Redhawk Return Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Hey all!

I have mentioned in a few threads that I recently returned my 1-year old Redhawk .45 LC/.45 ACP for repairs, light primer strikes. (Second time I've sent it back, BTW.)

I just got a call from Ruger telling me that it was irreparable and they offered to replace it with a new one. I accepted their offer, and was told that it would have to be shipped to an FFL since it has a new serial number. They have my LGS on file, and will ship it there. They also offered to pay the transfer fee (he charges $25).

I asked what was wrong with the old gun, the reply was "excessive headspace and the firing pin hole is too shallow".

The only "catch" is that I'll have to wait until these guns are in production to get a replacement, she was uncertain when that would be, but hopes for 2-3 weeks.

DPris

Buckeye
Good of them to replace, but annoying that they still insist on sending replacements to an FFL.
Denis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I regret that Ruger seems to be making smaller batches of guns than they used to. It seems they can't get all the bugs worked out before they stop making a particular model and move on to something else. It probably has a lot to do with lag time between production and sales of certain models. It used to be that when they went into production of a new model those guns would be available for several years before their was a break in production. Now-a-days new models seem to have a shelf life of only a few months.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger has always rotated production in batches.
That's all this is.
Doesn't mean the model's dead.

This particular one has more of a limited demand than others, so I can see Ruger making smaller batches of it before rotating around to something made in higher batch numbers simply because of demand.

They can't keep all models in simultaneous production, they don't have the production capability to do that.
Denis

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Hopefully you get the new revolver soon and don't really need it before it gets to you. I would be happy to get a new revolver from the factory, despite the inconveniences and irritation of having to send it back more than once (or even once for that matter). That is a great revolver in a great cartridge, and hopefully the new one shoots great as it should.

Now you need a nice lever action in .45LC to go with it, if you don't already have one.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
planetcat said:
Now you need a nice lever action in .45LC to go with it, if you don't already have one.

Thanks for the thoughts, and I'm sure I'll be fine until the new gun arrives.

As to the Lever Action.45LC... :mrgreen: I bought it on GunBroker, it showed up last Wednesday. Marlin 1894, 20" barrel.
Here it is with my Bisley .45 LC:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Got a call from my LGS that the replacement has arrived at his shop. Unfortunately I was out of state. Southeast Utah! On the way home now, but will get to town after he's closed. I'll pick her up in the morning. I sure hope this one doesn't have to go back. Ever!

ditto1958

Blackhawk
BPGuy said:
Got a call from my LGS that the replacement has arrived at his shop. Unfortunately I was I. Southeast Utah! On the way home now, but will get to town after he's closed. I'll pick her up in the morning. I sure hope this one doesn't have to go back. Ever!

Good news. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Just picked it up, at lunch h now. I'm sure it looks just like any other, but if y'all want a picture, I'll get one up in a little while.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
First of all, sorry for the picture quality! I'm not a great photographer to say the least. As much trouble as I had getting them up, it's a wonder I'm posting anything!

Anyway, here are two shots of how it looked when it came out of the box:

And here it is after I installed the Pachmeyr Grippers and the rear sight replacement. What doesn't show is that I also installed a Wolff 12 lb. main spring.

I hope to take it shooting on Monday morning.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DPris said:
Good of them to replace, but annoying that they still insist on sending replacements to an FFL.
Denis
Legally, Ruger has no choice. Since the gun has a new serial number, it has to be transfered through an FFL.

DPris

Buckeye
No, it does not.
This is a Ruger policy, it is not law.
They CAN ship a replacement directly to the owner, new serial & all, under ATF rules.
Denis

Enigma

Hunter
DPris said:
No, it does not.
This is a Ruger policy, it is not law.
They CAN ship a replacement directly to the owner, new serial & all, under ATF rules.
Denis

Agreed; I had another manufacturer replace a handgun, and they shipped it directly to me. In a retarded, commie state, FWIW.

DPris

Buckeye
So did I, and numerous other people, in dealing with other companies.

This is an annoyance with Ruger, requiring extra time & effort on the gun owner's part if a defective gun has to be replaced.
Denis

DPris said:
So did I, and numerous other people, in dealing with other companies.

This is an annoyance with Ruger, requiring extra time & effort on the gun owner's part if a defective gun has to be replaced.
Denis

How does that work? Doesn't the FFL holder then have to "run it thru his books" and wouldn't that then involve a 4473? Inconvenience for the FFL guy, perhaps making him want to charge a fee . . .

:?: :roll: :?:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Yes, I had to fill out all the paperwork that one associates with a new gun purchase (or an online purchase through an FFL). But, on the bright side, I wasn't charged! Not sure if it was intentional or an oversight (we were talking about other issues, too), and I didn't even realize it until I was home. If he had charged me a transfer fee, I wouldn't have objected. He has to keep the lights on, too.

I don't begrudge the dealer his fee, if reasonable. My point merely was that the return-to-dealer policy produces several inconveniences, some financial. It's very likely a lawyer-created piece of CYA nonsense.

:roll:

DPris

Buckeye
When Ruger insists on shipping a replacement for a defective gun to an FFL, it has to go through the regular process all over again.
4473, background check, dealer bound book, the whole shebang.

Most dealers charge a fee, some don't.
The owner has to drive to the dealer, spend the time, go through the process, probably spend the money on another transfer fee, and drive the gun home again.

When I got a replacement years ago, it was dropped off at my front door.
Today, if I had to pick one up at my dealer, it'd be a 45-mile round trip drive, added to the time spent going through the paperwork.

I've spent a lotta money on Rugers over the past 45 years, but the company does have its quirks & that policy is one of 'em.
Denis

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Well, more bad news. I took the new Redhawk shooting today; that wasn't the bad news. The bad news came when I tried to take it apart for cleaning; the Trigger Link Plunger/Trigger Guard Latch wouldn't budge. Not at all! It looks as if it is already sticking out enough to remove the trigger guard assembly, but it doesn't budge, either. God only knows what's wrong now. On it's way back to Ruger tomorrow...