Security Six vs. GP100 ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have the Security Six in Stainless that I used as my duty weapon as a part time LEO. It served me well and has never suffered any failure after thousands of rounds. I also owned a 4" GP100 that I sold, it wasn't balanced well for me and was too heavy for carry. Then I bought a Match Champion and found the gun I take to the range almost every time. It shots great, handles well and recovers for second shots better than my S-S. I also have two other Sixes, one Speed Six blued with the 3' barrel that carries very well and even works for a coat pocket, and the original "humpback" 4" blued Security Six that resides mostly in the box, but does shoot well with an excellent original factory trigger. If I could have only one- it would have to be the Match Champion but the old reliable stainless 1980 model that I carried for years would be a close second.

sp327

Single-Sixer
Security six any day. The security six would not wear out, the GP is just clumsy and over kill

I own a GP-100 and an early 1980's era stainless 4 inch Security Six. The old Security Six is lighter,packs easier and to my eyes looks nicer than the GP100. The fit and finish is much nicer than any GP100 I have handled. I like 'em both both if I had to choose, I would keep the Security Six.
413355488.jpg

Pistolero said:
I own a GP-100 and an early 1980's era stainless 4 inch Security Six. The old Security Six is lighter,packs easier and to my eyes looks nicer than the GP100. The fit and finish is much nicer than any GP100 I have handled. I like 'em both both if I had to choose, I would keep the Security Six.
413355488.jpg

I completely agree.

WAYNO.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
413355488.jpg

Nice Security Six, and those are some great grips-what/whose are they?

Best, Jon

P94/GP100 said:
Pistolero said:
413355488.jpg

Nice Security Six, and those are some great grips-what/whose are they?

Best, Jon
Jon,
I took some glossy, checkered, older Herrett stocks and rasped off the checkering, cut about 1/2 inch off the bottoms and shaped them to fit my hand. I sanded them until smooth and finished them with several coats of TruOil. They fit my hand better than any grips I ever used before.

jimbo1096 said:
I have the Security Six in Stainless...It served me well and has never suffered any failure after thousands of rounds. I also owned a 4" GP100 that I sold, it wasn't balanced well for me and was too heavy for carry. Then I bought a Match Champion and found the gun I take to the range almost every time. It shots great, handles well and recovers for second shots better than my S-S...

I feel the exact same way, I had three different Security Six's, loved them all. I have a buddy who wanted my stainless 6" SS for years but I couldn't let it go unless I found the right replacement, I never thought the full lug GP's felt great to me, but then I fondled a Match Champion, bought one, love it, and made my buddy happy because he now owns the Security Six he longed for.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have a blued 4 inch Security-Six, which I really like a lot, and a 6 inch model is on the way here. I have fired some GP100's at the range, and they're excellent, too. I imagine I will have to get one soon.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have several of each in stainless and blued. My Six's are the ones I've bonded with because of the style, weight, balance, and trigger. The GP100's have been heavily tuned and still are not equal to the Six's.
Many of the new GP100's looks like they missed QC.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have two 6" SS one in stainless and one in blued steel. I like them both and I did not like the heavy trigger so I got a spring kit, still did not like the trigger so I did some experimenting. The SS factory hammer spring is 16#'s The GP 100 is 14#'s. I put a factory GP 100 hammer spring in my SS and got a nice light trigger pull that still pops magnum primers reliably. Just a thought if you want to try it. The change worked for me. Your mileage may vary. :mrgreen:
I also have a 4" and a 6" GP100 which I like but my walking around guns are the 6" security stainless gun.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
I know this is an old thread, but I was clearing out some old boxes the other day and found my receipt from about 15 years ago when I very briefly owned a 6" half lug GP100. I know that the weight is supposed to make the GP100 a softer shooting gun, but for me in my hand the tiny bit higher bore on both the GP and L frames create just enough extra torque to make them unpleasant to shoot. I love shooting full house 357 rounds through the 6" Six I just piked up, but disliked even 38 spl +p out of the GP.

But that is in my hands, and without a doubt someone else will have exactly the opposite experience.

Life would be boring if we all liked exactly the same thing all the time! :mrgreen:

JStacy

Blackhawk
I also have one of the light contour GP100 and it is a nice looking gun but as you said it seems to torque more that my security sixes , even though it is heavier. Single sixes and GP100's a re built army tank tough and will last several lifetimes with proper maintained and normal amount of shooting. I shoot mostly cast bullets and magnum velocities and all of the guns are still as tight as when I bought them.

Had a couple of both and can say that I "thought" the trigger and even the hammer felt smoother on the oldies versus the GPs. Mind trick? Maybe, but my older Rugers felt better than my newer ones did. Sure, they can both be worked, but the proportions on the SS models just seemed more balanced overall.

I have had a few in each model, barrel lengths and grip styles. Both are excellent guns, and both will take the hottest factory loads available for a lifetime. To me the GP-100 is an overbuilt 357 magnum, meaning all it does better than the standard Security sixes I have owned is soak up a little more recoil, at the expense of being bulkier and heavier. I have not been able to find more accurate reloads in one than I can in the other,, hot or mild, up to 180 grains anyways, or as light as 125 grains, which are all I have ever used in either.

One thing I have never found, even with the early GP-100's is a revolver fit and finish as good as I have had the security six, Blued or Stainless. Don't let anyone fool you, I shot as good and better groups with a security six, as any Colt Python back in the day, which was the 357 every other 357 was judged by back then, but the Security six never went out of time from over use!

Lastly, the trigger's, for me I have been able to tune both in double and single action as well as the other, they can both equal the finest triggers one would want. The GP-100 for me has a better grip frame, much easier to obtain great fit and more variety from more makers and more factory options. In my opinion both are, or can be a better a choice than the other depending on what use it will be intended for,, I would much rather hunt with the GP-100, but I would prefer the Security six for carry.