Thoughts on Gp100 in 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakotacaller

Bearcat
I am curious if anyone has some personal experience with a GP100 in 22lr. I don't have a 22 pistol yet and was really liking the look of the gp100 and liked that it held 10. With 10 rounds, it could easily be a trap checking gun with no concern of running out of ammo. The gun seems a bit overbuilt for 22 but I don't actually have any physical experience with one yet.

The other thought I had is maybe an LCRx in 22. I realize it is a much different beast but it's about $200 cheaper.

I looked at the GP100 in 22 and probably would have bought one, but when Ruger brought out the LCRx in 22 I bought that instead. I wanted a 22 for packing on the trail. I will eventually grab a GP as well.

Depends on your budget and needs. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't have one but considering the size and weight I think a better package would be an 8-shot SP-101 with a 4" barrel and a fiber optic front sight.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=5765

contender

Ruger Guru
The GP-100 is an excellent frame for a high capacity 22 LR. It's action & robust design make for a good trap line gun. If my choices were between it & the LCR,,, I'd snag the GP-100 a LOT quicker.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Another choice might be a Single 10, same 10 rounds of ammo, and less expensive than the GP-100. At least with Ruger, there are choices. Due to my LE double action revolver training, I'd go with the 4.2" GP-100 10 shot. Bob!! :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
The GP is no more overbuilt than the ubiquitous K-22. I've looked at them though and was not overly enthusiastic about some of the design features. I think the top strap and barrel look funky.

dingode

Single-Sixer
I have the 4" and so far I really like it. The first one I had got sent back to Ruger and was deemed unrepairable. I have a couple hundred rounds through it so far and with Golden bullets and Automatch it's very accurate.

The finish is fine, and the trigger is good enough for now too. I'll put a lot more rounds through it before I decide to play with springs and such.

The only thing I'd like better is a little tighter BC gap, but I can't complain about the accuracy with the two ammo's listed above. Truthfully it may well be more accurate with other ammo types, but I was chatting and listening to others chat while at the range that day, so I never got in a groove.

Here is a link to some pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/usZYabUMoou5eW6f8

Shooting was at 25yds using 6moa Vortex Vernom, The mount is available on the classified on this forum. I rested the gun on one of my range bags.

Things to look for.
1. little curly burrs on the tips of the extractor star points
2. sharp edges on the rh side of the trigger guard
3. after a few hundred rounds look for firing pin indents on the cylinder. My first one went back to Ruger for this and they replaced the whole gun.
4. My new one came coated in some of the grittiest oil I've ever seen. So be sure to remove the trigger assembly and clean everything out with a good gun solvent to wash out the grit and give the whole gun a good cleaning before heading to the range.

Numerous speedloader options are available. I have the Ansac, and plan on ordering the DS-10 here soon to try out. Speedbeeeze also makes one. Loading blocks are also available from numerous sources.

All that being said, it's heavy and for trap line use an LCR may be more comfortable to carry. Umberti also makes a 12rd SA .22 revolver that you can check out.

Fanner50

Bearcat
I actually bought one about a year ago and it was a piece of junk. I sold it a soon as I could. It became Very hard to cock back the hammer when shooting single action. The gun would almost lock up. It took a lot of effort just to cock the hammer back to fire the gun. I really wish I had bought the S&W sitting beside it instead. I am a Ruger fan all the way, but Ruger's quality control is not what it used to be. I would look at a Single Six or the new Bearcat with real sights on it instead of the GP-100. The GP100 was tight and hard to cock in the store, but I thought it would get better. It got worse instead. Whatever you decide to buy, really check it out in the store and if there is any resistance at all in cocking back the hammer, reject the gun. I wish I had. I lost a lot of money on that piece of crap. Again, I love Rugers' and am a Ruger fan, but they are not the quality gun that they used to be.

Fanner50 said:
I actually bought one about a year ago and it was a piece of junk. I sold it a soon as I could. It became Very hard to cock back the hammer when shooting single action. The gun would almost lock up. It took a lot of effort just to cock the hammer back to fire the gun. I really wish I had bought the S&W sitting beside it instead. I am a Ruger fan all the way, but Ruger's quality control is not what it used to be. I would look at a Single Six or the new Bearcat with real sights on it instead of the GP-100. The GP100 was tight and hard to cock in the store, but I thought it would get better. It got worse instead. Whatever you decide to buy, really check it out in the store and if there is any resistance at all in cocking back the hammer, reject the gun. I wish I had. I lost a lot of money on that piece of crap. Again, I love Rugers' and am a Ruger fan, but they are not the quality gun that they used to be.

I wish I would have known you were selling one cheap, a phone call to Ruger and they would have fixed the gun for free if it had any issues. My .22lr SP101 was almost impossible to cock out of the box, disassemble, clean the spooge and lube and it cocked nicely. After putting a couple of rounds through it I went through the trigger group and added hammer shims and that gun is smooth as silk.

dingode

Single-Sixer
I agree with the Captain, a call to Ruger would have fixed the issue for free. The problem may have been fixed by a good cleaning. As mentioned in my post above, my gun came coated in grinding dust contaminated oil.

Of course, Fanner is also right that Ruger's quality control has gone to heck in the last 5-6 years too. But as long as they repair them for free I guess they'll keep on selling them.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Overbuilt can be a good thing in my opinion. Now, I don't carry along a trapline or anything like that so weight is not an issue for me. I do like having a revolver that has earned respect for reliability and durability.

Jim

I bought one of the first ones avail. in my area.
It had some misfire issues....maybe 10% failed to fire.
I pulled the firing pin and reshaped the end. It had
LOTS of sharp edges and was pretty rough in general.
Some hours of cleanup, debur and polishing the various
parts made it decent. Changed the front sight to something
my eyes liked, hammer shims, lighter trigger return spring.....shoots ok now.
There have been several threads on this forum with similar
things.
Ruger did about 90% of the work to build a finished gun, maybe
they should just sell it as a "kit".
Dave

dakotacaller

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies. I shouldn't have said "overbuilt" since I agree, a solid built gun is always welcomed. I think I am leaning more towards the LCRx for the weight. I have a security six in 357 so the LCRx would vary the lineup a bit more.

I have my eye on too many guns and most are revolvers... what they say is true.

afreemann

Bearcat
Just picked up a .22 and 6" .357. Shot the heck out of both. No issues and love them both. More accurate than I am, solid in the hand, decent trigger in both single and double action. That goes for both guns. Glad I bought them and no remorse. I would recommend them to anyone.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I've got a 5.5" GP100 in .22lr and a pair of S&W 617's, a 6" six shot and a 4" 10 shot.
If the weather is crappy, I carry the GP100. Any other time, I carry a 617.
The Rugers are nice, the Smith's are nicer.
I also have a 4.2" SP101 in .22lr. It's my least favorite of the bunch.

coldmaker0

Bearcat
i have owned the gp100 for over a year. no problems at all and it has become my favorite carry gun for working around the farm. The hiviz front sight is easy to see.

My thoughts...

I have the 5-1/2" model. It's been to the range only a few times, but for me, it's not yet a natural shooter. I am struggling at relatively short handgun distances.

For giggles, we shot it at 50 yards yesterday, semi supported off a bench. It shot a whole lot closer than I was giving it credit for. Returned to the 12 yard line, really concentrated, and all of a sudden I was shooting it okay. Then one last cylinder full at 15 yards, and I was again out of control. There's just something about this gun that I have yet to overcome. I'd like to lose the hi-vis front sight sight. The soft green light tube does not provide a distinct contrast for me and just kind've disappears inside the rear sight. Others absolutely love this sight.

Another issue that I expect will work itself out after enough scrubbing of the chambers...Ejection. 10 empty cases is tough to extract without some external persuasion. After multiple scrubbings, it's getting better.

So...Some guns are natural shooters for some folks, and some guns aren't. No fault necessarily of the gun. It would be easy for me to trade this gun off.

WAYNO.

Wayno, I'd sure consider sending it back to Ruger and let them do some touching up. Even just sights and cylinder maybe an action job and see what happens. It's worth the chance. You may get a gun that really works for you.