apparently cursed by Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
wolfee said:
wayno, the bean counters do get the last word. Curious how the handfull of companies where the the beancounters are told to be quiet and go away are thriving. Steinway pianos, Mercedes automobiles and Beluga caviar never have a recession--or an unprofitable year. Freedom Arms is usually backed up 6 months on new orders as well. I don't think those guys even have an accountant.
Mercedes cars are junk today - look at the resale value. Their quality took a big hit when they owned Chrysler and saw how bad a car the American's would buy. A friend bought a 300 MB for his wife. Engine took a dump at less than 5,000 miles. Dealer couldn't get to it right away as there were 3 ahead of him for new engines. I have no problem with bean counters and efficency experts finding a better way to build something as long as they don't destroy the product in the process - the Red Label comes to mind here. Big companies pay a bonus to employees who come up with cost saving ideas. My uncle got the max award from Ford ($25,000 in the 60s) when he came up with the simple idea of not wasting paint on the tops of cars that were going to be covered by vinyl tops anyway.

JStacy

Blackhawk
"It's call Probability and Statics, if there were only 2 defective units out of 3000 pieces, the probability of the sole two defective units arriving at a single customer is near zero " It would be .00004% and if the error rate held up Rugers, which makes 5,000,000 guns a year would only produce 3,333 guns per year that are defective and I bet it is a lot higher than that. The odds of same person getting two guns in the same month that are defective is truly small!
But when it happens to you it seems more important.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I don't know the percentage of faulty Rugers that make it out the door. Common sense will tell you that it is very small. Ruger is still in business and growing. I don't know what " Bill " would do, I didn't know the man. What I do know is that Ruger make a very fine firearm at a very good price. I AM NOT taking anything away from those who have received firearms that had to go back for repairs, but to think that nothing should get by QC is a far stretch of the imagination.

I am 57 years old and looking back I can not remember buying anything that I was 100% satisfied with. Most things I was satisfied I made a good purchase, but a handful of times I was not happy. I am thankful Ruger makes as good a product at a very affordable price as they do. I CAN NOT afford a Custom revolver. And yes new Freedom Arms revolvers do go back for repairs. I personally know of one that was sent back 2 times before a shot was fired. It was not back in a couple of weeks either time like a Ruger

I own 2 Rugers that needed work when new. A Single Seven got a new base pin and a 45 Vaquero got the throats reamed to .4525. Even after I made the repairs out of my pocket I was satisfied I made a very good purchase.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I was a class A machine tool builder I am a perfectionist when it comes to my trade. I built CNC lathes from 36" chucks to 144" chucks. My point is that quality also comes from the machine operators. Most companies let there QC department close. The machine operator does the first piece inspection. It's very sad to see errors when it could of been corrected.

Major T

Blackhawk
Call me lucky! My small group of Rugers have been mostly trouble free. Not to say that a little polishing in tHe triggers did pay off on a couple. My fleet: a couple of Mk I .22 pistols, a Bearcat about fifteen years old (trigger polished), a ss Single six convertible, an early ss .44 Special FT, a .44 Mag 50th Anniversary (fit and finish rivals 1910 era Colt SAAs with that one), and my stainless synthetic 580 Mini-14 shoots darn close to the magic inch with a good scope and a trigger job, using factory ammo.

I am stubborn and want to like No 1s. Over the years I have had six, maybe more. Fit and finish was fine. They just do not fit my physique. I can't get scopes back far enough, even with the ugly extension rings. I surrender on those. My only 77 experience was a tang safety .270 that I gifted my BIL. It was his only rifle. Every time he pulled the trigger, something, usually a mule deer or coyote, died.

Are my Rugers perfect? Close, but the two FT models could use fuller grips. I need to work on that. I do not think that any of my Rugers were made in the last eight years. The Mini and Single Six may be newer than I recall. Also, all except the Anniversary model, were purchased by me after looking them over at a retail store. The anniversary was a gift from my wife, selected with help from my SIL.

My experience with Ruger's CS has been good. New rear sight for a Mk I and ring swaps has been excellent.

Looking at new products, and not just from Ruger, I do understand what you guys are complaining about. Fit and finish has largely gone to pot from most makers. My only new gun purchase in the last couple of years is a CZ 527 .223. So far so good. New Marlins, most Remingtons, and S&W makes one barf just looking at them. Needless to say, my used gun selection usually put me back into the sixties and seventies, if not older. Guns were better then. Cars were not. The Japaneese made US auto makers mostly do better. Mercedes? Daughter and grandson both drive S550s. I would choose a Toyota Avalon or Lexus LS over the MB any day. My limo is a top of the line Toyota Van. My bride drives a baby Lincoln SUV. Almost 3k cheaper than a comparable Ford. Ford or Lincoln dealer, one screwed up, as list prices were close. No matter, she is happy.

Jack

tomgun

Bearcat
My first LCR .357 had to go back a month ago, the cylinder was not always locking after a fired round.
Apparently they couldn't fix it because they sent me a brand new one I haven't fired yet, it arrived yesterday. The lockup is way tighter on this one than the first gun. Hopefully it's a good one.
At least customer service is good...

JStacy

Blackhawk
It is interesting that Ruger did not want to send my Ruger American Ranch rifle back to me. They said they "prefer" to refund my money. I asked about the replacement that had originally been mentioned and was told that was not an option. When I asked why the CSR told me that I would not be happy with the rifle even if they replaced it ! Odd response. ? I may buy another 300BLK Ranch rifle ,because no one lese makes one for a reasonable price, but I will function at least the ejection problem in the gun shop before I purchase it.
The 327 turned out good when Ruger sent me a new set of springs ,installed them and all is good ?
I think there is more to the 300 BLK story than they are telling me !
I watched a video of Jeff Quin(Gun Blast) do a test run on a American ranch in 300blk . He fired the same ammo my gun would not fire consistently or eject at all. His gun fired and ejected every round of the Remington 120 HP ? Something fishy about mine ?

Dog Rough

Bearcat
I like S&W (no lock) and Ruger. Ruger are rough and robust, S&W refined but not so robust.

A wise old man once told me that S&W was the triumph of engineering over design, while Ruger is the triumph of design over engineering.

By 'engineering' I am sure that he meant machining and QC.

I think that Ruger quality is declining as the years roll by - almost at the stage where GP100 / SP101 (in particular) series revolvers are 80% finished kit guns that you always have to finish up at home, and sometimes must return to Ruger so they can get it right. At least they are faster than Taurus.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Dog Rough said:
I think that Ruger quality is declining as the years roll by - almost at the stage where GP100 / SP101 (in particular) series revolvers are 80% finished kit guns that you always have to finish up at home, and sometimes must return to Ruger so they can get it right. At least they are faster than Taurus.
^^^^
Now that's pretty funny! (but sad, as it might be getting close to the truth).

I think it's a result of Ruger's zeal to expand at too rapid a pace and the QC is getting slipshod. Surely the Ruger execs know what is going on, particularly out here in the customers' world with all the criticisms online?