Different GP-100 , Valuation Request

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk

I've had this one a few years now and really have never seen another like it at least in blue. Time has come to consider a new home and I'm curious what the GP experts think. Looks like at some point the cylinder had the leading edge chamferred and while it looks good I'm sure it's destroyed any potential collector value. Any rarity to the configuration? Thanks all.

DPris

Buckeye
Looks factory original.
Not commonly found in that configuration in blue.
I'm almost tempted to make you an offer. :)
Denis

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Haven't made the decision to let it go just yet. Kinda trying to decide what to keep right now.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
My lgs just sold for me my gp-100, 4", half lug, fixed sights blued from around 2001 or so for $650 if that helps. No chamfered cylinder though. Mine was in 95% condition with original grips.

hittman

Staff member
Several others here know more about these than me but ..... I'm thinking they may have been for the Canadian military or law enforcement. :?: :?:

Can't tell you about the cylinder though ..... we need Chet15 to chime in for sure.

I've got the 3-inch fixed site GPs in stainless and blued but not the 4-inch. Nice looking gun for sure.

Think the 38 Special guns are more scarce. I've never seen a cylinder like that except for the WC edition.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
planetcat said:
My lgs just sold for me my gp-100, 4", half lug, fixed sights blued from around 2001 or so for $650 if that helps. No chamfered cylinder though. Mine was in 95% condition with original grips.

Helps a lot, thanks very much.

chet15

Hawkeye
Looks like a GPF-340 if .357 or GPF-840 if it is a .38 Special.
Yeah...its all original...not too popular of a model though...and the reason they don't make them any more.
Chet15

mike4570

Bearcat
Had one of these a while back. Replaced the springs with a set from Wolff and Lord what a difference. Sorry I let it get away. You might think about keeping it.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Ayuh...

GPF-340...

Serial number makes it 1989

I have the same in stainless (KGPF-340), and while mine is chamfered, it is nowhere near that extent...

23vj9kp.jpg

DPris

Buckeye
If I didn't already have my 1988 stainless version, I WOULD be sending an email. :)
I like the half-lug barrels.
Denis

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
No doubt that it's a heckuva good gun and solid as a rock. Shoots very well also. I think if I keep it I'll be tempted to send it off to remove the barrel warning and have it hard chromed, then it'll have to stay here. I first wanted to be sure I wasn't ruining something with collector value and then I have to decide if I want to sink more cash into it. I appreciate the info and opinions, that's why I consult smart people.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
As with all guns I'm considering selling, it'll go to the range one last time (maybe) to see if it can make the case.

Terry T

Buckeye
Mine does not have the leading edge of the cylinder chamferred. Same gun, otherwise.
I've not see such a chamfered edge on any other GP-100.
Would be nice to know the history behind the chamfering.
Terry T

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Well, I made my decision and I'm going to let it go. I'll have a posting in the classifieds in a bit. Thanks to all for the help.

chet15

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
If Ruger made a KGPF-840 with adjustable sights I would gladly pay a very handsome price for one.

Ruger DA's in .38 special with adjustable sights were made in limited quantity for foreign countries, but have never been popular in the states.
If you ever see such an animal, it is more than likely a leftover from one of the foreign contracts.
Chet15