Vaquero CCH frame advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
I just scored a 9-10 year old New Vaquero, 7 1/2 blued .45 LC with the faux color case hardened frame. Dealer says it is mint. I seem to recall that one had to choose wisely as to what you cleaned the gun with, because of the frame.
So, what is recommended, and what is to be avoided at all costs?

trapperon

Blackhawk
Great revolver! I have that identical model and use break free clp for cleaning and wiping down. Have never had an issue with the case colors fading or rusting. Those 7.5 inchers are getting tough to come across.

Ron

black029

Single-Sixer
trapperon said:
Great revolver! I have that identical model and use break free clp for cleaning and wiping down. Have never had an issue with the case colors fading or rusting. Those 7.5 inchers are getting tough to come across.

Ron

Thanks Ron. CLP it will be. I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning, but I don't think I'll ever buy any more that stuff again. There's too many weird finishes or coatings on all makes of firearms to risk it. I seem to remember it had caused problems in the past. Not to get sidetracked on Hoppes.......
A dealer 50 miles from away posts pictures of the new and used guns he gets in some days. I could barely hit the number icons on my cell phone quick enough to secure that one.

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
I have several. Light coating of plain gun oil like Hoppes. Do not scrub the finish.

For a very reasonable price send it to Tyler Gun Works for real case coloring and have him do an action job, set timing, etc. I was very pleased with the product and would do it again.

black029

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
I use Hoppee's on mine no problems. Have both vaquero models with faux case color.ps

Maybe it was S&W that had issues with some of their new finishes. Or I'm just full of poop.

Mus408

Hunter
Ballistol for me...does it all and no issue ruining wood or metal finish or hands!

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
The issues I recall reading about on the Ruger faux case color were that the gun oxidized/rusted through the finish. I don't recall reading about issues of the color fading or coming off. The oxidizing/rusting was thought to be poor surface preparation, but search the postings for info. If the finish were a clearcoat based product, then using any product with solvents may dissolve or deteriorate it? I had several single six-vaqueros and full size vaqueros, no issues with any of them. I just liked Tyler's product better - the colors were a dramatic difference.

black029

Single-Sixer
Bottom, thank Heaven.
I was thinking of ordering a new main spring. I know these were made somewhat light so that SASS shooters could go fast and easiy, but this one seems like it's just a little weaker than the norm.

Dos Vaqueros

Single-Sixer
Unless you are having light primer hits with no ignition leave the spring alone. The New Vaquero came with 17lb hammer spring. A lot lighter than the 24lb original large frame Vaquero.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Mus408 said:
Ballistol for me...does it all and no issue ruining wood or metal finish or hands!
Plus leather! This was invented by Germans. 1890's? I just cleaned my cc Vaquero , after firing 7.8 grs of Unique. Very accurate.

Coop

Blackhawk
Our 4 faux-CCH .357 Mag Vaqueros have been in constant use for over 240 SASS - CAS shooting matches since 1997, and all have had at least 10,000 cartridges fired thru them during these matches. All have been cleaned with either Hoppes No. 9, or with Ballistol, or with "Moose Piss" (when shooting BP cartridges) (1/3 90% iso-propyl alcohol, 1/3 3% H2O2, 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap) with no effect on the faux-CCH finish on any of them.

Here are two of them - current pictures:

black029 said:
powder smoke said:
I use Hoppee's on mine no problems. Have both vaquero models with faux case color.ps

Maybe it was S&W that had issues with some of their new finishes. Or I'm just full of poop.

Yep it was S&W. They advise against using anything "ammoniated" on any of their guns. I think that's the word they used.