Blue loctite wont keep my screws from loosening.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MrBill

Bearcat
Ejector rod holder on my SBH keeps loosening, I've used blue loct-tite more then once on it but it doesnt hold. Had the same problem with the grip frame screws but so far they have stayed solid. Wondering if I could use a stronger loct-tite or is their some other secret to keeping it tight? No problems on lighter loads, but when I load up 310 g hardcast over 21 grains of H110 I keep my screwdriver handy.

Kanook

Buckeye
A piece of 2lb monofilament fishing line in the hole will work also.

TRJeff

Bearcat
This is an old assist for loctite use, use the blue strength and add a small amount of baking soda on the wet Loctite, tighten. adds a small amount of grit,

Clean the threads in the gun and on the screw thoroughly, remove all of the old Loctite, clean with brake clean or some other type of solvent that evaporates and leave dry, apply Loctite and tighten, leave sit for 24 hours and you should have no problems with it holding.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Captain America said:
Clean the threads in the gun and on the screw thoroughly, remove all of the old Loctite, clean with brake clean or some other type of solvent that evaporates and leave dry, apply Loctite and tighten, leave sit for 24 hours and you should have no problems with it holding.
Yes, the threads have to be clean, dry and oil free for Loctite to work properly. That includes the female threads which are often overlooked.

s4s4u

Hunter
MrBill, did you clean and degrease the screw and hole prior to applying the Loctite?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
On my .44s, I coat the underside of the ejector rod housing with a thin coat of sealant to add a little stickiness to the part. I forget the name right now, but believe its something like "F-28." To remove it takes a few taps with a plastic mallet.

Bob Wright

MrBill

Bearcat
:oops: Uh no, no degreasing I just usually wipe off the screw with a paper towel and jam some in the hole, then apply the loctite, so I'll have to pick up some brake cleaner and re do it. But I do let it sit, as I dont shoot it but every couple months or so.. I hope that works, or I'll try the fishing line and baking soda.

Thanks for the help, once I re-do it, I'll post my results! Probably be next week or so.

Bob Wright said:
On my .44s, I coat the underside of the ejector rod housing with a thin coat of sealant to add a little stickiness to the part. I forget the name right now, but believe its something like "F-28." To remove it takes a few taps with a plastic mallet.

Bob Wright

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out too!

rjn

Bearcat
As others have said clean inner and outer threads. I use Q'tip wetted with isopropyl alcohol and that works fine to clean out the inner threads. Sort of thread the Q'tip in and it cleans out the threads well enough. Brake cleaner can work but might strong stuff so watch where you get it.

As far as baking soda and fishing line well that sounds like chewing gum and bailing wire but if it works...

DGW1949

Hunter
Also, shake well before use.
The directions/instructions on how to use Loctite are on the bottle.

DGW

wwb

Hunter
rjn said:
As others have said clean inner and outer threads. I use Q'tip wetted with isopropyl alcohol and that works fine to clean out the inner threads. Sort of thread the Q'tip in and it cleans out the threads well enough. Brake cleaner can work but might strong stuff so watch where you get it............

^^^ This ^^^

And, for the fans of the old, original Saturday Night Live, "Oh nooooo !!! Mister Bill !!!"

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I saw a 1965 Ruger ad for sale on GB. This showed every small screw, even the 3 action screws as "Nyloc". Grip, ERC,, base pin latch,,, maybe thats what you need. My new .41 BH shot every screw loose. Even threw the front sight off! But I found rust under it, bad solder job.

Rclark

Hunter
I have one .44Mag BH where I could not keep the Ejector housing in place whatever I tried. It would really bang up the screw. I finally replaced the housing with an aluminum one and the launching problem went away. May not look as nice as the steel, but worked in this case.

NikA

Buckeye
FWIW, my most recent request for SA action screws from Ruger yielded a set of screws with Nylock inserts instead of Loctite compound. Might be worth inquiring if Ruger has changed the ERH screw design.