OM Ruger Flattop 44 10" barrel, Ruger Stags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ran across this at a gun shop yesterday. Ruger OM Flattop, 44mag, 10" barrel, Ruger Stag Grips. It did have bluing wear and was used but overall good condition, grips looked great. They are asking $1600.00. Is that about right? Sorry, didn't even think about pictures.

street

Hunter
RENE list 10 in. .44 Mag. Flattop at 95 to 97% at $1925.00. Ruger Stag Grips at $555.00. If the Grips are Ruger Factory Stag grips and the gun is in any decent shape then $1600.00 would be a good starting price to deal and depending on how much bluing wear could be a steal. We just don't have anything to go by. When you say it has bluing wear that could be anywhere from 50% to 95%. We would need good pitures to give you a price.

Thank you for the input, I may run by and take another look. They are original factory stags, look like they were put on about the same time the gun was made. This is a good gun shop with fair prices.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
SWRZR said:
Thank you for the input, I may run by and take another look. They are original factory stags, look like they were put on about the same time the gun was made. This is a good gun shop with fair prices.

Welcome to the forum,
When you go back to look at it please note the serial number,,, :wink:
Terry

With great difficulty. Even the experts here rarely agree on these. It's fairly easy to reveal sloppy after-market attempts, but good ones can be pretty controversial. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will respond here.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
SWRZR said:
hittman said:
SWRZR said:
They are original factory stags

This part may be hotly debated. :lol:

So, how would I verify the originality of the grips, is it possible?
I will tell you what I was told "Open up Dougan's book to page 101. If they don't look exactly like the ones on that page they are not factory." The biggest tell is the medallions have to be in the right spot.

hittman

Staff member
From what I've learned here ..... one should tread very very carefully on "factory" stags; especially if you're basing the price of the entire package on their originality .... or lack of it.

We need pics, both grips, front and back, both on and off the gun. Even then there will be debate.

sometimes the opposite is true ,if they are TOO precise, TOO good, TOO perfect, that to me raises a red flag......factory grips just "stand out" (look old) are usually quite recognizable to most of the collector, based on a LOT of known factors, and as hittman said need to see both the fronts, as well as the back of the grips...... :wink:

Thank you for all the info, I drove back over to the shop after work and did not get there in time, they were closed. I don't know enough about these Ruger's to invest that kinda cash without being sure, so I'm not going to pursue it. I'm leaving town tomorrow anyway and would not be able to go back to the shop without a long detour. Guess I will wait and learn! Thank you again!

hittman

Staff member
Where is the shop if you're gonna pass?
Maybe one of us are local to them or can make a trip, call them for info, etc.

Your call!
I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the gun ..... just hope we all make informed choices and this one is a tough call.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Here is one my Son has..
What is the condition compared to his ?

413239414.jpg

413239413.jpg

Latest posts