Super Blackhawk with 13.5" barrel??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smokey99

Bearcat
I inherited the Ruger from my brother. The 13.5" barrel has no markings. The front sight is ramped front sight with a white dot blade dovetailed in. Rear sight is an adjustable peep sight. I also have a 7.5" Ruger marked barrel that is in a plastic tube for the 7.5" length. Frame S/N is 70xx (1962?), 3 screw, non fluted cylinder. Can someone identify barrel origin for me? Ruger special order?? Thanks!!

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Sounds like your brother bought a 7.5" SB and had the original barrel replaced with a custom 13.5" barrel, and added the rear sight as well. There are similar sights available now; the old sight blade is simply removed and replaced with the peep-type sight. I bought some for $10 each; one is on my Redhawk, the others haven't yet been installed.

The 7.5" barrel you've got in a plastic tube would be the original, if my supposition is correct.

With no markings, it's pretty much impossible to figure out where the barrel is from; is there a receipt for work done, shipping boxes, or anything that could suggest who did the work?

Smokey99

Bearcat
Thanks Bearcat - it is as I imagined. The guy who loaded the ammo is deceased and he and my brother lived 6 states away. I have a guy who wishes to buy it but he wanted to know if the 13.5 was made by Ruger. Workmanship and fit is excellent. A barrel maker without his marking seems strange. Barrel is straight without taper - could it have been made from a rifle barrel??? Crown is a simple bevel.

trapperon

Blackhawk
It is not uncommon for a barrel without the manufacturers logo/mark. I had a super blackhawk rebarreled to 14 inches, and the gunsmith ordered a 44 blank from shilen barrel co then threaded cut and crowned it for my gun. It didnt say shilen anywhere on it.

For sure not factory, just sounds like a good professional re barrel job.

Ron

Maverick

Bearcat
I like longer versions also...this one started out as a SBH Bisley. It is now my SBH Sweet Sixteen Dragoon. I also have no idea where the barrel originated from.

Latest posts