Reloading .327 Fed Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
Howdy all
Bought a .327 Fed mag yesterday and I'm looking to buy reloading components. Would like to know what lead bullet you folks have been using and where purchased. Any other suggestions with reloading for this revolver appreciated. MC

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I cast the Lyman 311008 and size to .314. They shoot great in my single sevens.
Red Dot and 2400 have given great results for accuracy. Small pistol magnum primers give the best accuracy and uniform SD's in my guns.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Have loaded a Hunter Supply 115 grn FN sized at .313 with good results and purchased 1000 of them from Midway. I later started casting and have used RCBS 32-98 SWC with good results, this is my favorite in a Blackhawk, a SP101, and a GP100. This bullet, however, is too long to crimp in the crimp groove for a Single Seven. You can crimp over the front driving band and make it work, but I'm not fond of that practice. I have purchased a RCBS 32-90 CM to try in the Single Sevens but have not cast any yet. I use Unique and a small pistol primer for plinking loads and AA9 and a small RIFLE primer for the heavies.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too cast my own. Much easier & cheaper too! I powder coat my own as well,,, so lubing isn't necessary. But I own 3 pistols in 327,,, so,,,,,! Sorry I'm not more help!

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Missouri bullet has a 120 grain LRNFP. If you go looking for it, it's in the "rifle bullet" section of their website. It's a great projectile for 32 h&r/327 mag. I like h110 under that bullet.

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
Thank You all for replying to my post. I like shooting lead bullets as well as jacketed bullets. Lead bullets are cheaper so I shoot more of them. I have Red dot, Bullseye , 2400 , WW231, HS6, Unique & Power Pistol powder. Haven't fired my revolver yet as I'm in the process of ordering dies, brass & bullets. Do any of you use .32 long Brass?

G2

Hunter
You got to try a box of American Eagle 100grJSP, @1500fps, This is some fast hard hitting stuff. :shock:

I totally stumbled on to it when I first aquired my S7, paid $25bx/50....
At the time Brass was somewhat hard to find.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,,, many of us also use 32 Long, & 32 H&R mag cases in our 327's. We usually just load them according to the caliber they are,,, making the 327 a very mild shooter. Kinda like the 38 spl in a 357.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I just got some badmanbullets polymer coated 100 gr sized at 313 and they work great in my s7.

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
I haven't been able to find any loaded .327 Federal mag ammunition and I figured that it would not be readily available when I bought this revolver so I'm getting dies and components so that I have a steady supply of ammo. I was looking at Penn and Rim Rock 95 and 100 Gr. lead Bullets for reloads.

Yesterday I picked up 200 Hornady 100 Gr. XTP bullets to work up a load with jacketed bullets. Haven't looked on line for loaded ammo. I would like to buy a box or two of .327 Federal mag loaded ammo to compare my reloads to.

I would like to compare velocity and accuracy of my reloads to the commercial ammo.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I use Rim Rock Bullets 115 gr RNFP GC and Cast Performance Bullets 113 gr FPGC both sized at .313 look like twins. For powder I use 6.0 Longshot or 11.6 H110 primers CCI-550 brass Starline.
From a 5.5 Single Seven.

Brian Pearce has an article in Handloader No. 294 with some good reloading info.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
FYI, most of my guns have never fired factory ammo. Start low work to max and you will be happy with money saved. My wife does not like noise or recoil so I load lite 32 h+r for her and max 327 for me.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Montana Cowboy said:
I haven't been able to find any loaded .327 Federal mag ammunition and I figured that it would not be readily available when I bought this revolver so I'm getting dies and components so that I have a steady supply of ammo. I was looking at Penn and Rim Rock 95 and 100 Gr. lead Bullets for reloads.

Yesterday I picked up 200 Hornady 100 Gr. XTP bullets to work up a load with jacketed bullets. Haven't looked on line for loaded ammo. I would like to buy a box or two of .327 Federal mag loaded ammo to compare my reloads to.

I would like to compare velocity and accuracy of my reloads to the commercial ammo.
I shoot the Great Lakes Remanufactured 327 Fed Mag 100gr RNFP and the American Eagle 100 and 85 grainers. They all shoot well. The 85's are noticeably more pleasant to shoot than the 100's. I also like the Great Lakes bullets because they are coated with some type of polymer. No lead or copper fouling. :) All can be had on Cheaper Than Dirt dot com.

I actually have a harder time finding .32 H&R ammo. Would like to shoot some just to try it out.

I really need to start reloading.

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
Ok, I ordered RCBS carbide dies , shell holder and 2 bags OF .327 Starline brass.
Sent an email to Rim Rock Bullets with a few questions on their product and will wait to hear back from them before I place an order. The Penn bullet looked good but their web site is not as user friendly as Rim Rock. Rim Rock I was able to set up an account easily and ordering from them is straight forward. I did not see a phone number for Penn bullets as I would call them if they listed one.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Instead of keeping up with different brass (32 SW, 32HR) I just load everything in 327 brass to the desired load levels. I load the Hunters Supply 115 bullets from about 850 fps to 1200 fps. I have pushed the home cast 98 gr bullets to 1500 fps. It's a caliber you can load from mild to wild on the cheap.

The AE 100 in 327 FM are the stoutest loads out there. I shot a 10 round string that averaged 1702 fps with the high at 1752 fps. Don't get alarmed if you have the occasional split brass with the AE 100's, that's just the nature of that beast. They're brutal.

I believe Rim Rock or Penn will serve you well. Lots of folks are happy with either.

32magfan

Blackhawk
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading 32's!!! I load Longs, H&R's and 327's for all the revolvers I have. I have found a few good bullets. There are several molds for a 115gr. RNFP bullet used in the 32-20 and some of the bullet companies offer them also. These shoot well in the 327 with 3.7gr of Clays and a standard small pistol primer. In the H&R, I use Red Dot at 3.0gr.with this bullet.

If you push lead bullets very far over 1000fps, you may get leading if you don't use gas check bullets. These add to the cost but cleaning lead is pretty tough. :shock:

As far as brass, you can save factory stuff if you want to but use them for mild or medium loads. You made a good choice on Starline brass. They will work for any load from mild to wild. I have had zero issues with their brass- can't say that for the folks at Federal... :roll:

Good luck,

32Magfan

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
I was going to order some .32 H&R brass too but just figured I would keep it all .327 FM for now and then if I see some .32 long at the gun show I'll pick them up if the price is right.
My lead bullet loads usually run 800 to 1000 FPS and I have no problem getting lead out if the barrel gets lead in it. Probably need to get some small pistol primers too as I only have mag primers at the moment.

wdr2

Bearcat
In my Single Seven, I use 105gr. plain base lead bullets from an Accurate Mold and a 115gr. HP GC lead bullet from an MP mold. Both shoot very well. I use WST for loads around 850fps, Longshot for 1100-1250 fps, and 296 for 1400+ fps. All in Starline 327 brass. Excellent cartridge!

sp327

Single-Sixer
Try the heavier bullets in the 327. The 115 and 120 grain bullet moving around1100 to 1200 is really a nice load. The SP101 seems to like them. The 327 is a fun caliber to reload for. Don't forget to try some mouse fart 32 loads also. I pretty much don't bother with 22 lr anymore.

Montana Cowboy

Bearcat
It does appear that from what I've been reading that the 115 gr. bullet does well in the .327 FM. I was going to order 95 / 100 gr. bullet but after reading that folks like the 115 gr. bullet I'm going to order those. I'm more into accuracy than velocity.