Bearcat swap back to old action help needed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
so I get the never fired looking 1968 bearcat and it is beautiful. but find it has the transfur bar in it. must have been converted. I have a shooter 1972 that hasn't been converted. Can I just take them apart and switch them around and make the 68 back to un converted and the 72 safe to be a six shot shooter not 5 ?? the hammer is in the swap correct. hate to loose the nice hammer in the 68.mite jewel the other if I have to use it.

any info to help would be sweet

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, as Fox Mike posted, no problem.

1. All parts will swap, there was no machining of the frame to make the conversion. Swap all the parts except the cyl hands. They are the same part whether converted or not, but they are fitted to the cyl for proper timing.

2. Yes, the '72 model will then be safe with all 6 chambers loaded.

3. If you prefer the cool wide spur hammer in the '68 model, no problem: buy another wide spur hammer from Ruger or Brownells for a current Bearcat. The retrofit parts are the same parts used in the NM Bearcats that are made with the transfer bar. (In fact any NM Bearcat can have old parts installed in it and turned into an old model, only safe with 5 loaded.)

You will need to make one simple modification to the NM wide spur hammer to work with the old parts; file off the step on the hammer face so the hammer will reach the firing pin w/o a transfer bar installed.

Here's my OM Super Bearcat with NM Super hammer. I'm not a grip maker, but I designed and made my idea of an improved but factory like grip for it. Something to fill my hand a little more on this diminutive Ruger SA that still had a traditional look the same as other Ruger SA grips do. I installed the current small Bearcat medallions for a factory look but relocated them higher and moved forward for correct proportion. They appear and feel like standard Ruger grips on all other size SA Rugers. They still need a final sanding and coat of oil.

orig.jpg

Hondo44 said:
Here's my OM Super Bearcat with NM Super hammer. I'm not a grip maker, but I designed and made my idea of an improved but factory like grip for it. Something to fill my hand a little more on this diminutive Ruger SA that still had a traditional look the same as other Ruger SA grips do. I installed the current small Bearcat medallions for a factory look but relocated them higher and moved forward for correct proportion. They appear and feel like standard Ruger grips on all other size SA Rugers. They still need a final sanding and coat of oil.

orig.jpg

Very nice, Hondo! Subtle and "clean," I like it!

Had I seen the pic without your explanation, I perhaps would have thought something "wasn't quite right"- but I would have looked at it a long time before putting it all together... :p

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
Fox Mike said:
Should be no trouble. You are essentially making a Super Bearcat the one with a conversion and the 68 to an unconverted. Take all from one and put it in the other.[/quo
THANKS that's everything I needed to do it . I to like those grips.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Yes, as Fox Mike posted, no problem.

1. All parts will swap, there was no machining of the frame to make the conversion. Swap all the parts except the cyl hands. They are the same part whether converted or not, but they are fitted to the cyl for proper timing.

2. Yes, the '72 model will then be safe with all 6 chambers loaded.

3. If you prefer the cool wide spur hammer in the '68 model, no problem: buy another wide spur hammer from Ruger or Brownells for a current Bearcat. The retrofit parts are the same parts used in the NM Bearcats that are made with the transfer bar. (In fact any NM Bearcat can have old parts installed in it and turned into an old model, only safe with 5 loaded.)

You will need to make one simple modification to the NM wide spur hammer to work with the old parts; file off the step on the hammer face so the hammer will reach the firing pin w/o a transfer bar installed.

orig.jpg

THANKS that's everything I needed to know. I like those grips also.