RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:56 pm 
Newly Registered

Background
I am looking just to shoot for pleasure, pack gun when hiking or camping, and to have a 44mag in the inventory.
I already have 2 GP100s but have no single action revolvers. Should I expand to a single action or stay with a double action revolver. Looking for opinions to sway mine. I'm stuck so any help is appreciated. Thank you
Im looking at the 5.5" blued redhawk, 4" redhawk, the 3.75" SBH or the 4.5" SBH blued version.
Theyre all so nice but i can only justify buying one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:03 pm 

Welcome to the Forum.
I'll admit I'm a double action guy. I do not shoot the big caliber single actions well at all. If I were to get another 41 or 44 Mag single action it would have to be with the Bisley grip frame. The plow handle grip frame doesn't suit me well.

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm 
Blackhawk

If you are actually going to use it the way you stated I would opt for the 4" Redhawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:30 pm 
Single-Sixer

The obvious answer is "get both."

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:48 pm 
Hunter

I like the way the Super Blackhawk's shoot. Get the 4 5/8 SBH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm 
Hunter

Or for CCW,, the 10.5 Super Blackhawk. With a paddle holster. No one will notice!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm 
Hawkeye

I would suggest you talk to your buddies and see if you can find friends with both guns and try shooting them before you decide. I have both, I like both and wouldn't be without them. But IMO the Ruger Alaskans is one of the easiest to shoot. FWIW. YMMV I like the SBH's because I've used once for 50 years and they point very well for me. But I also like the Redhawk as it fit's my hand slightly better. I've got the shorter barrels, as well as 4-5/8 and 5-1/2" and prefer the 5-1/2" I prefer the looks of the 4-5/8" talking SBH's here. I've got all three choices of Alaskans and they handle well. You don't get as much wrist torque out of them. Do your self a favor. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY if there is any way you can. The 44 while a lot of folks shoot them, it is a handful for a lot of other folks. You are looking at spending a lot of money. Also consider going with one of those guns that can handle 44 mag, but use hot load 44 specials in it from Buffalo Bore ammo. Good compromise.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Last edited by Bear Paw Jack on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:07 pm 
Hawkeye

If your a double action guy a RedHawk may suit you best. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:17 pm 
Hawkeye

I can generally shoot a DA revolver better than an SA revolver. That said, I still shoot SA revolvers far more often than my DA's.

At one time or another, I've owned most of the Redhawk variations. Finally distanced myself from them completely, as they are just so big. The only DA .44 remaining is a Model 29. Much more trim.

So, ya just gotta try them all, as what is big and cumbersome to me might just fit you perfectly.

WAYNO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:55 pm 
Single-Sixer

4" Redhawk is probably the strongest of four revolvers you mentioned, and would hold up very well to being lugged around outdoors and/or fired frequently.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:34 pm 
Single-Sixer

I have both, a 4.2" Redhawk in .44 Magnum and a 4 3/4" Stainless Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. I have owned the Redhawk about 18 months and the Super Blackhack six months. I probably shoot both with the same level of accuracy, I can hit small targets like soda cans out to 20 yards, 8" swinging steel out to 40 yards.

Some things learned while packing both revolvers around my property:

The Super Blackhawk is noticeably lighter while packing. Could be my holsters, I have a "Tom Threepersons" style for the Super Blackhawk, and a thumb break retention style (leather Blackhawk brand) for the Redhawk.

The Super Blackhawk was cheaper, both revolvers special ordered through my local dealer, Redhawk was $820, the Super Blackhawk was $619.

I like the double action capability of the Redhawk, could mean the difference in a defensive situation, but I don't forsee having to use it in the field.

For me, both have the same practical accuracy. I handload .44 Magnum and shoot a lot of it, can't tell the difference accuracy wise between the two.

You won't be disappointed with either one, I'll leave you with some pics of both revolvers with their companion rifles, Ruger 77/44 and a Rossi 92:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 pm 
Hawkeye

I live in middle Tn. I have a SBH in 44mag with the 4 5/8 inch barrel, and a Redhawk with the 4.2 inch barrel. Usually off Tuesday and Wednesday. If you want to shoot them PM me to work out time and place.
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:42 pm 
Hawkeye

Nice guns, and good shooting MagForce
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm 
Blackhawk

I really like 44 Mags and have several. My 5.5" Redhawk is the one I judge all others against. I've had it since 1983 and can't begin to guess how many rounds have gone down its barrel. It would be the last one I would ever let go. I had a 4.2" and really for me it carried no better than the 5.5 so I let it go. I really like SA revolvers but the 5.5" RH is just about perfect.n

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 am 
Ruger Guru

Lots of good advice above. Bear Paw Jack has it right. Find guns to test before you buy & figure out which one YOU like the best.

Some folks prefer one or the other,,, so the final choice HAS to be yours based upon what YOU like.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA