Fiber optic type sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brucear777

Bearcat
What do you think of them on revolvers are they robust enough to slide in and out of the holster many times a day. Or are they prone to breaking man accidentally banging your gun on a tree or laying it down rocks. Our everyday use with horseback riding hike four wheeler riding in hunting. So what do you all think about these sites in these different type of conditions stop and think about things do happen when you're out in the woods so you may set your gun on a rock and slide bang up against another rock getting knocked around on the four wheeler or accidentally dropped this is true life scenario.
So again are these good sights or stay with Factory sights

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Most are enclosed enough to protect them well.i know it's apple to oranges but I have been using fiber optics on my bows for many many years and have only broken the fibers a few times. The one I installed on my lcr a few years ago is holding up fine.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
They are not as rugged as most factory iron, but not much is. I think you should consider whether fiber will improve your accuracy enough to be worth the risk. If you are hitting what you aim at with your factory sights, why change them?

I have two, both factory, one on my SP101 in .22lr and one on my GP100 Match Champion. Both get carried in the woods but don't get handled near as roughly as a gun used on a ranch for work. I do shoot lots of full load .357's out of the MC with no ill affects other than I like the fiber optics so much I now want them on all of my guns.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have them on my S&W 686 (from SDM Fabricating) and on my GP-100 (from ShopRuger) and I find them a huge improvement over the plain black blades or ramps that came OEM on these guns. They are a bit more fragile than plain blades but the optic rod is easily replaceable and, if broken in the field, you still have a blade front sight although with a hole in it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The green fiber optic sights don't work for me at all. It's like looking into oncoming headlights at night. Small diameter red fiber optic sights work great. The one on my Springfield arms RangeOfficer is great but it is small diameter.

dpayne

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
I have them on my S&W 686 (from SDM Fabricating) and on my GP-100 (from ShopRuger) and I find them a huge improvement over the plain black blades or ramps that came OEM on these guns. They are a bit more fragile than plain blades but the optic rod is easily replaceable and, if broken in the field, you still have a blade front sight although with a hole in it.
Totally agree. I couldn't see anything well with a dark background with my 4" GP-100. Replaced the front sight with a fiber optic and would never go back as its one of my most accurate guns now. I too was worried at first and checked for clearance in my Simply Rugged holster and it was fine. You're probably not going to lay the gun down on its top and I think they are a little tougher than they appear.

kestump

Bearcat
I have them on a couple revolvers and a couple Marlins that are used in the woods regularly, trapping, and shed hunting. One of them is with me pretty much anytime I am outside. I've only broken one, and it was on a Marlin and easily replaced. I am a big fan.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I put FO frontsights on my Redhawk and SR1911. I like the green. With those sights, for me, the sight picture really "pops". Fast and clear.

Bayou52