Micarta Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
I am contemplating Micarta grips for some of my Ruger single actions. For those that have micarta grips, what do you think about them? Likes, dislikes, any other comments?

Also, does anyone know of a maker who will make a set out of micarta, fit to my grip frames?

Thanks in advance,

J.Johnson

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have four sets of Micarta grips for new Vaqueros. They fit my guns very nice. I did have to relocate the locating dowel holes in the ones I have on my blued NV 7 1/2"
.45's though. They are well made and nicely finished but are a special order item from Hogue and quite expensive IMHO.
Oh, by the way, I ordered two sets of White and waited six weeks for them. They sent two sets of BLACK grips in packaging labled as White !!! I called them up to complain and talked to a very nice lady. I decided to keep them and reorder white grips. She gave me a good discount and put a rush on the new order. That time it took about 3 weeks but they were worth the wait. I have not been able to locate micarta blocks to make my own out of without having to buy a large sheet at a very high cost. Good luck finding a custom maker to make you a set.

G2

Hunter
I like em, they do seem to add weight.

The Hogue's are a good way to go for a starting point. The first set I dealt with were Bisley's, really thick, especially near the top, nothing the power sander, files, and sandpaper didn't fix. It was messy and I would highly suggest a face mask.

I also ended up adjusting the pin location hole, put Vaseline on the grip frame, filled the enlarged hole with JB Weld, installed, let dry ~12 hrs, pulled them off and cleaned up the slag 24hrs later. Fitment ends up perfect.
I also use a a Sharpie to color the JB back to black, just because... :roll:

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
Every time I have to fit or re-fit grips, I use Brownells Acra-Glas. That stuff is great and includes brown & black die. But, don't forget the release agent on the grip frame - if you do, the grips become a permanent part of the gun. To repair visible chips, you can color the epoxy brown and add black die with the tip of a toothpick to match the wood grain.
P.S., Inspect the Micarta grips you want carefully, some black Hogues have tiny white specs in them that run deep & and they won't come out.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I like them on my Single-Six.

RugerSingle-Sixleftprofile.jpg

RugerSingle-Sixrightprofile.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
I love micarta, have quite a bit of it. It's tough stuff, probably the toughest of grip materials. Yet it still has an organic feel to it. Most of what I have is Sheffield antique linear paper like these:

IMG_5438b.jpg

IMG_5657b.jpg

IMG_7120e.jpg

IMG_8036b.jpg

Have some black too:

IMG_8837b.jpg

1chig

Bearcat
I can make you a set of just about any color to your frame. Visit www.chigsgrips.com