.41 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
They did, low production #'s. Model #10408, Williams Shooters Supply ~ 2010

Here is some reading for you, quiz tomorrow... :wink:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/handgun_reviews_the_ruger_41_magnum_flattop_revolver_030411/

There was also this cluster on the first ones out, later there were just production guns.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=79791

azleite

Single-Sixer
G2, Thank's again for the links. After supper last night I took the time to read them all. That particular flattop will be a rare/hard bird to find. I'm 58 and hoping (dreaming) to retire at 62. I'm slowly but surely trying to acquire the guns I want over the next few years. I've always wanted a .41 & almost got a used NM Blackhawk a couple of years ago but it had sold before I got to it. Filed it under not meant to be. A lot of Folk's I know poo poo this cartridge as too expensive & what's it good for. I still want one. I reload & am interested in the .41 special, guess I'll ck out the regular Blackhawks & see what grabs me- Dave

mart

Bearcat
azleite said:
A lot of Folk's I know poo poo this cartridge as too expensive & what's it good for. I still want one. I reload & am interested in the .41 special, guess I'll ck out the regular Blackhawks & see what grabs me- Dave

There are no flies on the 41 magnum. I'm on my third one, a blued Bisley and like the round a lot. It is sufficient for the majority of handgun hunting needs. I carried a 6.5 inch Blackhawk for 20 years as my primary handgun, even in Alaska. Reloading really unlocks the 41's potential.

Good luck with your search for the flattop. I have one in 44 Special and really enjoy it.

bee-kay

Bearcat
I became interested in the .41 mag about 15 yrs ago and it's my favorite now.
Don't give up
Another plus to the .41 is that .410 shotshell wads are a proper fit in the barrel and you can reload decent shot loads that behave the way a shot load ought to behave, unlike the .410 shotgun shells that supposedly work in some .45 cal guns.
For myself the challenge has been to get what I want in stainless

azleite

Single-Sixer
Mart, I have a .44 spl FT as well in blue. It shoots way better than me! It's kinda what started this search. Bee-kay, I know where your coming from in reference to stainless. I bought a SS .357 BH recently that had to go back for some cosmetic issues. Returned good & is a good shooter. Maybe a SS Bisley in .41 mag, don't have one of those-Dave

G2

Hunter
When the NM flattops started to be reintroduced I was suprised of the quality, very good. I set out to rodeo one of each, then lost interest, have sold off a few including the 41mag, ONLY because I have a Acusport 5.5" Stainless Bisley that is one of my favorites, probably most favorite NM and it has been my go to hunting sidearm.

Might want to look at this one, good price, availability on these guns is spotty but there are a few on GB currently.

NDIH

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/651606148

mart

Bearcat
Roughly 25 years ago when I had both a NM Blackhawk 41 and a S&W 57 four inch, I set to prove to myself the 41 could handle heavy cast bullets just fine. At the time a myth persisted, rarely heard in recent years, that the 41 Magnum wouldn't shoot heavy bullets well.

I wasn't on the internet back then and had to use resources like the "Handloader's Digest" to source bullets. I found eight different heavy bullets from 250 to 295 grains, some still available and some not. The whole purpose of my testing was to determine what bullet weight and design my guns would prefer so I could have a mold made for the desired bullet.

I tested all the bullets with H110, H4227 and 2400 in both guns. All rounds were fired from a Ransom Rest at a range of 25 yards. The results were nothing short of enlightening. I don't know where the idea a 41 would not handle heavy bullets but it is patently false. Both mine handled them all well and one of the most accurate was the 295 grain Penn.

I was fortunate both guns were dimensionally correct for shooting cast bullets. With the exception of a 260 grain SWC from a company by the name of BRP, whom I think is no longer in business, all the bullets tested shot exceedingly well. BRP's bullets were beautiful but while the rest of the test bullets were shooting 1.5" and less theirs were going 2.5-3". Not bad but not great.

I ended up getting an LBT mold for a WLNGC that drops a 280 grain wheel weight bullet and a little lighter with linotype. A linotype version took one cougar for me at about 30 yards before I moved to Alaska. The effect of that bullet through the cougar's chest was immediate and very final. I carried the Blackhawk for many years as my only handgun before I got caught up in my current Bisley obsession. I carried it all over Alaska with that bullet, cast of 50/50 WW/linotype and never had any doubt it would handle a bear as well as any 44 magnum. I never had to test that but still would go afield with it with no worries.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP's quest for a flattop 41 but my testing illustrated, at least to myself, the 41 mag is a great round. It really isn't deserving of the redheaded stepchild status it seems to have. It will run Sierra's 170 grain HP at a very good clip and handle heavy cast bullets with aplomb.

If your search doesn't turn up a flattop 41 there are several smiths who would be happy to create one for you.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's, that's some great info. I was seriously about to pull the trigger on that stainless Bisley, that gun was beautiful. I got distracted with work the last couple of days. Kinda strange thing happened yesterday. Stopped by my LGS during lunch, I've seen one .41 mag in all the twelve years of shopping there. Well, two as of yesterday. 1977 mfg. 4 5/8" bbl.Blackhawk. Someone had filled the lettering in with gold (?!!) something or other. Absolutely the best fitted grips I've ever seen on a Ruger. Gun is about 80%- honest wear $350 otd. I put it on lay-away. I think a good cleaning & some new grip medallions (same person blacked them out w/sharpie) and she'll be good to go. I'm actually excited about this caliber, gotta get dies & components -Dave

mart

Bearcat
That was a good find. If you want to try some heavy cast bullets, Beartooth has 265 and 280 grain WLN, 250 LFN and a 300 grain SSK flat point, Montana Bullet works has a 265 grain SWC and 240 WFN and LFN, Cast Performance Bullets has 250 WFN and 265 WLN, and Penn Bullets still offers their 295 grain SSK flat point (same bullet as the Beartooth 300). I'm sure there are others but that would give you some good ones to start with. You're going to really enjoy the 41. It's tough to beat the old 410459 220 grain Keith SWC for all around use. If you're a caster, NOE and Arsenal make a mold that throws an accurate copy of that bullet. My Lyman 410459 throws a good bullet and very accurate in my 41 but it has the rounded lube groove and is only a two cavity. I may switch it out for a 4-5 cavity for faster production.

Good luck with the new 41.

G2

Hunter
Here's an old PC of my Acusport.
rug41ssb1.jpg

mart

Bearcat
That's a fine lookin shooter. I much prefer the 5.5 inch to any other length and will eventually have my blued Bisleys shortened to that length.

smith1961

Blackhawk
azleite said:
Stopped by my LGS during lunch, I've seen one .41 mag in all the twelve years of shopping there. Well, two as of yesterday. 1977 mfg. 4 5/8" bbl.Blackhawk. Someone had filled the lettering in with gold (?!!) something or other. Absolutely the best fitted grips I've ever seen on a Ruger. Gun is about 80%- honest wear $350 otd. I put it on lay-away.

Welcome to the club! I have the "Williams" .41 Flattop in 4&5/8ths, and a 1987 .41 Fluted Bisley (1987) 7.5"
:D

Tip

Single-Sixer
azleite said:
...Kinda strange thing happened yesterday. Stopped by my LGS during lunch, I've seen one .41 mag in all the twelve years of shopping there. Well, two as of yesterday. 1977 mfg. 4 5/8" bbl.Blackhawk. Someone had filled the lettering in with gold (?!!) something or other. Absolutely the best fitted grips I've ever seen on a Ruger. Gun is about 80%- honest wear $350 otd. I put it on lay-away... -Dave

Dave, congratulations on your find!
I love my one-and-only (for now) .41 Rem mag. Blackhawk. Mine is a 1970-vintage, 3 screw. Super smooth action and solid as they come.

Be sure to post pics when you bring yours home!

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thak's Tip, I got the gun out of lay-away a couple weeks ago-cleaned up pretty good. I also bought 100 Starline .41 special cases & loaded them w/215 grn Lasercast swc's over some power pistol. Got 50 factory cowboy .41 mag loads (mainly for the brass) & 20 Federal JHP's. Finally made it to the range Saturday, first time I've ever shot a .41 anything. Yeah, I get it now. I'm hooked. The old gun shot right to point of aim with everything. All wasn't prefect though, the darn basepin kept backing out and tieing up the gun.I would just push it back in and it would shoot. I took it back to the gun store where I bought it and their sending it back to Ruger for me on their dime. Hopefully I'll get it back soon-Dave

rangerbob

Buckeye
azleite, you may have to get a locking base pin to cure the problem. I've been shooting 41's since 1968, mostly S&W's and a few Rugers. I believe the 41 Special cartridge and Starline's brass is the best thing that ever happened to this caliber. One can load from mild to medium with the Special brass and save the magnum brass for sure enough magnum loads and of course they are easy to tell apart. Now, if we could just get Ruger and S&W to make some medium frame revolvers in 41 special our dream would come true. I have one of the Williams Flat top 41 magnums with a 6.5" barrel as well a 7.5" Bisley and 4".6", and 8 3/8" S&W's in blue, nickel, and SS. The 41's are my favorite caliber if you don't count 44's, 45's and 357's. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Shaggy357

Bearcat
Welcome to the club. I am a newbie myself. Only been a member for about 10 years and just on my 3rd 41, but I am sure there are more to come. First one I got was my Ruger Blackhawk. Search for, and found, an Ideal mold for it. Shot several thousand rounds and was happy as a clam. Purchased an FA in 41 mag for silhouette. Tried that Ideal bullet...hmmppfffttt.. Couldn't get better than 4-5" groups at 100. 6-8" groups at 200 on a good day. Ordered one of Veral Smiths 240gr WFNGC mold. Oops 1" at 100. 2.5-3.0" at 200. This is scoped of course, but that heavier bullet was/is the cats meow for the FA 41. Have since found a Contender barrel that needed some lovin'. Scoped, off the bench, it will make ragged holes at 50 with my "mistakes". (Right after they discontinued H4227, I ran out and bought what I could and loaded up 500 41s so I would have some ready. Found out later that my 16.5gr load should have been 18.5gr. That is what hurrying, old eyes, and not reading the recipe properly can do. Cannot pull an LBT bullet out of a Starline case that has been crimped with a Redding profile crimp die. Does not happen.) I have about 350 of these "mistakes" left and they should be just fine on deer to at least 100.

LBT WFNGC bullets, IMR4227, AA#9, and large pistol magnum primers are your friends.

Enjoy the rush....make it last.....mine has.....

Steve :)

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's Bob & Shaggy, great info there. I'm sure this won't be my only .41. I'm still dreaming about those stainless Bisley's but I plan to keep this old Blackhawk. Just something about it.....Bob, if it comes back and has continuing issues with the base pin then I will be looking into aftermarket-Dave

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Not trying to help you spend your money or anything.......

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/670171461

This is one of the 1st run of 41 Flattops with the 87- prefix. Not many of these out there. Just sayin'......

Latest posts