SP101 Trigger Catching

Help Support Ruger Forum:

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. Do you know if the trigger spring is the original one or has it been replaced with a lighter one? It could be the spring is too light. If you know how to take your SP101 apart, you can smoothe out the action of the trigger and the tunnel where the trigger spring is located. There are videos on YouTube and articles on doing this.

Yup, if it's a used gun and a lighter trigger return spring has been installed some smoothing of the trigger return spring bore is necessary, also the trigger plunger and cylinder latch will need to be smoothed over for a consistent return. If the gun is new then you need to do a thorough cleaning and a light lube in addition to cleaning out the trigger return spring bore. Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
"What would cause the trigger on my SP101 to hang up on the return." Dirt and crud maybe. Clean and oil and replace the trigger return spring with a stock one.

Welcome to the forum.

Look at Ruger Tech Tips. http://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271069&cat=3769277

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
It is new and unfired. I put in a reduced hammer spring and hammer and trigger shims, but it did it before I installed everything.

Longcarbine said:
It is new and unfired. I put in a reduced hammer spring and hammer and trigger shims, but it did it before I installed everything.

Clean it good and lube it a little, does it hang up all the time or just on a slow release? If you're gonna run light springs you should give the gun a good once over...

http://www.sp101trigger.com/

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
Most times it will return to battery with just a small hitch but occasionally it will hang up completely but not were you cant easily return it, just enough to be annoying. If it was any cleaner it would be steril.

In the trigger group there's a small spring that pushes on the pawl and the trigger plunger, if that's hung up or damaged it would cause the issue you're having...it's number 3 in this diagram, also make sure number 46 slides smoothly.

sp101_schematic4.jpg