My Newest Custom Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JACJR1911

Bearcat
I don't post all that often by check this site almost daily.
I previously posted about a Security Six that my gunsmith rescued after it was butchered by a well known national "pistol smith". If what he did to my gun is typical of his work he should stick to water pistols going forward. Anyway, my smith not only salvaged the gun, he transformed it into a family heirloom.
I was so happy with his work, I gave him a recently acquired stainless 6" Security Six and asked him to rework the gun along the same lines. As I intend to use this gun for hog and deer hunting I wanted the barrel only reduced about an inch. I have a S&W Model 27 with a 5 inch barrel and I find this length to be ideal for all around use.
Attached is a link to my smith's blog post describing the work to the stainless Six. It is even better looking "in person": http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/06/another-modern-revolver.html
For those of you who missed my original post, attached is a link to the Ruger described in the 1st full paragraph above: http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/01/now-for-something-completely-different.html
Best,
Joe

contender

Ruger Guru
I recall your earlier posting.

Sounds like you are enjoying more fine Ruger goodness.

But the comment about the 5" S&W model 27 caught my eye. Ol' Skeeter Skelton was very fond of that one as well. In fact,,, back in the late 1970's because of him,, I bought my 1st (of 5) Model 27's in 5". In 1984,, my 4th one was sold after my big mouth told a guy who was bugging me to sell it to him, a very high price, to which he agreed to pay. Well it took a long while for me to get my 5th one,, and I still have that one. Those guns do feel quite nice all around.

JACJR1911

Bearcat
Contender
I'm a big Skeeter fan as well. I've re-read his books "Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey" and "Hoglegs, Hipshots and Jalapenos" more than a few times. Skeeter and Dennis A Camp are two of my favorite gunwriters, both gone too soon. I have the 5" S&W 27 and a 3.5" 27. Both a well used favorites.
Best
Joe

JACJR1911

Bearcat
Thank you! I've owned an OM Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum for over 20 years but only recently came to appreciate the Security Six line. They really are excellent revolvers.
Joe

Enigma

Hunter
Two very nice revolvers! Your gunsmith is a true artist in steel! Mind telling us who jacked up your revolver? I'd sure like to avoid him!

JStacy

Blackhawk
The Python barrel on a S&W K frame or a Ruger security six was a popular conversion in the 70's . The Python barrels usually delivered first rate accuracy but the mismatch of the thread pitch was often done as a "close enough" fitting. Some Miged the thread area , turned it and recut the threads , which usually warped the root of the barrel but it was trendy to have a Smython or Rolt . Other gun smith simply built a new barrel , threaded it properly and fit it to a Ruger SS or S&W. Some very accurate revolvers were produced in those PPC days.