Range Day, Fine tuning a .357 Blackhawk and Winchester 94

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I bought a Stainless Blackhawk .357 (4 5/8" barrel) a few months ago and have enjoyed shooting it. Hadn't found a load it really liked until today, so I adjusted the sights for this load, a Sierra 158 grain jacketed hollow point, propelled by 7.2 grains Unique, for an advertised 1000 feet per second. I had a nice cast lead round that works good and accurately in my Rossi 92 Carbine, but the revolver didn't favor it. Group size was at least twice as big....

12 rounds fired at 20 yards, standing two hand hold:

The load it didn't like was a Missouri Bullet Company 158 grain lead flat point, enough Unique to get 900 FPS.

Rounded out my day testing an old (1972 vintage) Winchester 94 I recently picked up at a pawn shop. Rifle has lots of character, patina and worn finish, but it shoots great. Didn't have to touch the sights, five rounds of Federal 150 grain soft points, fired from the prone position at 50 yards, steel rabbit target:

Rifle and revolver are now ready for trail duty, riding with me on my ATV.

But tonight, it's "Cabin Front Porch" duty, rifle and dog on the lookout.......

Mus408

Hunter
Very nice! I too enjoyed some "cabin front porch duty" today. Was plinking cans and 2 liters with my son with a .22 revolver right off the porch.

Looks like you have 2 great shooters!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is a nice pair of guns but they favor different ammo. Oh well. ...as long as you found some good loads for them, and that Sierra bullet is great, that is what counts. That Winny looks like a smooth shooter. Lucky guy.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Different ammo can be good, you got 2 chances to find something you can use when things get scarce.

rufrdr

Bearcat
Nice firearms. Seems funny to me to see a 1972 model 94 referred to as 'old'. That was the year I graduated high school...oh, that was 44 years ago. Guess it is old!