41 Mag flat top?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
For those that were lucky enough to grab them while they were around.....were they made in similar fashion to other limited production specials, with the warning label on the bottom of the barrel and steel ejector housings? Anything else that would set them apart from a regular production model, like a steel grip frame? I was looking over a couple of the 41's I have on hand and always felt a FT with the short barrel, would fit in nicely with the others models I have - Thanks for your time - Bill in MA

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Which ones? There's the the 4 5/8" models and I believe the other was the 7 1/2" model. (Brain fade). I know the later is here tucked up on the shelf. Are they even going for any decent prices now?

msp2640

Single-Sixer
No idea on current prices, I recall when they were originally available, it was bad financial timing on my end. I just picked up a 2nd handgun this year, so now is not a great time either, so I haven't made much of an effort of looking for one. I am interested in the way there were finished though, if you havery a chance to examine yours, Greatly appreciate it! Thanks again Bill

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
They were available in 4 5/8" and 6 1/2", had XR3 Steel grip frames, steel ERH's and the barrel marking is on the bottom on mine. There is quite a bit more information in a sticky located in the "Ruger and other firearm collecting" area of this forum.

Contrary to what many seem to think these guns were on the full size frame and not the medium frame like several other FT's.

My 6.5" is very well fitted, finished, and shoots extremely well. Its as good as any 41 mag I've owned, and that has been several.

Dan

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Dan - Thanks, that's the info I'm looking for! I guess I didn't think to look closer at the sticky section. I was not aware that they were on the large frame. I'm thinking that the short version, would be a nice addition the the OM longer barrel I was just shooting the other day. Appreciate the help! Bill in MA

CraigC

Hawkeye
The 6.5's were made exactly like the 50th Anniversary .44 Blackhawks. Large frame, all steel, XR3 grip and Micro rear sight. The 4 5/8" differed only in barrel length.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Thanks again for the additional info....not seeking a rare model by any means, as I'd really like to shoot it. I actually have 2 of the 44 Anniversary models and the 357 model as well (all of which were found on this forum), seems like there was a bit more attention to detail when those models were produced, than the standard production models. I realistically need to wait at least a month or two, find some fun money and most importantly, find a current owner whose willing to part with one of 301 made in the version that I'm looking for!!! (Thanks again Dan, as I just read the sticky post on those) Appreciate the new found knowledge! Bill in MA

chet15

Hawkeye
T.A. WORKMAN said:
The 6 1/2" revolvers with the correct prefix of, #48-xxxxx are the rarest with only 60 produced.
Terry

Nope...there's one that's rarer...the 4-5/8" with an 87- prefix. There's only 5 of those.
Chet15

rangerbob

Buckeye
My 6.5" Flat Top 41 Magnum has the 87 prefix and was acquired from Williams Shooters Supply. Bob!! :D

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
chet15 said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
The 6 1/2" revolvers with the correct prefix of, #48-xxxxx are the rarest with only 60 produced.
Terry

Nope...there's one that's rarer...the 4-5/8" with an 87- prefix. There's only 5 of those.
Chet15

Your Right!,,, :oops: :oops: :oops: and they are consecutively numbered and ALL are in private collections,, :wink:

Terry

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you can't find one or one at an affordable price, you can also make a standard black hawk a flat top. The add the steel housing and grip frame of your choice in steel; XR3 or XR3-RED.

DSCN1007.jpg

Photo by Aggie01

chet15

Hawkeye
mhblaw said:
Why is "48" the "correct prefix" when most have the "87" prefix?

When the first .41 flattops were made, Ruger made the mistake of giving it an 87- prefix...the same prefix that the Super Blackhawk was numbered within. The problem is, even though the .41 flattop is on the larger sized cylinder frame, the guns are marked ".41 Blackhawk", they have a fluted cylinder, normal hammer and XR3 grip frame....parts that are completely different than what are on the Super Blackhawk.
only five 4-5/8" .41's were made ( and most of the 6-1/2" .41FT's) before Ruger decided they better change the model number...and with that also came the change in serial number sequence to 48-.
Chet15

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
When I bought mine I had a choice between the 87 and 48 prefix. I guessed that the 87's since they were errors would end up being the more rare of the two so that's what I chose. That's why no one asks me for stock tips either!

Dan