Another SP101 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Reaper9

Bearcat
I installed an after-market spring kit in my SP101 yesterday and think that something maybe doesn't feel quite right with it. The trigger spring is 8 lbs. and the hammer spring is 10 lbs. I also took the trigger group apart to give it a good cleaning. The gun shoots and functions fine, except the trigger kind of hangs up on about the last 1/8 inch of the return. I can't tell if I maybe didn't put something together quite right or if it is the lighter trigger spring that is causing the glitchy feel in the trigger return.

I can make it hang up sometime by keeping my finger on the trigger as it returns, but not every time. The owner's manual does make a point of advising to not ride the trigger on the return, which makes me think it might just be the lighter spring. Any thoughts?

That's how they are sometimes with the light return spring if you don't do any cleaning up in the trigger return spring bore or polishing of the trigger group. Really pay attention to the trigger plunger and the cylinder latch, what your feeling is the plunger getting stuck on the latch as it rides over it on return.

http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html

s4s4u

Hunter
To be honest, the return spring doesn't do all that much for lightening trigger pull. If it were me I'd put the factory spring back in there. I prefer a quick reset anyway.

s4s4u said:
To be honest, the return spring doesn't do all that much for lightening trigger pull. If it were me I'd put the factory spring back in there. I prefer a quick reset anyway.

I agree 100% with this, my .22lr SP101 works much better with the stock springs, after the internal work I did my wife can hold the gun in one hand and easily cock the gun with her thumb.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You definitely want a positive trigger return. Go to a stronger return spring and see how it feels. That spring is easy to replace. You may also want to check the hole that the spring goes into and make sure it is smooth inside. A drill bit of the proper size, turned by your fingers, can remove any burrs. A little polishing is the next step if it isn't smooth enough.

Reaper9

Bearcat
I used a drill bit to smooth the hole and it definitely helped. Before I used the drill bit, it took about 3 hard taps to get the trigger plunger out. After using the drill bit, the plunger falls out with one easy tap. I am also not able to get the trigger to hang up and not reset. Thanks to everyone for all of the great information.

Reaper9

Bearcat
I forgot to mention that the lighter trigger return spring is still in the gun, so I am very pleased with the results.