Thinking New GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Thinking of getting a new GP100 6" stainless
Is the Talo version with unfluted cylinder any better than the standard ?
Worth the extra cash ?

sp327

Single-Sixer
If the looks are worth it to you then yes it is worth the extra cash. Other wise they are the same gun. I used to think because they were a dealer exclusive they got better treatment. That doesn't seem to be the case. I think the best advise anyone can give you, is to look it over very good before you lay down your cash.

trapperon

Blackhawk
If you prefer the visual appeance of an unfluted cylinder then yes it is most definately worth the extra money. Grips are easily changeable so that is a non factor in my opinion. Nothing worse than buying a new gun and thinking "wish i would have gotten........" every time you look at it! So basically remove the $$ factor and get the one you like best.
I personally think that unfluted 6 incher is one tough looking revolver.

Ron

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Thanks,
No one near has them in stock, so I would have to order one.
I hate buying without handling.
One of the main things I hate finding is excessive B/C gap.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Well I just checked the Roster list for California and the Talo is not legal here.
So looks like I am getting the standard version.
Also I just got off the phone with Ruger and the B/C tolerance for that revolver runs
.003 - .013 :shock:
Also was told if on the higher side, they may or may not bring it down tighter even if pay for it.
So I am going to try to buy one local that I can check.

Reaper9

Bearcat
If you don't​have a GP 100 Stainless in .357 Magnum, you need one, IMO.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have four GP100's and I have not had a BCG problem. I have owned 8 total and two of them had the barrel constricted where it went through the frame. If you get one with that problem they are very hard to make shoot good. I like my 6" light contour one the best . The full lug 6" GP's are quite heavy and I like my 4" full lug better than the 6" full lug ,even though the 6" shoots quite good !

jimd441

Blackhawk
Given the choice, which I had, I chose the standard, and am glad I did. My guess is that you will be quite happy with one.

Jim

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Well, I just put a Standard 6" GP100 SS on layaway :mrgreen:
Can't Dros it for another 2 weeks :(
B/C gap is .004 and trigger pull fairly crisp.
Cylinders will have to opened up a tad maybe .0005 - .001
Hoping to do it myself, I think Brownells might sell a kit for the job.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
Well I just checked the Roster list for California and the Talo is not legal here.
You may not be getting the Talo edition, but I can say that if its anything like mine, you're still getting a fine revolver. I've had mine for about 9 years now and I still enjoy it as much as I did on day one.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Zebraranger said:
You may not be getting the Talo edition, but I can say that if its anything like mine, you're still getting a fine revolver. I've had mine for about 9 years now and I still enjoy it as much as I did on day one.

Where can I buy those stag grips?

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Zebraranger said:

Very Nice,
I Dros mine tomorrow.
Were to find those grips and the front sight ?
Mine will come with the big Hogue grips that I do not like.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
The Front Sight looks like a Marble available from Midway. They come in Green and Red. No advice on the color choice. I have both, and like both colors. I picked Green for a hunting back up on my SRH.
Check out Altamont for the rubber grips. They have the fancy rubber, and wood inserts. I have the Snake Skin Sets on several of mine. For the Stag Inserts check www.sackpeterson.com
A little on the expensive side, but very nice if you like the Stag Look.

Bob