Super Redhawk Toklat.....Reports?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
I have been intrigued by this revolver for some time now. My only beef is the slab sided barrel as I think a round barrel would have been much more attractive. Just wondering how current owners like theirs? Dont seem to hear alot about them.

Ron

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I have the Toklat. I like the gun, but like you, I am not crazy about the slab sided barrel. I too think it would look much nicer with a round or even fluted barrel but can't justify the cost of a barrel change as it just isn't shot/carried that much. Have not shot it much, out of the box it shot VERY low at 25 yds. using Hornady 240 gr XTP. Adjusted the rear sight but still don't have it shooting where I want it. I actually bought it with the idea of selling it to someone in Alaska for a bear backup piece but after shooting it I think I'll keep . Sure don't need a .454 Casull in Kansas but I have a lot of things I don't "need". I picked up box of 325 gr hard cast and need to get it sighted in with that load, I want that to be my regular load for this gun.

You mean like my 44 mag...
29fyvti.jpg

Or my ex 480...

mw8s4l.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Personally, I think the Toklat is the best configuration they've offered for the Super Redhawk. I wish it was a standard catalog model in every available chambering.

Mus408

Hunter
Never cared for the look or style of it as it looks like they took the short barrel Alaskan and stuck a piece of pipe in it to lengthen the barrel.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Probably have to give it a go......been pondering too long on it! I do like the 5 inch bbl length. Unfluted cylinder and caliber. Also appreciate the bull stout SRH engineering. Has anyone tried the gold bead sight set that comes with it? Im thinking that would be the set up I would go with. My dealer has a new one for 850....so better go see him, eh?

Ron

whichwatch

Blackhawk
trapperon said:
Probably have to give it a go......been pondering too long on it! I do like the 5 inch bbl length. Unfluted cylinder and caliber. Also appreciate the bull stout SRH engineering. Has anyone tried the gold bead sight set that comes with it? Im thinking that would be the set up I would go with. My dealer has a new one for 850....so better go see him, eh?

Ron

Mine came with the red ramp front sight, absolute worst sight I have ever seen. I called Ruger and they sent me the gold bead sight, it was really no better, for me anyway. One more call to Ruger and I got the green fiber optic front sight, what a difference, that sight will stay on my Toklat forever. The 5" barrel balances well and recoil is manageable, for a .454 Casull anyway. $850 is a good price for one, mine was a bit more.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I have thought about selling off a few things to get one, but I read some bad reviews (quite a lot of them actually), concerning inaccuracy over oversized throats...... So I gave up on putting anything into the plan.....
I'd still like to know what people here think....

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
reuben_j_cogburn said:
I have thought about selling off a few things to get one, but I read some bad reviews (quite a lot of them actually), concerning inaccuracy over oversized throats...... So I gave up on putting anything into the plan.....
I'd still like to know what people here think....

Mine is a sweet shooter and super accurate. :D

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I like my Toklat. I prefer express sights on big bore guns and was glad the Toklat came with both. The throats on my gun are .453, measured with pin gauges, and the bore is .4525. I haven't shot it on paper but at 25yds, can hit the 8" gong on my back yard range with boring regularity.
With the supplied grips, it's a very comfortable gun to shoot, even in extended sessions.
It's not a handsome gun but it's a SRH and there's not much you can do to make it look any better.
If it was offered in .480, I'd buy one.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
whichwatch said:
I have the Toklat. I like the gun, but like you, I am not crazy about the slab sided barrel. I too think it would look much nicer with a round or even fluted barrel but can't justify the cost of a barrel change as it just isn't shot/carried that much. Have not shot it much, out of the box it shot VERY low at 25 yds. using Hornady 240 gr XTP. Adjusted the rear sight but still don't have it shooting where I want it. I actually bought it with the idea of selling it to someone in Alaska for a bear backup piece but after shooting it I think I'll keep . Sure don't need a .454 Casull in Kansas but I have a lot of things I don't "need". I picked up box of 325 gr hard cast and need to get it sighted in with that load, I want that to be my regular load for this gun.

I agree my rear sight is about 1/8" above the frame, why doesn't Ruger produce different sight blade heights like S&W used to? I guess they haven't profected sight regulations yet. I contacted JacK Huntington about shortening the barrel on my .480 but, he said I definitely need a taller front sight? I wish they'd do the Toklat in .480 Ruger(hint,hint,hint?).

Rumrunner, who did the work on your guns?
Steve

I love mine - I have both a 7.5" and the Toklat. One thing I noticed is that the Toklat shoots 3" lower than my 7.5" SRH with the same load (250 grain XTP & 32 grains of Lil'gun, Starline case Federal Small rifle primer). I really had to elevate the rear sight on the Toklat to get it close at 25 yards. The 350 Grain cast lead bullet loads seem to be better though, but not as accurate as the 250 grain XTP.

Latest posts