The Single Seven's Future

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clark

Bearcat
I have not really followed the Single Seven that much but in the past couple weeks the idea of the 327 in a revolver has started to appeal to me. So now I find myself following it.

From what I gather, Lipseys and Ruger introduced the gun in the Fall of '14....almost 2.5 years ago. It was supposed to be a limited production, distributor exclusive gun. And then they ordered another round of 'em. Now (maybe for a while?), Ruger has it listed on it's website in a manner that no other distributor exclusive is listed, with it's own heading from the drop-down menu.

There is no shortage of them on gunbroker, various online retailers, etc. Is this gun going to be a part of the regular stable for Ruger? Did they overproduce and now letting the market buy them up until inventory is depleted?

Clark

I don't know about production numbers or sales, but I hope it sticks around. I really enjoy the 327 caliber. I know many people here do also, yes???

Is it on a separate web page because it's not a single six, single nine or single ten? Just a guess though.

I don't have a single sever, every time I have enough money saved up for a gun something else comes along.

Hmmm...maybe the next gun. But then it gets tricky, which barrel length?

32magfan

Blackhawk
The Single Seven is a unique critter to be sure. I bought all three barrel lengths when they came out but I have only shot the 5.5". The extra round makes the platform a unique packing pistol. The 327 round is what the 32 H&R should have been in 1984. It is certainly not a "pipsqueak" round.

Take the plunge. The guns can be found for about $500-550 most places.

Be careful not to catch the "32 fever". I caught it in 1985 with a Single Six in 32 H&R Mag. I have been accumulating and handloading for them ever since. Seriously, they are addictive.

Thanks,

32Magfan

trapperon

Blackhawk
327 is a great round. Accurate and has some serious small bore punch. I have a 7.5 inch single seven and love it. To be honest, personally I would have preferred they stuck with a six shooter, but that caliber on the single six frame is a perfect combo.

Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,,, I think it was internet gossip that made everybody THINK these were to be limited production guns. When they were introduced,, I was talking with Jason at Lipsey's,,, and he said; "We can always order more." BUT,,,,,,,, understand,,, that there can & usually is a time lapse between Lipsey's ordering something & Ruger re-tooling up to run that model.

Clark

Bearcat
contender - I think you are right about the "limited production" aspect of the Single Seven. I looked through the original reports from 2.5 years ago and they don't quote Ruger or Lipsey's saying it was a limited run. Obviously they ordered a limited number to begin with but there isn't any indication that they wouldn't put in more orders.

Maybe it's like the #1: it will still be made, distributed by Lipsey's but don't hold your breath waiting for the next batch.

Clark

contender

Ruger Guru
Lipsey's commits to a specific number of guns to purchase from Ruger. If sales are good,,, and they see the potential to sell more,,, then they can order more. That way,,, many of us get a gun we want,,, and they can gauge the market by how the public reacts. If many more orders & demands cause enough interest,,, then more will ordered,,, and Lipsey's has to wait until Ruger can re-tool & build them. Then we get the next batch.

glenncal1

Bearcat
I have the 7.5" Single Seven (and a SP101 and a GP100 .327s) that really uses the .327 well. Accurate and flat shooting. I had a Blackhawk in .327 but it was too heavy IMHO so I sold it and bought the Single 7. Heck of a gun for the money again IMHO.

Eliminator

Bearcat
It's been stated the Single Seven, or more accurately, the Single Six, is the perfect platform in terms of size for the .327 Federal Magnum. I do agree it's a fantastic match but, in my thinking, it is the versatility of the cartridge itself that "makes" the Single Seven. A revolver so chambered can fire .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and of course .327 Federal. I've heard .32 ACP can be used "in a pinch," whatever that means, but I've not tried it. If you are a hand loader, the versatility envelope expands even further. Even though the previously mentioned cartridges can be fired, I never use them. I simply adjust the .327 loads according to what's needed. A 78gr LRN over a bit of Trail Boss powder makes for a fun and enjoyable day at the range for all shooters. A healthy charge of H110 or 2400 behind a 100gr or 115gr JHP makes for a very potent round for whatever one may encounter. I know of some who are using heavy 135gr hard cast to good effect.
Since the Single Seven was introduced I have shot more .327 than any other caliber I own except for possibly 9mm. Prior to that it was .44 Special. To say that the .327 has become my favorite cartridge would be big understatement. I currently own three firearms chambered in .327 - a Single Seven, an SP101 that is wonderfully accurate, and a Clements Single Six conversion. I have a S&W 16-4 that may get converted as well. When Henry starts delivering the Big Boy in .327 I want to get one of those. Well maybe two since I can't decide on barrel length. Next on the list is a Freedom Arms 97.
As to the Single Seven's future, I don't know. It is a wonderful combination of firearm and caliber. When considering it's future it's hard not to consider the future of the .327 Federal. For me it's bright.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
32magfan said:
The 327 round is what the 32 H&R should have been in 1984. It is certainly not a "pipsqueak" round.
Remember the "H&R" in .32 H&R meant Harrington and Richardson and their revolvers weren't nearly strong enough to tolerate true magnum pressures so the cartridge had to be toned down. I always thought it should have been called the .32 Special. In strong guns it could be loaded quite hot but not for the original ones. The .327 was only chambered in stronger guns so it was able to maximize the cartridges effectiveness.