Bought a new gun with no rifling, single six .32

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JEB308

Bearcat
Anyone ever have this happen. I just picked up a stainless SS in .32 mag
Which I was told new never shot a safe queen. I fired it this week end
An the bullets were tumbling bad. Had me puzzled until I started to slug the barrel and that's when I discovered it has no rifling in the barrel. Do you think Ruger will make it good.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Needless to say, it's not doing you any good as it is.
Notify Ruger and see what they say about it. I'm sure a quick inspection will tell them if the gun has been abused or not and they will act accordingly.

contender

Ruger Guru
It has happened before. Not often,, and from all makers at one time or another.
Some collectors like oddities like this,,, but most just return the gun to the manufacturer & let them correct it. Just make sure they have the parts necessary,,, still in production,,,or they will scrap it & offer you a "gun of your choice".

skeeter

Single-Sixer
This brings me to the question, is it legal to own? You can't have an unrifled contender barrel in 45 colt.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I heard a story similar to this some years ago, except with a .22.

Turns out the owner had been "cleaning" it with a stainless steel bore brush and a cleaning rod. One end of the rod held the bore brush, and the other was clamped into a power drill...

Some time later, it had become a smooth bore. Apparently he was very thorough.

Why is it not legal to own? Especially if the bullets tumble, I assume the accuracy is not very good...

But shotguns don't have rifling and you could shoot slugs out of them if you wanted.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Why is it not legal to own? Especially if the bullets tumble, I assume the accuracy is not very good...

But shotguns don't have rifling and you could shoot slugs out of them if you wanted.

Rifled shotgun barrels are pretty common, but it's still a shotgun. But all this quibbling about smooth bore or rifling in one firearm or another is totally the result of the insane classifications of firearms by the ATF, among others. No different in essence than classifying some firearm according to cosmetic features. It's all a giant crock of political manure intended to cause gun owners grief and suck money out of us to obtain their "Permission" to have. :x It's legalized extortion plain and simple. :x

DPris

Buckeye
A smoothbore handgun falls under the NFA 1934 provisions, which means you have to pay a $200 tax to the feds, submit fingerprints, get a background check, and then get the tax stamp with paperwork back from them to legally possess.

Nothing to do with accuracy or tumbling bullets whatever.

Doesn't matter if you agree or not, that gun falls into their definition, not yours, and as such if you don't go through the process, you are possessing it illegally.

Typically a sizable fine & a federal prison sentence may be offered if you're caught with it.
Denis

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I got a Colt Python back in the 80's that was unrifled from the factory. It was made during the UAW strike at Colts and QC was non-existent.
I took it back the the GS I bought it at. The owner immediately ordered me another one. I'm pretty sure the first gun never made it back to Hartford.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DPris said:
A smoothbore handgun falls under the NFA 1934 provisions, which means you have to pay a $200 tax to the feds, submit fingerprints, get a background check, and then get the tax stamp with paperwork back from them to legally possess.

Doesn't matter if you agree or not, that gun falls into their definition, not yours, and as such if you don't go through the process, you are possessing it illegally.

Typically a sizable fine & a federal prison sentence may be offered if you're caught with it.
Denis

Yeah, I know what the rules are. The rules suck. :x

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DPris said:
Gene,
My remarks were directed at Kevin. :)
Denis

It's not always clear who somebody is directing their remarks at unless the quote option is used, or addressing that person by their forum name. Without one or the other, a post can be taken to be directed at the post immediately preceding the reply, or just a general comment open to everyone, which causes much confusion. :)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
DPris said:

Denis

Yeah, I know what the rules are. The rules suck. :x

If they wanted to use you as an example, it could mean up to $100,000.00 and 10 years bustin rocks. I would contact Ruger imediatly , just to cover my a$$.

Thanks Denis, I didn't know all those rules is at all. As GunnyGene pointed out, it must be just the crazy categorization of gun's and purely cosmetic at that. I can understand why ful autos or silencers or short barreled rifles are on these lists, but rifling in a barrel? Wow.