Gary Reeder revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxP

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Can't assume the same for some of the works of gunsmith art from some of the "big name" guys.

JMHO

:)

That is not an assumption I would make. Take the revolver pictured below for example. It's a best grade .500 Maximum that has been dragged from here to hell and back, abused properly, and has accounted for a number of big game animals to include black bear, wild hog, and water buffalo. Expensive price doesn't preclude use and abuse. :mrgreen:

6b6b24e5-4313-4301-adf7-1d0587043a90.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
I opine Bowen may produce more expensive work, but I'd trust Reeder's work (and do) on long guns and single shots and most revolver work over your examples. Based on my own experiences, not what someone else tells me.
Bowen's work costs more because it's better. Reeder has lots of satisfied customers, no doubt about it but you can't have quantity and quality.

Ale-8(1) said:
I'd bet most of Reeder's guns get shot, and quite a lot at that.

Can't assume the same for some of the works of gunsmith art from some of the "big name" guys.

JMHO

It's not really relevant but I would not make that assumption at all. I would actually assume quite the opposite. Most these guns are built to use, all of mine were.

MaxP said:
Ale-8(1) said:

JMHO

That is not an assumption I would make. Take the revolver pictured below for example. It's a best grade .500 Maximum that has been dragged from here to hell and back, abused properly, and has accounted for a number of big game animals to include black bear, wild hog, and water buffalo. Expensive price doesn't preclude use and abuse. :mrgreen:

6b6b24e5-4313-4301-adf7-1d0587043a90.jpg

Well, I'd know better than to apply that sentiment to you, Max. I bought your book and have followed you elsewhere and know that you buy "special" guns with the intent to use them. I only see that from a couple of other guys here, whereas I see a LOT of guys on Reeder's site who are buying hunting guns. He puts together many hunts every year domestically, and is presently getting ready to do another of his African hunts with a bunch of his customers/enthusiasts . . . almost all handgun hunters.

I certainly mean no disrespect to anyone who buys top-of-the-line guns, but I'll stick with my general feeling that a majority are treasured in a warm, dry place rather than dragged from here to hell and back and abused properly. Short of a serious research poll from the entire using/owning population, I know of no way to prove it one way or another.

Besides, it's all JMHO and nothing more. :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I reckon more shooters have visited www.reedercustomguns.com for the first time and perused the guns and services there because of this thread. That's a good thing.

We need more, not fewer, successful good gunsmiths in this country.

CraigC

Hawkeye
If gun forum banter (the truth, as I see it) was going to have a negative effect on Reeder's business, it would've happened a long time ago. Personally, I don't see any issue whatsoever with having an objective discussion about the work and disposition of any working gunsmith. Without emotion or machismo. I think people should know what they're getting for their money, as well as what they're not getting. The problems arise when anyone suggests that Reeder's work is not "just as good", then people get start getting defensive.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Even in the age of "instant-gratification" internet ordering;
Whatever happened to the intelligence of (a customer) taking bids from potential contractors/gunsmiths for a specific menu of desired work? Winner gets the contract!

'course, as my bride said on our honeymoon: "Maybe you expect too much..." ;)

CraigC

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Even in the age of "instant-gratification" internet ordering;
Whatever happened to the intelligence of (a customer) taking bids from potential contractors/gunsmiths for a specific menu of desired work? Winner gets the contract!

'course, as my bride said on our honeymoon: "Maybe you expect too much..." ;)
IMHO, obtaining this information is all part of due diligence. The fact that some folks honestly think that they're getting the same level of craftsmanship from Reeder that one might get from one of the other aforementioned gunsmiths is compelling evidence that this stuff doesn't get discussed often enough. Is Bowen going to tell you his work is superior to Reeder's? Probably not. Is Reeder going to tell you his work is superior to that of others'? He might. He is a lot of things but modest isn't one of them. He tells folks that lineboring is a waste of money. Which is the truth? Do you buy a new car ONLY by the information presented in commercials? From the salesman? Of course not. If we can't have an open and honest discussion about these things here, then where? Where can this information be obtained? Do Gary Reeder fans just want everyone to be kept in the dark about what they are and are not getting for their money? Or do they even know? Who's feelings are you protecting?

Trent1001

Bearcat
CraigC said:
In a nutshell, they're good guns and a fair value but Gary Reeder's work fits the price point. What that means is that his conversions cost less and for a very good reason. You are simply not getting the fit, finish or bells & whistles present on most other gunsmiths' guns. His goal is quantity, not quality and there is as little hand work as possible. There is no finishing that cannot be accomplished with a heavy hand at the buffing wheel. On his conversions, you're not getting a linebored cylinder. No opening of the frame window for the largest cylinder possible. No blocking of the action. Same for the "engraving", which is actually EDM etching. You're not getting the work of a proper engraver but you're not paying for it either. There is little regard for layout with elements that seem to end before they should, others that are misaligned and some that run off the canvas. More of a "let's see where this stencil fits" sort of arrangement. Which is fine, if it appeals to you. Some folks like nekkid wimmen more than English rose & scroll but let's be honest, it's worlds away from real hand cut engraving. Overall the work is better than factory but still less than you should expect from Bowen, Harton, Horvath, Linebaugh, Huntington, Clements, Stroh, Forkin, etc..

I visited Gary's shop back in the summer of 2012. I took with me my pre-conceived notions but also an open mind. I found my pre-conceived notions to be accurate. I also found an old Colt Officer's Model Match that exhibited a poor attempt to buff out some deep barrel pitting and then a liberal application of "engraving". Looked great across the room but in hand it was an abomination. All that said, I don't rule out ever owning a Reeder gun but it will have to be the right one at the right price.

Not to even get into the personal issues I've observed over the last 15 years. Like losing his composure because a customer wants his old parts back.

Now folks can get all bent outta shape about these observations but it's the truth as I know it.

Reeder%2001.jpg

100 percent agree. I owned a Reeder mastodon 500 Linebaugh based on a regular Ruger Redhawk platform. The fit and finish my sub par and the Siberian stag handle smelled awful. The ejector Rod did not fit into the cylinder properly. This guy does not know what he is doing. The firearm was so cheaply made I was afraid the fire it. I ended up selling it actually got a profit to some eager buyer. I told him that just because it came from a custom shop this was really re-hashed and re-worked into a piece of junk. It was probably better off as a 44 magnum to begin with before Garry touched it.

Trent1001

Bearcat
BearBio said:
Name is immaterial................ A rose by any other name........

"What is relevant is that the statement was made that his work is "'just as good" (recurring theme here) as that of other gunsmiths and that is simply not the case,"

Where did I say that? Did anyone make that statement? I have accused (and proven) in the past that you put words in people's mouth---either through misstatements or by implication...letting readers infer incorrectly. That was a favorite technique of Goebbels, BTW.

Don't worry my friend we know your good intentions. There are so many people on this forum that state that you wrote something or said something and you never actually did it. Then when you prove them wrong they go screaming and crying and bitching to the moderators.

Trent1001

Bearcat
pisgah said:
This entire discussion is like the question "Which is the better motor vehicle -- a Ford F-150 or a Rolls Royce Corniche?" The F-150 might be the absolute perfect vehicle for me; some one else might see the F-150 as a shameful bucket of bolts in comparison to their finely-crafted Rolls. We're both justified in our opinions, and we'll both get from Point A to Point B just fine.

Your logic is flawed and your comparison is illogical. A proper comparison would be a used police car that is unclaimed versus a new Rolls-Royce.

Hey, Trent ol' buddy, I just received your really interesting PM in which you accuse me of everything just short of bestiality and loving up to Hillary Clinton. I dunno what your problem is other than a definite lack of reading comprehension, but I always find it fascinating when a single-digit poster with perhaps similar IQ comes onto the site and gets all sporty behind the scenes. Impressive.

And as far as "screaming to the moderators" about you, it's just not worth my time or their aggravation.

You have a real nice day now, y'hear.

:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
Please. let's all calm down and return to our usual type of conversation? After all, don't we all enjoy this sport? Opinions are like other parts of anatomy, we all have one.
Steve

~JM~

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
Hey, Trent ol' buddy, I just received your really interesting PM in which you accuse me of everything just short of bestiality and loving up to Hillary Clinton....

Hmmm... Taken in that context... Animal loving seems rather agreeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.