Weak bluing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I was cleaning my Blackhawk flattop the other day, and I noticed that the bluing is worn completely off in a few spots. I have fired this gun a lot, but I've only had it about a year, maybe less. I take good care of my guns, and this one shows more wear than all my others put together.

I've read a fair amount about the "thin" bluing on newer Ruger revolvers, and I think if I'd have known about it before buying the BLackhawk I'd have strongly considered buying it in stainless.

I really like my Blackhawk, and plan to keep shooting it a lot. I'm starting to consider, though, that I may want to get it refinished.

Rclark

Hunter
Your gun is just getting some 'character' ;) . Mine are getting that way too, slipping in and out of holsters and just general use ... like the muzzle area, ring around the cylinder, and where the holster rubs...

GP100

Buckeye
I pretty much buy only Stainless Steel versions of Ruger's because of that.. Blue's are not like they used to be decades ago.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
There is NO more appealing look in a sixgun then well warn bluing wear from the holster. Every sharp edge should be white, flat surfaces should look shivering in the sunlight . In becoming so it has fullfilled, AND IS FULLFILLING , it's mission in life. Otherwise it is just a clunk of metal with NO earthly using value.
And so it goes...

CraigC

Hawkeye
I agree!

Several years ago I had a big cancer scare when they found a large tumor growing inside my jaw bone. It had grown to the point that it was eggshell thin and could've crumbled with the slightest impact. It was a rough few weeks waiting for the biopsy results. Turned out to be an overly aggressive yet benign cyst that they were able to remove. Long story short, I decided that life was short and there were things I wanted to accomplish. I had always fantasized about bird hunting with an old British double but they were way out of my price range. I spent some money I didn't have and went into some credit card debt to treat myself to a Merkel 28ga, which I thought was the next best thing. Until I had my most recent engraved .500JRH built, it was the single most expensive firearm I've owned and remains #2. I remember after a few months of use busting clays and a handful of bird hunts that I noticed the finish was starting to wear from handling. The high spots on the fences were worn bright. It excited me to no end that I had put that fine shotgun to enough use to wear the finish. While it is a beautiful shotgun, the real pleasure is derived from using such a fine game gun, not in just looking at it. Same applies to all my guns, regardless of cost. Which is why traditional blued and/or color case hardened guns will always be more special to me than stainless. So ALL my sixguns become intimately familiar with leather.

DPris

Buckeye
Give that man a cigar! :)

My oldest Rugers, a Security-Six & a Single-Six both acquired in '76 show lots of finish wear.

When I look at the .357, each thin bluing spot reminds me of my first LE job in a uniformed career behind several badges where I bet my life on that gun.
When I look at the worn bluing & walnut grips on the .22, it instantly brings back memories of sagebrush & many desert outings chasing rabbits & exploring old mines.

Neither will ever be re-blued as long as I own 'em.
Denis

WILL TERRY:
There is NO more appealing look in a sixgun then well warn bluing wear from the holster. Every sharp edge should be white, flat surfaces should look shivering in the sunlight . In becoming so it has fullfilled, AND IS FULLFILLING , it's mission in life. Otherwise it is just a clunk of metal with NO earthly using value.
I don't think I've agreed with you more than this post.

CraigC:
I remember you posting pictures of your engraved .500JRH, but have you ever posted pictures of your Merkel 28 guage? I bet there are quite a few people here who would love to see it if you haven't.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Years ago when I picked up my blued 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero Bisley in 44 Mag. from my local dealer (bought it off 'Broker and had it shipped in to him) it was used and in real nice shape but... my dealer friend was quick to point out a small "blemish" in the case coloring - like I got screwed. Well, I planned on using that 44 hard as my go to woods bumming revolver and didn't care a bit. Worked up a load with Lyman's Keith 240 gr. LSWC at about 950 fps, sighted it in to POA (filed the front sight and a couple of thousandths off the right rear sight notch, cold blued the raw metal), installed a Belt Mt. base pin, did an action job, added a set of Cary's Spalted Maple grips, and stuck it all in a EPS Threepersons holster. It is the one revolver I trust day in and day out and I'm never without it in the mountains be it Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter....After all these years it has acquired much "character" and every so often I look at that little spot on the case coloring (which is beginning to wear a bit thin) that my dealer friend saw, and I just laugh. Nothing like the wear on a revolver honestly worn from use.

The Preacher

DPris

Buckeye
Don't encourage him.
I'm already envious enough.
Wanted a Merkel for years. :)
Denis

CraigC

Hawkeye
Believe it or not, I have never taken a picture of it. I may try to get one when the rain stops. Or maybe tomorrow, it's storming right now. It is a lovely little thang. :)