ARRG! (DUMB transactions with revolvers)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I'll bet that each of us has made at least one "dumb (delete your favorite
expletive from here)" sale/trade of a revolver and still regret it.

Mine was a Ruger RedHawk in 7" .357. Bought it for my son as he went
into the Navy. He LOVED a 4" .357 I have and I figured it would be a nice
surprise for him once he got out. Well . . . . the little dunce got himself into
trouble with the Navy (drugs I think) and ended up with a DD.

What did Dad do?
He traded off that RedHawk on a Ruger rifle.
DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! :roll:
A long barrel .357 shoots almost like a .22. NO EXCUSE! :roll:

Anyone else have an equally (or maybe only close) brain fart? :D

You are not alone! My dumbest involved a Colt custom shop brushed stainless python and early Ruger Bisley Hunter in 41 mag. Had to have the Bisley Hunter so swapped it straight across one of our more reknown members here was on the other end and I bet he is still chuckling! :D :D No ill will towards him at all, just stupidity on my part :oops:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Mine isn't as bad, but still annoys me. I worked for Academy Sports and Outdoors when I was in college, and specifically I worked behind the gun counter. They had this thing called a VIP Program where all I had to do was take some online product knowledge courses and I could purchase one gun a year from Ruger (as well as other manufacturers) at a vastly discounted price. I completed the training and called the Ruger representative up and ordered a Single Six Hunter and out-the-door, it was $346.00...

I shot it several times and hunted with it a few times and loved it, but I wasn't crazy about the V-notch rear sight, and I really wanted to convert it to a Bisley frame. Long story short I ended up trading it towards the purchase of a Mk III Hunter about a year later. Didn't lose money, but now I really want one of those again. The rear sight is an easy fix, and I'm fairly certain the Bisley conversion wouldn't be too hard for me or a local gunsmith I know to figure out. So stupid!

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
I had a S&W M-13, 3" barrel, really nice shooting gun. I was in college, in Daytona Beach, got into scuba diving, and took the pistol to a gunshow there. I sold it to buy scuba gear. That scuba gear has long been worn out. I doubt I could have wore that Smith out, at least not so fast as I did that used scuba gear.

Sold an early 686, 4" to buy a new 629, 6", that was in '89. I wish I had that 686 back too.

Sold the 629 to buy a SRH.

Sold the SRH, bought a SBH Bisley.

Just sold the Bisley a month or so ago, bought a Single Seven.

This is the first time since '89 that I have been without a 44 Mag. I do have a Bisley flattop 44 Special, so not feeling too bad about it.

tinman

Buckeye
Colt Detective Special bought NIB 1979.....traded for (my first of several) Walther PPK/S in about 1985........I really liked that little .38

gunman42782

Hunter
Dumbest trade I ever did was trade a Colt Anaconda for a Browning A Bolt Medalian .223. The dang rifle wouldn't shoot worth a crap, and 4 months later Colt stopped making Anaconda's, and of course you all know what they go for now!

Don Lovel

Hunter
I traded off a S&W 625 Mountain gun in 45 Colt. Beautiful pistol that shot really good with CorBon 265gr JSP ammo.
When I see how much they bring on Gunbroker these days and how rare it is to see one for sale, I am just sick about it.
Worst was when my daughter got arrested I sold a red pad Ruger #1A light sporter in 243 with a Redfield scope on it for about half what they bring these days to raise lawyer money for her

mart

Bearcat
One of the dumbest was one I didn't buy. A friend had a small gun shop and got in a Colt Anaconda 44 magnum with the camouflage finish, complete with the matching scope. He had it on the shelf for a couple years and could hardly give it away. He offered it to me at his bare bones cost. I was coming up on my seasonal lay off and knew I shouldn't be buying any guns at the time. Looking back I wish I had sold something to get it.

gunzo

Hunter
Hindsight is the best vision most will ever have.

About everything mentioned here is easily replaceable, the economics may by different, but doesn't that stand true for about anything? Scarce guns are easier to find now than they've ever been. Might take a day or a year, but doable.

I've had some gun regrets same as the rest. But, I tell myself that "I didn't have a crystal ball". That's my standard answer when people ask me if I'm sick over getting rid of some of the cars I had "back in the day". :cry:

In the spirit of the thread, a couple of revolver examples:
OMSBH #5x
OMFT44 #11x

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
On the plus side, I got my Ex a Bearcat in '66 for $39.95 from J.C. Penny.
Come the divorce ten years later, she said she didn't want it and it followed
me to my new house. :D

I sold it in '80 for $200 . . . . . . . Then bought a stainless version after they
started making them again, for $400 . . . Sigh.
(LOVE the little bugger :D )

Made a couple, but I'm too embarrassed to tell ya about them.

Let's just say they contributed to my current philosophy of NEVER getting rid of a gun . . . NEVER!

:oops: :roll: :oops:

32magfan

Blackhawk
I once traded a laminated stock ss 10/22 and a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt for a S & W 625-5 straight up. I bought an example of the 10/22 last year but I won't be able to touch the Trapper. Live and learn....

I usually just keep 'em now. :mrgreen: I bought a twin 625-5 a couple of years ago- I like pairs.

32Magfan

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I bought my 256 Hawkeye new and threw the box away because it wouldn't fit comfortably in my carry-on luggage. Legal in those days.
Recently purchased a well used box for 7 times what I originally paid for my 85.00 single shot.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Pat-inCO said:
I'll bet that each of us has made at least one "dumb (delete your favorite
expletive from here)" sale/trade of a revolver and still regret it.

Mine was a Ruger RedHawk in 7" .357. Bought it for my son as he went
into the Navy. He LOVED a 4" .357 I have and I figured it would be a nice
surprise for him once he got out. Well . . . . the little dunce got himself into
trouble with the Navy (drugs I think) and ended up with a DD.

What did Dad do?
He traded off that RedHawk on a Ruger rifle.
DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! :roll:
A long barrel .357 shoots almost like a .22. NO EXCUSE! :roll:

Anyone else have an equally (or maybe only close) brain fart? :D

What kind of Ruger rifle?

Back in the 80's I had a good friend working at one of favorite gun shops,...he called me one day to tell me that a old timer had just come in and wanted to sell his collection of 1911's....as he was retiring and needed the cash. The gun store didn't make him an offer because the demand for 1911's wasn't what it was today.

I was 'into' 1911's and reading everything that Jeff Cooper wrote and was saving up for my trip to Gunsite to take the 250 course...(API250 for those who understand). I connected with the gentleman and he offered me the entire collection for about $200.00 a gun...most were US marked specimens....I passed.

They were about 35 of them and it was just too rich for me at the time, I opened a restaurant instead.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I was a real idiot the day I traded a really nice and professionally tuned S&W 648 for a 20ga shotgun I don't even own any more. It shot under 2" at 50yds with the standard 40gr Winchester load. I was also a big dummy the day I paid $200 for a really ragged out 4" .38-44HD that wasn't worth saving. Haven't regretted parting with any of the Rugers I've sold or traded. On the contrary, one of my best deals involved trading a stainless Redhawk for a really nice 6½" .38-44, that I ended up trading for a Mundenized 629MG. The .38-44 was later sent to Bowen to become a .45Colt.