Want Fatter Grips on Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I am looking to get the 357 Blackhawk convertible and am wondering anyone can recommend a source for "fatter" grips. I have medium sized hands but long fingers so the factory grips are a bit on the narrow side for me.

Thank you.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Hogue: https://www.hogueinc.com/grips

You'll need to dig around thru the links at the above, but you can get some nice wood that is fatter. I've had a set on my NMBH for about 18 years.

Reaper9

Bearcat
A few years ago I bought a set of black polymer stag grips from NC Ordnance for a Blackhawk and they feel a lot fatter to me than factory grips.

Also, Jay Scott grips have the wood laminate on the inside of the grips that make some of their grips substantially fatter. These surface often, and you might see them in faux pearl, faux ivory, or faux stag.

Interesting...I just dug out a set for measurement. The Jay Scott grips are thicker than any of my faux ivory and Ruger rosewood grips, but when I compared them to a set of older genuine Ruger walnut grips, they were the same. So...Ya might look for a set of walnut grips as another option to give a try.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Thank you all for your replies. I believe before I make any modifications I will first shoot the gun for a while, but I don't have the gun yet so this is all mostly academic at this point.

My thought for the day: You can't make everyone happy, you're not pizza.

this is one of the reasons why when you look at some old ,say like 'stag' grips, you will often "see" ( as well as feel) one grip panel is fatter, thicker, than the other ...this is called a "palm swell" and the old grip makers would ask if you were right or left handed and that panel was made thicker, filling the palm and thus the fingers would be set back ,,which really didn't matter as a single action firearm, the trigger sets way to rear for single action firing.............lots of thought went into the design when you think about what your trigger finger is actually doing when firing a gun, in the different modes, single or double action, as well a when target shooting and you use ONLY the "tip" ( pad) of your trigger finger........... 8)
( let alone where you actually place the firearm in your grip......) :roll:

or the thickness, and width of the gun in questions' , trigger......... :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Hogue grips are thick and nicely rounded. If nothing else, they're an economical way of finding out if thicker grips are going to work for you. They work for me!

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Again, thank you all for your great advice and encouragement. It is good to know there are alternatives out there.

I recently got into reloading so now I can shoot a lot more 357 mag so, naturally, my desire for more guns has expanded.