What 22 revolver for 16 year old girl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bowdier

Bearcat
I have a girl turing 16 this year that has been hunting with me since she was 6. She has has for the past 5 saying that she wanted a 22 pistol for her 16th birthday. She shots a 243 hunting and sometimes cares my single six 6 1/2 for snakes and such. My SS stainless is really to big for her so I was looking at other sizes and model's of 22.. I had thought about a smaller SS in blue so it's lighter or even a Bearcat with sights. I not sure about the Bearcat as she would have to load at 1/2 cocktail then would have to get it safe again. I lover single actions but what suggestions do you have..single or double ..which one. .etc
bowdier

glenncal1

Bearcat
The sp101 is a nice gun, I had to put bigger grips on mine, I wear a men's large glove. As usual with Ruger, built like a tank and I like the hi-viz sights.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Older S&W model 34 or 63, 4". Light, compact, and the "swiss watch" of .22 revolvers.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Bowdier said:
I have a girl turing 16 this year that has been hunting with me since she was 6. She has has for the past 5 saying that she wanted a 22 pistol for her 16th birthday. She shots a 243 hunting and sometimes cares my single six 6 1/2 for snakes and such. My SS stainless is really to big for her so I was looking at other sizes and model's of 22.. I had thought about a smaller SS in blue so it's lighter or even a Bearcat with sights. I not sure about the Bearcat as she would have to load at 1/2 cocktail then would have to get it safe again. I lover single actions but what suggestions do you have..single or double ..which one. .etc
bowdier

Bowdier,
My suggestion would be a Ruger LCRx 3" .38Spl. With Ruger ARX Polycase ammo. The Polycase ammo
has low recoil and still hits hard. And is +P. Also gives your daughter the choice of single or double action.
Couple of loaders and she is set to go. My wife shoots one and loves it. She is 79 yrs young.
I know you said you are looking for a .22, but this is something your daughter could grow into.
Blackie

I have the LCR and the SP101 in .22lr. The LCR is light as a feather and has a great trigger pull for a .22 revolver but is a DA only gun with a short barrel. The SP101 has a little stiffer trigger but is great "kit" sized gun for woods work and a trigger that can be tuned easily. I love both of these revolvers and you wouldn't go wrong with either. If possible take her with you to a gun shop/show and have her handle a couple without letting her know what you're up to, my guess is she'll let you know what she likes.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
A Ruger MK IV pistol might work too. My first handgun at age 17 was a MKI Standard, with six inch barrel. One with target sights would give a lifetimes worth of enjoyment, and not a lot of money either.

G2

Hunter
toroflow said:
Older S&W model 34 or 63, 4". Light, compact, and the "swiss watch" of .22 revolvers.
+1

By far the the best of the best, I have a older 63, 4" barrel. Not a fan of the 3" or 5".
Watch GB and pick your moment, some go for crazy prices,,,
you want to pay ~$500+, will probably pay ~$600+,
definitely $100 more than any Ruger but it's not even close.

This is coming from someone who owns 11 single sixes. :shock:

BUT if you want to go Single Action, the girls do like the 4.6" Single Six's with just the black slim hard rubber grips. :wink:

The cats meow is the 3" birdshead but there bringing 1k+ now.

Warning: Single Ten's while tempting, are kinda rough in the action out of the box and not a easy fix, can be, but not easily. Just sayin. :roll:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bowdier said:
I not sure about the Bearcat as she would have to load at 1/2 cocktail then would have to get it safe again.
I assume you believe the Bearcat has to be carried with only 5 chambers loaded and the hammer down on an empty one like the Colt SAAs and it's clones That's not correct. The current Bearcats have the same type of transfer bar safety as other Ruger "New Model" single actions and can be safely carried with all six chambers loaded so there is no loading "drill" to learn.

contender

Ruger Guru
A lot of good ideas,,, but may I suggest a different route?
On her B-Day,,,,take her shopping & let her pick out the gun SHE wants. I'm sure she already has a pretty good idea of the type of .22 she may want. But,, by taking her & letting HER choose,, she gets to handle & feel the guns & find what fits HER!

22/45 Fan said:
Bowdier said:
I not sure about the Bearcat as she would have to load at 1/2 cocktail then would have to get it safe again.
I assume you believe the Bearcat has to be carried with only 5 chambers loaded and the hammer down on an empty one like the Colt SAAs and it's clones That's not correct. The current Bearcats have the same type of transfer bar safety as other Ruger "New Model" single actions and can be safely carried with all six chambers loaded so there is no loading "drill" to learn.
And the cat can be had with adjustable sights now so that is a plus. The questions is, what does SHE want to do with whatever she gets? As was said, take her to a shop that has a few different models and see which one she feels comfortable with.

I agree with Fox Mike, she should have some input. I'm thinking that if she is already familiar with the single six maybe get her one in 4-5/8". That will be a little smaller for her. Depending on if she likes it. Having a Single Six for a while and move down to a bearcat might be a disappointment. That's why her input is good.

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I might suggest you look at an older Harrington & Richardson "Sportsman" model 999. My wife absolutely loves the one I inherited from my grandfather. 9 shots, top break, decent adjustable sights, 6" bbl. Granted, it isn't as desirable as a Ruger or S&W, but I would put it up against any other revolver, including my S&W model 18 Combat Masterpiece for accuracy.

Taterman

Buckeye
contender said:
On her B-Day,,,,take her shopping & let her pick out the gun SHE wants. I'm sure she already has a pretty good idea of the type of .22 she may want. But,, by taking her & letting HER choose,, she gets to handle & feel the guns & find what fits HER!

x2
At that age, they can be pretty picky. If she picks it out on her own, she'll be more likely to use it more often and have a sense of pride about it.

Bowdier

Bearcat
Thanks John...yeah I used to shoot and carry my granfather''s Sportsman..after his death my grandmother gave it to an Uncle..I agree they are fun to shoot.
bowdier

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
What he wrote...

contender said:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I am not usually happy when other folks try to buy me golf clubs, shoes, or handguns. I am delighted and grateful that someone cared. I think they wanted to surprise me. However, there are some things in life that need to fit and have mojo for you.

She sounds like she is familiar with different weapons now. If not, head to the rental !!!

I'm joining the Contender bandwagon, let her choose. Show her you respect her decisions and choices. Girls like that.

You are a lucky man.