Frankenvolver or a rare bird?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

preeb

Bearcat
I found a low 4 digit serial (48xx) 44 FT Blackhawk.
It sports a XR3-RED GF, wide SBH trigger, late drop shaped ejector button, high polish finish with silver bird stag grips.
I will contact Ruger on Monday for shipping date but wanted to get some input in case anybody here has ever heard of such thing.

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977X.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2979X.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
A nice,,,, 1957 built OM 44 FT. The grip frame, grips & trigger were not installed by the factory. The ejector rod is not a Ruger part. The base pin appears correct.
A common parts swap done here. Nice gun too!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
An extremely nice 44. But I agree, a custom and likely reblued.

The XR3-red grip frame is known on very late shipped 44 FTs and are rare. But not with a 4 digit #. However, can't say for sure without a factory letter with ship date. I'd get one.

Is the recoil plate with the firing pin hole, "in the white" or blued? If blued the gun has been re-blued.

Colt ejector and stags are after factory additions. Very common additions on my Rugers:

New Vaquero .45 Colt Montado with contoured trigger web, Blackhawk standard hammer, Stags, and Colt ER button:
medium800.jpg

orig.jpg

Tip

Single-Sixer
I agree with the above comments regarding your flattop being a custom, after factory revolver.

But, MAN!... She's a beauty! I'd be proud to have her in the stable. :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
I wouldn't call it a "custom" with only drop in parts but certainly not as Ruger shipped it. Real nice sixgun, though I prefer the original XR3 over the RED. :)

preeb

Bearcat
I also strongly believe it is a custom done right but wanted to touch base here just in case. You never know with Rugers...
Spoke with Ruger this morning so hoping to nail it later today.
Not sure if I want to keep this revolver @ 900$... may be a little too much for a Frankenvolver even though a very nice one indeed (-;

BearBio

Buckeye
CraigC said:
I wouldn't call it a "custom" with only drop in parts but certainly not as Ruger shipped it. Real nice sixgun, though I prefer the original XR3 over the RED. :)

adjective
1.Made to order: custom suits.
2.Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

Adjective

1. made in a different way from usual, specially to fit one's needs: My feet are as big as powerboats, so I need custom shoes.

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/custom#xWWuEFU2WoHJfiwW.99

Definitions vary.

street

Hunter
BearBio said:
CraigC said:

adjective
2.Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

Adjective

1. made in a different way from usual, specially to fit one's needs: My feet are as big as powerboats, so I need custom shoes.

Definitions vary.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
CraigC said:

adjective

Adjective

Definitions vary.
Sorry professor but swapping a grip frame and ejector rod does not constitute a custom gun. Nowhere near the same ballpark as the work performed by custom shoemakers, tailors or gunsmiths. I just took possession of a SBH shortened and tuned by Hamilton Bowen with his "custom" front sight and it is not what most would consider a custom gun. :roll:

BearBio

Buckeye
Sorry professor but swapping a grip frame and ejector rod does not constitute a custom gun. Nowhere near the same ballpark as the work performed by custom shoemakers, tailors or gunsmiths. I just took possession of a SBH shortened and tuned by Hamilton Bowen with his "custom" front sight and it is not what most would consider a custom gun. :roll:

By your definition, only a gun manufacturer (like Colt, Ruger, etc) could MAKE "custom" guns=EVERYBODY else modifies guns.
Sorry, I will continue to use English. You define (in your own mind) whatever you want

If I take a rusted out 32 Deuce and strip it down, BOLT ON fenders, BOLT IN a V-8 and a four speed, BOLT ON new rims and tires, SCREW ON new Chrome, PLATE OVER rusted parts and SPRAY ON a new paint job, you would consider it stock? Most people would think of it as "custom"!

BTW: I missed the election.....WHEN were you elected GOD of the "custom" gunslingers?

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:
If I take a rusted out 32 Deuce and strip it down, BOLT ON fenders, BOLT IN a V-8 and a four speed, BOLT ON new rims and tires, SCREW ON new Chrome, PLATE OVER rusted parts and SPRAY ON a new paint job, you would consider it stock? Most people would think of it as "custom"!

I like your analogy, but if applied to this particular revolver, a grip frame get's you wheels and tires only. :mrgreen:

And by the way, love the revolver! Beautiful!

preeb

Bearcat
Ruger have it listed as manufactured and shipped by Aug/1957.
So it IS a custom.. err.. I mean Shmustom (-;

BearBio

Buckeye
preeb said:
Ruger have it listed as manufactured and shipped by Aug/1957.
So it IS a custom.. err.. I mean Shmustom (-;

a "Classic"? :?:

I grew up around a cousin who made "rat bikes" in the late 50's and early 60's. Customs?

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio, you're arguing just to argue. You're obviously cherry-picking to produce an argument because of personal issues. Your analogy is REALLY reaching and easily debunked but I'm not going to indulge you.

Five minutes with a screwdriver swapping out two parts does not a custom gun make. My comment about it was not intended to call anyone out or to induce a brawl. Lighten up. :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
MaxP said:
I like your analogy, but if applied to this particular revolver, a grip frame get's you wheels and tires only. :mrgreen:
Exactly! If we're doing a car analogy, wheels & tires would be comparable. My 2012 Charger has wheels, tires and exhaust. Only a starry-eyed 12yr old would consider it a "custom car". I'm taking delivery of wheels & tires for my Ram 2500 this morning. Will that make it a "custom"?

No.

Now, my 1983 S-10 would be considered a "custom" and very little about it is "bolt-on". Triangulated four link, coilover suspension, narrowed 3/4-ton axles and a swapped-in V8 with EFI constitute a lot more than simple wrench turning.