Ruger Old Army Conversion Cylinders Which?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wmgeorge

Bearcat
I got my NIB stainless ROA and thought it would be nice to shoot 45 ACP instead of the usual 45 LC in a conversion cylinder. Powder and ball will be my primary use for the gun, but might want a change. Yes, they do make them in ACP and yes its safe using lead bullets.

My question. I can purchase a Howell (who has been making them for years) in stainless for about $260 or so and the Kirst Konvertor for $380 both shipped prices. Both stainless and both 45 ACP.

So what makes the Kirst so much more expensive, and are they better??

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Enquiring minds want to know. I have toyed with a .45 colt cylinder for my Old Army but if I am limited to less than standard loads I really don't see much advantage.

wmgeorge

Bearcat
Thumbcocker said:
Enquiring minds want to know. I have toyed with a .45 colt cylinder for my Old Army but if I am limited to less than standard loads I really don't see much advantage.
The cylinders are made from 4150 chrome alloy steel and both manufactors say hold loads to under 1,000 fps. That includes standard 45 LC and Cowboy loads. 45 ACP standard not P or P+ loads in lead RN and SWC, also meet that limit. ACP is much cheaper than LC to buy. The ROA frame will take just about anything you can fit in it.