Ruger Redhawk, .45 Colt/ .45acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knipper

Bearcat
Just got one of these. Is there a more ideal weight hammer/trigger spring I should consider?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Many experiment with different springs. However,,, I've found that having a smith smooth up the action does much more than swapping around springs. You do want reliable ignition, and a good action.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum. I tried a lighter spring in my standard Redhawk and got a misfire once in a while, double-action, so I went back to the factory spring. Break the gun in well, learn to stage the trigger and then see if you want to change the spring. It doesn't hurt to try a lighter spring as long as you are not depending on the gun to defend something.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I have one of these myself; I bought a Wolff spring kit that came with 12, 13 and 14 lb. springs (IIRC). I tried each and every one of them, and all of them had regular "light" strikes. A return to the factory spring has resulted in 100% reliability, so far.

I agree that there is more to be gained and less to be lost with having a good trigger/action job done and leaving the spring alone.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I have 2 Redhawks and I have been experimenting with Wolff springs for a few years. What I have learned is:

1. The factory spring is awful. Too heavy. I cannot shoot accurately double action with the factory spring.

2. CCI primers are your enemy. They are a problem for both Ruger and for Smith and Wesson revolvers. Go on the Smith&Wesson forum and do some reading there. Lot's of S&W revolver owners have problems with them.

3. Even the 14 lb Wolff spring is too light for 100% reliable ignition. What we need is a 16lb Wolff spring (which would translate into about a 10lb double action trigger pull on a Lyman gauge.

4. What I did was use a 14lb spring and a small section of a 13lb spring together to get a 10lb trigger pull. Works great. My Redhawk is 100% reliable (so far).

5. If you reload, use Federal primers.

Thel

Blackhawk
I think the standard spring is 17 lbs. I have had a number of Redhawks tuned by various shops and played with springs. Best I could do was a 14 lb spring. I also added the extended firing pin from Bowen and had the headspace set down around 0.063" and minimal endshake and had 0.055" firing pin protrusion. With this setup it would fire in double action WW primers, Federal and whatever CorBon uses in their ammo. As others have noted avoid CCI primers as they are the least sensitive. Also, just because it does not FTF in single action check the double action as the hammer arc and amount the spring is compressed is less so the hammer hits with less force. Bowen, when he tunes a RH, retains the stock spring.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Accurate fast shooters always retain the stock spring. Faster lock time give you less time to shake. And faster recovery. Rob Dearden head armorer at Ruger once told me the first thing they did with Rugers sent back was to put full strength stock springs back in. Quite often that cleared up problems.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have never had an issue with Ruger factory springs. Many people talk as if Ruger does not know what spring to put on their revolvers. I could see polishing the contact elements but nothing more. Even that takes care of itself with a little shooting.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
How many of you guys that are telling the OP to stick to the factory spring are actually shooting double action?

NikA

Buckeye
I use factory springs in my Redhawks. With polishing the DA pulls are under 10 pounds. Not S&W DA nice, but serviceable. I do not change geometry, just polish with 1200 grit and lube with Lubriplate.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Ralph I leave mine stock because I like a fast snappy action with instant reset. I have some revolvers with da only bobbed hammers even. I do stage my Ruger triggers due to Ruger's long action compared to Dan Wesson or Smith and Wesson however. I do that for police type shooting since I was a cop 20 years and more recently municipal judge. I can't see anyone however shooting a Redhawk double action. They were made for hunting where accuracy would dictate single action usually. I might stroke off a double action shot on a charging bear?

silverback

Blackhawk
congratulations!

I had fun with mine. great shooter but I found it a bit heavy. Great for cranking up the loads. If they came out with a lighter version (Taurus M460) I would be all over it. shoot it a bunch before you think about changing springs.

Latest posts