SP101 in 22lr, price check / best deal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Hi Guys,
Iowa changed the law so now kids can be trained proper hand gun safety earlier than before. I am thinking a SP in 22 would be perfect. Easy to load, unload, clean, etc. Not too heavy and cheap fun shooting.

What is the best price / deal around? I don't care if it is used really so let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
P.S. after a little feedback here I will most likely post in the wanted section.

~JM~

Single-Sixer
I don't know how hard they are to find, but... The older 6-shot 22LR SP101 revolvers are much nicer than the current offering.

roylt

Hunter
How so? What do you think is nicer about the older units compared to the newer?

~JM~

Single-Sixer
The action geometry provides for a better dual action feel.

I have an 8 round SP101 and love it, after a little work the trigger is a little heavy but very smooth with stock springs. The older 6 round models have slightly different springs and the trigger feels a little different but after several hundred rounds through my 8 shot version the trigger is outstanding and easy to cock the hammer. I've seen them used for just over $500, a quick check of my LGS comes in at $598 new. You may want to consider the LCRx in .22lr, I have an LCR in .22lr and the trigger on that is great and might be better out of the box for young fingers, my LGS has the LCRx listed at $445 new.

roylt

Hunter
Appreciate the info.

I showed the lcrx to the kids and they like the sp better. I'm on the hunt, wish me luck.

rallye_red

Bearcat
Grabagun has a one NEW, just one left for $525 + $7.99 shipping http://grabagun.com/ruger-sp101-22lr-4-2-ss-as-fib-opt.html

Or try Smokie Mountains guns and ammo, NEW $539 + free shipping, https://www.smga.com/p-75898.aspx?searchEngineName=ruger-5765-ksp2428-22-lr-42-8rd-rubber-wwood-insert-grip-satin-as-ss

And no tax if you live out of state. Good luck!

COWTOWNER

Single-Sixer
Well, I've got both the 'old' model 6 shot, and the new 4.2 " model. I've got medium to small hands, and the old model just feels natural in my hand. I've had the old one since 1993, and have always considered it my favorite handling revolver.
It would be good to handle the old model, if possible, before making any decision.

Thanks

Mike

glenncal1

Bearcat
Roy- I also have a 8 shot sp101 I might be interested in selling especially since I just bought a 4" Gp100 .22. Let me know, Jim

Clovishound

Blackhawk
rallye_red said:
And no tax if you live out of state. Good luck!

Only if you live in a state with no sales tax.

They get you with Use Tax when you file your income taxes. That is unless, you choose to ignore reporting the taxes you owe.