Dressed up my GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I dressed up my 10 year old GP yesterday with grip panels from Chigs Grips, Altamont snakeskin checkered rubber grip, One Hole rear sight and Millet orange front sight (for ageing eyes). Love those grip panels. Haven't shot the new sight yet.

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
Nice grip panels! I really like that sight setup, too. I was thinking gold bead front sight for my GP-100, but now I'm thinking your setup. Let us know how it works for you at the range.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I really like those FO front sights. Just put one on my 1984 vintage RH in 357. The one hole rear sight set up is interesting.

Nice grips, too....

The instructions on the One Hole sight suggest you try to ignore the rear sight and concentrate putting the front sight on the target. Your brain will take care of centering everything naturally in the hole. And you still have the elevation and windage adjustment on the factory GP100 rear sight base. You just replace the rear sight notched blade with the round hole. Hope it works as good as it sounds. Should work like a Ghost sight/receiver sight. Thanks for the likes.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Looking Good. The Panels with Medallions are a nice touch with the fancy wood. I would not mind trying one of the back sights some time. I totally agree with you a Fiber Optic Front Sight is a must for Old Eyes. It is great that Ruger's current revolvers are supported with a nice supply of after market parts to make them even nicer than new.

I have the Altamont Snake Skins on my Adjustable Sight 3" GP100 along with a Marble RED Fiber Optic front sight.
My Alaskan in 480 is also set up the same way with Altamont Snake Skin with the "Pinned On" Hi Viz RED Fiber Optic front sight.
I have Altamont Snake Skins and the Marble Green Fiber Optic sight on my 6" BLUE GP100 also. I really like the look on the Blue Finish. This is my main ICORE Match Revolver at the moment. As an Official "Old Guy" I still like a good looking Blued Revolver.

Bob

barrya

Bearcat
steveodtw said:
The instructions on the One Hole sight suggest you try to ignore the rear sight and concentrate putting the front sight on the target. Your brain will take care of centering everything naturally in the hole. And you still have the elevation and windage adjustment on the factory GP100 rear sight base. You just replace the rear sight notched blade with the round hole. Hope it works as good as it sounds. Should work like a Ghost sight/receiver sight. Thanks for the likes.
Where did you get the One Hole sight? That would look nice on my Redhawk!! I have the aged eyes syndrome also. Barry

I got the One Hole sight from Warren Custom Outdoors at this link. http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/one-hole-sights.html
Incidentally, the Millet front sight pictured is not a FO sight. It is a standard blade sight with factory Red/orange paint on the upper half. Almost as bright as FO. Very visible as you can see, as long as you have some light. (Millet Sights Ruger Revolver Sight, Front Orange-bar for GP100/Super Redhawk, P/N FB00018). I can't find any current reference on availability of this front sight. Looks like Millet is an optics-only company now. Looks similar to Shopruger.com Red Front Sight PN 90074 for GP100. Not as bright though. Hope this helps.

barrya

Bearcat
steveodtw said:
I got the One Hole sight from Warren Custom Outdoors at this link. http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/one-hole-sights.html
Incidentally, the Millet front sight pictured is not a FO sight. It is a standard blade sight with factory Red/orange paint on the upper half. Almost as bright as FO. Very visible as you can see, as long as you have some light. (Millet Sights Ruger Revolver Sight, Front Orange-bar for GP100/Super Redhawk, P/N FB00018). I can't find any current reference on availability of this front sight. Looks like Millet is an optics-only company now. Looks similar to Shopruger.com Red Front Sight PN 90074 for GP100. Not as bright though. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for the link. I have one on order. I just wish they made them for Smiths also. Barry

barrya

Bearcat
barrya said:
steveodtw said:
Thanks so much for the link. I have one on order. I just wish they made them for Smiths also. Barry
Steve-did you have any trouble getting the factory sight windage screw out? The slot is so narrow and shallow I am having trouble removing it. I will look for a better screwdriver tomorrow. Just wondering if you had any trouble. Thanks. Barry

barrya said:
barrya said:
steveodtw said:
Steve-did you have any trouble getting the factory sight windage screw out? The slot is so narrow and shallow I am having trouble removing it. I will look for a better screwdriver tomorrow. Just wondering if you had any trouble. Thanks. Barry
As I recall, the windage screw only had to be loosened enough to move the sight blade far enough to the right to remove it. Just remember, the factory sight blade, like the One hole blade has a tiny key or nub that fits into a tiny slot in the sight base. You have to work the blade past right of center until it finds the slot. Then it should pull straight up. The new one goes in reverse order. Good luck.

barrya

Bearcat
Steve-I got it finally. I had to get the Dremel out and custom make a screwdriver blade. It came out fairly easy after that. I was putting one on a GP100 22 and a Redhawk. I test shot the 22 today and my groups shrank significantly. Maybe I can test the 44 tomorrow. Thanks for your report and the help. Barry

jimd441

Blackhawk
WOW I was prepared to be underwhelmed given the title of the thread. But I really like everything you did, and may well be doing the very same things to my 6in. stainless version. I too have aging eyes and love the grip modifications. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I had the four inch barrel for years. I had to have it for state qualifications as I was a certified law enforcement fire arms instructor. After a while all the local departments went to semi autos and now I had a gun I didn't have a use for. Well I decided to upgrade to the six inch model:

GP-100a.jpg

I ended up setting it up for hunting. She is a tack driver and I love her!!!