44 special Speed Six...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Many have said this could not be done, but obviously it has. If I had the money... Anyway this is pretty cool: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626624677

Anyone have any additional history or information about these special run of revolvers? TD

DGW1949

Hunter
I remember a couple of outfits doing .44 Spl conversions on Ruger's S-S platform about 30-35 years ago, and yeah, ASP was one of them. I also remember that they were rather pricey, even for back then...but hey, it takes a lot of skill and a bunch of time to make something like that.

My problem with the concept was not so much paying the price, it was more a case of what's a 5-shot "SAMMI-Spec Only" .44 Spl going to do that my 6-shot .38/.357 S-S can't already do?...the answer to which came out to be, actually nothing.

But that's just me, sometimes I'm just too dern practical. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

Yeah . . . after getting over the WHAT A COOL RUGER reaction, I sorta came up with the fact that my Taurus Model 431 is essentially the same package, less the "DA only" provision.

I mean, I'd accept this as a gift, but . . .

:shock: :? :shock:

Ale, I agree, the Taurus 431 is a sweet gun, and a whole lot easier to come by for a good price. ASP was one of the first ones to do special guns for officers. They did a lot of S&W's as well. They were pretty creative on some of the stuff they came up with. I like that Speed Six, but to be at the price it is with 5 days left, who knows what it will go up to.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Being a lover of Rugers, I thought this was a very interesting project given the rave reviews of the 44 Special GP100. Actually, what I was hoping for with my post was a history lesson for those who have been around Ruger far longer than I. if I wanted a 44 special in a compact size, I would probably go and replace my Charter Arms Bulldog which I really liked, but sold when money got tight. TD

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I saw a revolver very similar to this one on GB about 2 years ago. I don't recall if it was an "ASP" conversion or not. I will say it seemed to be better done than this one. It had nicer grips, and a regular single/double action. On this one, the lettering on the side of the barrel seems a bit half-assed, if you'll pardon my vernacular. Of course, the other gun was offered for $2,500....

k2nd

Single-Sixer
Back in 1980's I was at a gun show in Birmingham AL and I found and handled a six series converted to 44 special by Hamilton Bowen. It was light and handy but the cylinder and barrel walls were on the slim side after the rebore. Reminded me of a buddy's Charter Arms Bulldog. The asking price was $700 and at that time was out of my reach, but I still think about it once in a while even though I have 3 44 specials.
k2nd

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I remember the ASP articles that appeared on those in old gun magazines. Even the new GP 100s have a pretty thin forcing cone area. Nice guns both though.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
If I remember correctly a NJ gunsmith named Austin Behlert did the original Speed Six conversions to .44 Special in the late 70's. He also did chopped Browning Hi Powers. Once upon a time he also made an improved rear sight for S&W's, sort of a predecessor to the Bowen sight. ASP took up where Behlert left off on the Speed Six conversions. They also did chopped S&W 39's and 59's, some with a "Guttersnipe" sight set up. CIA spooks seemed to be the biggest customers for the chopped S&W autos back in the day.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
Must have been dropped. The hammer spur is broken off. I wander what other hidden damage there might be ?

The hammer spur does not appear to be "broken off", but rather machined. It's probably how it came after the conversion.

Here's an old thread from this forum.....
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106046