Model SP 101 Cylinder Problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

.22MRF

Bearcat
Have the issues with the cylinders of the M-SP 101 been resolved, most of the posts were several years old and I am not able to determine from the older posts if the problem is solved?

NikA

Buckeye
I think you're referring to the cylinder problems with the .327 SP-101? If so, I haven't seen any problems reported for the new 4.2" guns but I don't know the "safe" range for the 3" guns.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum.
There were some issues with cylinders binding on the .357 SP101's about 9+ months ago. The barrel cylinder gap was a hair too tight. As far as I know that issue was quickly resolved and is no longer a problem. The SP101's I've seen lately have really tight lock up, spot on timing, proper b/c gap, and barrels that are true to the frame (canting was an issue a year or so back too). Your biggest problems will be A) Deciding which version to buy and B) Saving up for the next one you'll want.

Best Regards,
ADP3

.22MRF

Bearcat
Sorry for not being clear about the cylinder problem. My question stemmed from the apparent oversize bores that were showing up causing swelled cases. I sure do appreciate the replies and the warm welcome.
I am hoping to become more familiar with Ruger firearms although I'm already an old man, have been using the S&W brand most of my adult life. Since I haven't been able to afford their long discontinued revolvers produced for the .327 Federal Magnum I turned to the only remaining quality manufacturer who is still offering revolvers chambered for the round.

BIGBISLEY

Bearcat
I haven't read about any issues with the 4.2 inch adjustable models which is the only one currently being manufactured. The original 3 inch models are very desirable but be cautious about paying collector prices for this model because Ruger is no longer replacing the bad cylinders in the 3 inch guns. Someone may have a different experience but I would never buy another of the original models without being able to test fire and examine the brass. Anyone shopping for the old 3 inch model be warned if you send it in for cylinder repair they will offer you the current 4.2 inch as a replacement they don't care how much you paid for your 3 inch.

Latest posts