GP 100 44 Special to 44 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
Possible? Probably. Advisable? Not so much. I'm not an engineer or metalurgist, but I expect that if Ruger thought that what you suggest was a good idea, they would have offered it that way. Besides, there's very little on the North American continent that a stout .44 Special load won't stop.

Mus408

Hunter
Why not just go with a .44 Mag revolver to start with then load down your Magnum loads for easy plinking and hot rounds for business?
I know not a Ruger,but I have a nice 3 inch barreled S&W 629 that makes a great trail gun!
A short Redhawk would do the job.

Mus408

Hunter
Most likely need a larger diameter cylinder to handle magnum pressure.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
dougader said:
S&W 69; 5 shot 44 mag on their L frame.

This. I went back and forth on buying a 44 special blackhawk. Would of considered a 44 special GP if they were offered at that time. Then smith came out with the 69 less weight than the blackhawk or the GP. Magnum capable little extra barrel length over the GP is hardly noticeable and for me the 69 is legal to hunt with in my state. The GP barrel is too short.

My particular Smith 69 is the best trigger, and fit and finish of any production gun I have handled in the last ten years. Last six rugers have had to return the mothership for various issues.

Really surprised that Ruger did not find a way to go mag with the GP and directly compete with the Smith. As the Smith has been in very high demand.

5of7

Hunter
Blackmore said:
Take a look at the thickness of the forcing cone walls on the .44SPC GP100. That would be a deal breaker for me.

I agree that the forcing cone would be the weak point. If you want a stouter .44 Sp., then just load the 240 grainer up to about 950 to 1000 fps and let it go at that. The GP will handle the pressure as long as you use the proper burning rate powder. 8)

Thel

Blackhawk
I do not think it could be converted and be expected to last. The forcing cones are thin. The logical thing would be to put on a barrel with a thicker shank and hence forcing cone. I suspect the width of the frame at where the barrel screws in is too narrow. The frame width would need to be increased. It would be interesting to measure frame width there vis-a-vis a Model 69. A different cylinder may be needed with a bit larger overall diameter and greater length but that is more easily rectified than the frame width.