Where Ruger Really Shines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Over the past year or so my revolver tally has been growing. Some are Smiths, one is a Colt, but about half are Rugers- both single action and double action.

After shooting a lot of revolvers, not only mine, but also guns others bring to the range, I've begun to conclude that revolvers are the place where Ruger truly shines. Ruger makes a lot of really good guns. Sells a boat load of guns each year, too. So it's saying a lot to claim that revolvers are where they are best. But I think it's true.

Now, before anyone gets their knickers all in a bundle, I'm not even saying Ruger revolvers are the BEST revolvers. There are a whole lotta Smith fans out there. Colt, too. And if you say Smith & Wessons or Colts are better, you may very well be right.

But that doesn't mean Ruger revolvers aren't really, really good. They ARE good.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well...since this is a Ruger forum, I don't think you'll get much argument that Ruger makes good revolvers. But perhaps you can tell us what particular aspects of Ruger makes you say this. Are you saying that they stand out more strongly than their semi-autos? Or are you saying they stand out compared to other revolver makers? In any event, I'd like to know the particulars as to what brings you to your conclusion. :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I'll sort of go along with the statement that Ruger revolvers are their outstanding product line. Historically, they revived and reestablished the single action revolver as a viable product and dominate single action sales. They are stronger, more durable and more versatile than any of their competitors.

Their double action revolvers are competitive but not the standard bearers except in strength and durability. Their actions aren't as refined as S&W's but they last nearly forever.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Revolvers are most certainly Ruger's niche. They have always been well made and widely respected. I'm very happy that Ruger hasn't cheapened them out like they have other parts of the product line, a Ruger revolver is still an heirloom piece.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
Revolvers are most certainly Ruger's niche. They have always been well made and widely respected. I'm very happy that Ruger hasn't cheapened them out like they have other parts of the product line, a Ruger revolver is still an heirloom piece.

At the risk of offending Smith & Wesson fans, what Bill Ruger and his engineers achieved back in the 70's with the Security-Six/Speed-Six has turned out to be pure genius. No, Ruger double action revolvers aren't the Swiss watches that Smiths and Colts of that era were, but they were and are rugged and dependable, AND they can be built using modern manufacturing technology. Thus, unlike Smith & Wesson, hasn't needed to spend the past 35 years trying to figure out how to cheapen their revolvers.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
So there seems to be a consensus that the Ruger revolver line is their flagship product. The flip side of this would be that their semi-auto pistols are not. What gun-maker would the majority feel does the same for semi-autos pistols?

I think it a bit of an injustice to lump all of Rugers semi-auto pistols together. I'm not a big fan of most of them but I don't believe that anyone would dispute the quality and success of the Mark .22 pistol line. This was an innovative and rugged pistol which at almost 70 years old is still in its basic configuration. This is the firearm that launched Ruger's career and is still respected around the world.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
So we are concluding that all of the revolver line and the Mark series are outstanding. What gunmaker shines in semi-auto pistols across the board?

Prescut

Single-Sixer
steelblue,

tough question without some parameters. Revolvers from $500 to $1200 are comparable. Then you get FA, USFA, Korth, and other high end pieces that are difficult to compare.

Semi-autos don't seem quite the same. Steel or polymer? Ruger, Colt, S&W, Glock, Sig, SA, Beretta, CZ, Browning from $500 to $1200 are comparable. Then you get Kimber, Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson, Les Baur in the upper dollar range which I don't have.

I really like great triggers and I find the striker-fired mush horrible. My Browning Hi Power and Colt National Match Gold Cup are terrific autos.

Trying to get to your question about who has done for semi-autos what Ruger did for revolvers gets me to Colt. Colt made the market with the 1911. A 1911 cult developed just like the blackhawk. The cult is still strong at 106 years old.

Now a little different take could be what manufacturer has influenced the market more and I hate hate hate to say it's probably Glock. The transition to polymer, striker-fired was astounding. However I don't think it was done with a superior product, but with superior marketing. The stories of the Glock girls in Vegas are legendary. There's just something wrong with guns that float in the tub.

Prescut

Good points Prescut,

I would agree the Ruger revolver line is top quality overall. As far as the Mark series of rimfire pistols, they are right up there on the firing line of competitions almost everywhere, shooting side by side with vintage High Standards and Smith and Wesoon Model 41's.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Well I certainly am a Big fan of my GP-100 stainless and other Ruger revolvers. As far as where Ruger shines, we can't overlook the 1022!

Jim

ditto1958

Blackhawk
SteelBlue said:
So we are concluding that all of the revolver line and the Mark series are outstanding. What gunmaker shines in semi-auto pistols across the board?

Um... Glock?

Don Lovel

Hunter
The full sized Bisley is still one of the stoutest handguns you can own for big bore calibers.
The Ruger 10-22 is still one of the best bang for the buck .22 rifles out there.
Ruger #1 is the only quality fit and finish single shot rifle built in the USA

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Sorry ditto,

"What gunmaker shines in semi-auto pistols across the board? " Glock

I said influenced, and Glock has done that. Someone else may have said shines across the board, but I can not agree.

I think Glock is the single most overrated pistol ever produced. But sex sells and Glock made sure the industry folks got more than their fair share. Never heard of Sharon Dillon or the Gold Club?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Gotta agree with you Prescut on the Glock. I have been tempted to say Sig Sauer. They focus exclusively on semi-autos.

HadEmAll

Bearcat
For me, Ruger revolvers shine because they don't go out of time like S&Ws.

I've had S&W models 28, 25, 29, and 686, and they've all developed failure to carry up properly in slow cock. Usually on just one or two chambers admittedly, but that still bothers me. Also saw it on my brother's model 19. As well as on my 6" Colt Python.

A shame because they were beautiful revolvers in all other ways.

I have gotten rid of all my S&W (and Colt) revolvers, except a DAO model 940 (9mm) and now shoot only Rugers, a 4" GP100, 2" and 3" SP101s, and .38 and .357 LCRs.

Never the first hint of failure to carry up on any of them, even with quite a few full house mag loads in the .357 LCR. All chambers lock up well before the hammers are brought to full cock on all of them.

Even the Smith 940 barely locks the cylinder on each chamber before the internal hammer drops in slow cock, and can be coaxed into failure to lock on one or two sometimes if I cock slow enough.

Heck, I've even got a cheap (back then anyway) H&R 939 .22 revolver that carries up better than the Smiths. By that I mean the cylinder locks well before the hammer reaches full cock in SA mode.

Not that big a fan of Ruger semiautos, though I do have a LCP and SR1911 I am very fond of.