Best cleaning agents

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Like most folks, I have used Hoppe's No. 9 for years, and have had no complaints. But with all the hype about M-pro 7, I sprung for an expensive spray bottle. Purported advantages are that it cleans better, is less toxic, and smells nice. The first thing I did was spray it on my hand and smell it, thinking how can anything beat the smell of Hoppe's. Well, it has almost no odor except perhaps a faint smell reminiscent of Armor-all and also has a similar milky appearance. First thing I attempted to clean was the powder marks on the face of a stainless cylinder. I use it with a brass brush. I did absolutely nothing, but then neither did Hoppe's. I've decided to live with those discolorations rather than use any abrasive like a Scotch-Brite. In terms of bore cleaning, it seemed similar to Hoppe's. It does strip away any lubrication. One agent I really like is Outer's Tri-Lube: it cleans and lubricates, and smells just like Hoppe's No. 9. I'd be interested in hearing about others' experiences with M-Pro 7.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Those discolorations can be polished out with Simichrome. I use eagle one wadding polish. Flitz is another. Ballistol with scotch brite.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have various grades of Scotch Brite, green, maroon, and gray. They all remove metal, so I don't use them except for removing scratches in brushed stainless.

pruger45

Blackhawk
The new Hoppe's #9 should not be confused with the "old" Hoppe's #9. The older formula was much better than the newer formula.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner. http://www.hoppes.com/bore-cleaners/elite-gun-cleaner

I get the 32 oz bottle and use it to dip my bore patches and brushes in as well as a general carbon cleaner. It is a water based solvent that has no odor and is non-toxic. It works well and the more you use it the better it works.

...for difficult carbon stains on a stainless gun only, use a small patch of KleenBore Lead Away cloth.

https://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gun-Care-Lead-Cloth/dp/B002IEIDG4

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
M-Pro 7 is the best cleaner I've used. If you aren't getting some residue off just let it sit for an hour and rub it off after that. I've been using it since it first came out. The salesman was doing a demonstration on guns that had already been cleaned with Hoppe's and any other cleaner. After a brush and some patches more residue came out with the MPro 7.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
AzShooter1 said:
M-Pro 7 is the best cleaner I've used. If you aren't getting some residue off just let it sit for an hour and rub it off after that.

I am going to do this right now, and I would love to be proved wrong. But my guess is that it won't work. Even their website suggest that their product will not remove powder residue on stainless. I will supply before and after photos... they will be taken 1 hour apart.

Powder residue that has been scrubbed vigorously with Hoppe's No. 9 and M-pro 7:

burn.JPG

M-pro 7 spray on face:

burn2.JPG

Cylinder face turned upside down in bath of M-pro 7, this will sit for one hour:

burn3.JPG

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I bought a 2 oz. bottle of snake oil at the flea market a few weeks ago. On sale for 50% off. Think I'll try it on my guns next time I clean 'em.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Ha! I'm beginning to think Lemon Pledge would work as well as any of these cleaners.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
OK, here is about 1 hour later. I scrubbed the face vigorously with a brass brush for about 10 minutes, there is still residue, but improved. I do think if I scrubbed that long with Hoppe's I would have the same result. Bottom line is that no agent removes these powder stains by dissolving, it takes some sort of abrasion. I did follow up on this with a metal polish that removed all of it. I think from now on I'll just use the metal polish alone.

burn4.JPG

G2

Hunter
Just use lead away cloth,

Stainless it's works great,

Blue too,,, BUT IT WILL REMOVE BLUING!!! User beware :wink:

Me, I just CLP, and consider the accumulation "SEASONING", like a fine dutch oven.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well, if Amazon reviews are to be considered, Lead Away cloth is great for stainless cylinders. I ordered some.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
I get the 32 oz bottle and use it to dip my bore patches and brushes in as well as a general carbon cleaner.
You might want to consider using a glass eye dropper to get solvent out of the original bottle. Could keep the 32oz bottle from getting contaminated by double-dipping. They make plastic droppers which would be eaten by any decent gun cleaning solvent.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
edlmann said:
Jimbo357mag said:
I get the 32 oz bottle and use it to dip my bore patches and brushes in as well as a general carbon cleaner.
You might want to consider using a glass eye dropper to get solvent out of the original bottle. Could keep the 32oz bottle from getting contaminated by double-dipping. They make plastic droppers which would be eaten by any decent gun cleaning solvent.
Thanks, actually it is a 32 oz spray bottle and I pour some of it in a small glass jar to use for gun cleaning.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
No contamination: I spray out of the bottle as it was designed for. I just don't think the stuff is all that it is cracked up to be.

Latest posts