150 series Security six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mystery solved -help no longer needed
thanks all!
Hello anyone in No. Nevada or No. california got one of these I can look at?
i have a couple of sets of grips i need to check fit on.
located in reno-
traveling to bay area in april
thanks
Larry in Reno
[email protected]

Terry T

Buckeye
Not quite sure what you are looking for.
Can you post photos of the grips? Might be able to tell from looking at them.
If they are factory, it's easy.
It they are after market, please show the 'inside'.
I have several low back guns so I know how the grips are different.

If you travel via S. Lake Tahoe (US 50) I can meet you at a gun store in Placerville, depending on when, etc. etc.
Terry T

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Terry what's the difference on the low back guns. I've been looking at some security six and thinking about get one of the fix sights 2 3/4 bl. But don't know alot about them. thanks

Terry T

Buckeye
Mag-force,
Where to begin?
The first fixed sight sq. butt Ruger Six Series double actions had a low back grip and were labeled "Ruger Security Six" along side of the adj. sight guns. Usually have a 150- prefix in the ser. no.

There were some complaints about too much muzzle flip so the grip was redesigned to lower the bore in the hand - the high back grip.
At the same time the name on the fixed sight, sq. butt guns was changed to "Ruger Police Service Six".

So....of the approx. 1.2M six series double actions made, only the first 100,000 or so have the low back grip frame.

The round butt, fixed sight guns were always labeled "Ruger Speed Six" but they underwent the same change from low back to high back about when the ser. no. prefix indexed from 150- to 151-.

Just to confuse things, the earliest (lowest ser. no.) High Back is about ser. no. 150-95xxx and the latest low back (highest ser. no.) is about ser. no. 151-26xxx, an approx. 30K ser. no. overlap.

We have yet to find any fixed sight low back in Stainless. We have adj. sight, low backs in Stainless.

The low back grip has a straighter back strap and exposes more of the base of the hammer.

This is a high back, fixed sight, sq. butt, Police Service Six - notice the distinct curve at the top of the butt where the web of your hand would go and see how little of the base of the hammer is exposed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630817749

This is low back with an adj. sight, sq. butt Security Six - compare the relatively flat back strap on this grip with the grip above and how much more of the base of the hammer is exposed. The fixed sight low back guns have the same grip frame.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631437855

Fixed sight, low back, guns would generally be considered collectable. There are way more high back guns, of course.

Hope this helps and does not confuse! :shock:
Terry T

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Terry thank you so much. You did a good job explaining. Now if i can only find a nice one like that fix sight gun. thanks again

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Mag-force,
Here is a low back fixed site Security Six I recently bought in .357 mag.
Something about the low backs makes me really like them..

413187703.jpg

413187702.jpg

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
hd that is one nice piece! I bought a 4'' those 2-3/4 are hard to find in fix sights