juan motime!! update:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
after a day at the range last week, having fired 15 rounds of .454 in the ol' sbh bisley (which has been back twice for re-barreling), the barrel (as usual) was completely and utterly copper fouled. it is still a pitted mess, to be frank. terrible (please refer to my other tread for history on this abomination). it is going back AGAIN, for a THIRD time. i've a mind to include a note stating that if they can't fix it, keep it. i don't want it! i'll also remind them to please attach the front sight properly, and please don't forget the base pin lock screw hole this time- that gun needs it. stay tuned, if you feel like it.

p.s., still haven't heard back from the ceo... :lol:
i just got a call back from the mothership. nice lady said i would probably not be satisfied with their current batch of barrels, and i can either select a substitution, or send proof of purchase for a refund. nice of them, but definitely not what i was hoping for. sounds like the barrel issue will never be resolved.

G2

Hunter
I have read your original thread several times,,,,

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=243731

I aquired a 454 & 480 right after they came out, 790XX range, several trips to the range and this gun had me thinking I had developed a severe flinch, I could not get 5 shots on a paper plate, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: barrel fouled beyond belief and the top of the throat collected lead. At 100 rounds I gave up and moved onto the 480,,, not as bad, but it's not right either.

I have no confidence that Ruger will fix it right, have talked with a 3 custom gunsmiths and they all have re-barreled several of these guns, both calibers.

Both of mine are headed off to get 5.5" octagon barreled. Stay tuned, pictures posted when I get em back.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
How does it shoot?
consistently inconsistent. velocities increase the first 10 shots, and then fall off, and i'm not talking a small amount, either. a couple hundred feet per second, most loads... same with accuracy. it'll shoot the start of a nice group, and then start spraying.

Sounds like Ruger has some serious issues with these guns, I have held off buying one because of what I have been reading and hearing from trusted owners...

Getting to the point, and I cannot believe I am saying this, to move away from Ruger. They have lost their soul in my opinion and sold out to corporate America/Wall Street. WBR would be b*llsh*t to see what has happened to the company he led for over 50 years. Quality seems to have taken the biggest hit in the quest for the all mighty $$$$.

Tom W

Blackhawk
My youngest son got a .480 when they first came out. It had hard extraction, broke a cheap scope ( which was no surprise) but without the scope was very accurate. So I had to have one. I didn't have any problems with mine. I was only shooting my handloads with 400 gr.pb rcbs cast. My son brought his empty brass so we could load his and had trouble sizing some of the cases. After several measurements we found that one or more of the chambers was not round, but oval shape. He took the revolver back to the dealer who sent it back to Ruger. It was returned in about two weeks with a new cylinder and barrel. He still has his, I stupidly traded mine off.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ask for (and CC) shareholder relations.
Personally I'd track down the direct phone numbers for the plant manager and manufacturing manager for the plant.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I got a SRH 454 when they first came out and it shot accurately but over the chronograph posted some surprisingly low numbers compared to my other two 454's I had that day. Well the BCG was .10 and chamber mouths were 457 . ---reason for slow velocity. I sent it back to Ruger and promptly got it back as "within factory specs" . BCG from .02 to.10 and chamber mouths .449 to .457 . My gun fell into those parameters and no need for repair. I sold it!

kooz

Blackhawk
Nh Rugerman said:
Getting to the point, and I cannot believe I am saying this, to move away from Ruger. .

I feel the same way, it is a shame that they are putting out so much trash lately . They atleast used to be more like kit guns , they still need to be finished, open up cyl throats, clean up trigger recut forcing cone etc. . But now they are putting out such trash that the parts cant be reused, they must be replaced . IF I bought another, it would have to be a deal where I can physically look at and inspect the gun .

Prescut

Single-Sixer
This very hard to read for all us Ruger fans.
We thought we had a company that we could trust. I think that was our mistake.
We shouldn't trust companies, we should trust people.
It's the same story with loyalty.

Did something happen to the Ruger people? Did they lose their ethics?
How does that happen?

I've only had one bad experience, but it left me very cold. I heard on the other side of the phone that dreaded Ruger cliche, "Screw you".
Oh no, that's not right. I remember now, I heard "That's within factory specs".

P89DC

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Three people here with a compromised product out of how many sold? I hate it for you, but they aren't ALL like yours obviously. Just saying.
gramps
Sadly, it appears this is what Ruger's engineer team says too. The idea that there isn't a QC problem at Ruger would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

gramps said:
Three people here with a compromised product out of how many sold? I hate it for you, but they aren't ALL like yours obviously. Just saying.
gramps

I agree, I'll even take it a step further. Most of the Ruger QC stinks threads here are ripe with complaints about fit and finish "problems" that only exist in one persons eyes. I believe it was member 5 of 7 who once said "I don't buy guns to fondle and admire, I buy them to shoot". If a gun functions fine, then I'm good with it, I shoot my guns regularly and they all get minor nicks, scratches, and blemishes over time. I've worked at a car dealership since 1985, I've seen hundreds of cars that were traded in, or bought back because of lemon law, that were resold and the new owner got years of trouble free service from their "lemon". While I believe that there are guns with problems out there, I do not believe that Ruger has any sort of a major QC issue.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
...I've worked at a car dealership since 1985, I've seen hundreds of cars that were traded in, or bought back because of lemon law, that were resold and the new owner got years of trouble free service from their "lemon"....
Hmm, American cars in the 80's...I searched using the term, "American car quality in the 80s" and all the hits are just how bad it was in the 80's and how it impacted market share. As an example, GM's market share dropped from 50% to just over 20% from 1975 to 1995. Most experts attribute this drop to low QC compared to foreign rivals, esp the Japanese cars. Based on your experience, were those American car lemon purchasers were as mis-informed as the Ruger lemon purchasers of today?

Car quality? One of the highest rated vehicles you can buy is a used Toyota Tacoma pickup...

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/tacoma/2008/reliability

...even though they have a minor issue, they break in half...

qkrLR0h.jpg

...it's all relative.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
bisley is on his way back to the mothership. i included a note indicating that they can keep it if they can't fix it. rationalize it all you want, it has come back with different problems every time, and the barrel has been bad every time. does it shoot? well, yes, and so did the iron pipe gravel guns we made in junior high. it's like an engine- almost anything will run... for a while. the bisley is not a 3000.00 freedom arms revolver, granted, but it was ~1000.00, which should buy a pretty good single action revolver, in my worthless opinion. my other rugers have nice barrels, some are extremely nice. there is no excuse for what i received, or what happened each time it went back. none.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A company will produce exactly the number of defects which it allows, no more, no less.

Posted at the risk of upsetting the mediocre workers at Ruger... Management included.