What Do You Guys Use Your SA Revolvers For?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

luckybaer

Bearcat
Like the subject line says. Not looking to judge. Just want to know what people use SA revolvers for. I love looking at them, and they look fun to shoot at the range.

terryjulie

Bearcat
Mean 'ol milk jugs, targets, iron dingers , whitetails, wabbits, coyotes, house protection, etc.

I'll admit, I just take them to the range and shoot paper targets. I have holsters but only use them occasionally. With revolvers I shoot slower so I enjoy it more. Like eating slowly vs gulping down a fast food burger.

Luckybaer:
The way your pose the question it sounds like you don't have any single actions?

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have a Blackhawk 41mag that I have shot whitetail deer with, and also a customized Vaquero 45LC that I own because it is just cool.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
Pretty much everything a handgun can be used for, except a club.

Craig you could use one as a club in a pinch, and I would if that all I had. Those 44s and 45s are heavy little critters. Look at all the old west black and white movies they were always clubbing cowboys with them.

Mus408

Hunter
What do I use them for? Shooting steel targets,those bad ol' 2 liters,and anything else that can be a fun target. Then comes the work (reloading) to feed them!
However owning the guns is just the beginning as in most cases it leads to a dream of owning your own
place to enjoy them when you want to shoot!

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Shooting paper, steel, plastic, wood, etc. Animal- hair, fur, muscle, bone, hearts, lungs, etc.

SA Shooting equals fun and meat on the table!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I carry and protect my home with double-action revolvers. The single-action revolvers are used for target practice and remembering the old west. I could if I wanted carry a single-action in the woods for hunting or something.

Rclark

Hunter
To the range, to the field (fishing, hiking, hunting, etc) , in the house ... a single action will go with me. Ie. Always up for the job whatever it is. Like a good friend, it is there when needed... pure fun/relaxation when plinking, target shooting. And I WILL use as a club if it comes down to it!

mart

Bearcat
While only one cougar has fallen to my SA's, I carry one afield anytime I'm out. It may be rafting, canoeing, hunting or fishing, but one is always on my hip. Living in Alaska it's wise to have something you can grab should the need arise.

I shoot a lot of paper and just got some new steel targets. I like to hunt rabbits with my Single Six in the winter and get a few ptarmigan and grouse with it during caribou and moose seasons.

pinshooter

Bearcat
I hate to say it, but my SA revolvers haven't seen daylight ever since I got into DA revolvers, about 25 years ago. :cry:

I've tried for years to wear them out at the range. I don't think it will ever happen.

A revolver is always my backup gun when I'm hunting. It's also my truck gun when I'm hunting.

And when I'm on a road trip but not primarily hunting, there's always a SA revolver with me, as around the next corner I could find myself hunting anyway.

And when I'm in the woods, a SA revolver is almost always my Concealed and/or open carry choice.

WAYNO.

Highhawk1948

Single-Sixer
I usually have a Ruger Super Blackhawk or a Vaquero (45 Colt), with me all of the time. Ccw/around the farm on the farm cart. Jacketed hollow points and shot shells. Today Fired 20 rounds of 44 magnum just to keep my eye in. (Plastic jugs).