What is this pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunpoorboy

Single-Sixer
Just received my new GP100 in .44 Special. It had the gun, the manual, the lock and one other item in the box from the factory.

It's a pin either in brass or copper (looks like copper) about 3/4 of an inch long in a see thru baggie. Couldn't find it in the manual.

What is it for?

hittman

Staff member
Sounds to me like the little widget used during take down of the Six Series double actions but I've no experience with take down of the GPs.

Ron IL

Bearcat
That is the pin you use to take the gun apart. If you look at the book in the area that tells you how to take it apart you will see that it is to put in the hammer spring to keep it compressed while you take it apart.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That little pin is for holding the mainspring compressed on the strut. A paperclip or similar will suffice when taking the gun apart. If you have the original wood insert grips there is a little notch under the left wood insert for the pin to go in.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
That pin was originally located in a groove inside one of the panels on the old grip design but the new one-piece grips don't have a storage place for it so it comes packed loose in the box.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Ron IL said:
That is the pin you use to take the gun apart. If you look at the book in the area that tells you how to take it apart you will see that it is to put in the hammer spring to keep it compressed while you take it apart.
Exactly correct. It's amazing what one can learn from reading the manual.