Ruger redhawk 45 colt question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJK

Single-Sixer
Hi guys. Curious as to what level of power can a new redhawk handle in 45 colt? Just the standard "heavy loaded" 45 colt loads that one would load in the single actions or could it handle a more stout loading? Something possibly approaching 5 shot 45 colt loads? Maybe into the 40k cup range? Have never really messed around with one of these so was just curious if anyone has a good answer. Thanks

pruger45

Blackhawk
I shoot Ruger only loads in mine with no trouble whatsoever! I used to live in NE PA also. I miss those mountains here in South Texas! I used to live in the Shamokin/Mount Caramel area.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Order yourself a back issue of Handloader #292 October 2014 and read the article by Brian Pearce.

It will answer all your questions.

RJK

Single-Sixer
Nice Pruger. Im in the central part of the state if you're familiar with the area. Love the mountains here. Own some nice property and the hunting and fishing is wonderful as are the views.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I used the Ruger and contender loads in the loading ,manuals. You can get some good performance below 40K pressure. Check your chamber mouths, the two Redhawks I had were .449 on both of them. Never shot good till I had them opened out to .452.

Thel

Blackhawk
Handloader magazine a couple of years back had an article by Brian Pierce on loading for the Redhawk and they can take quite stout loads. Here is a link to a discussion:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-556305.html

The cylinder is larger in diameter than a Blackhawk. In the past some individuals have fit a cylinder out of a Super Redhawk .454 to them and used them as .454's. The cylinder is made of a different, stronger alloy.

NikA

Buckeye
Cylinder is larger, chamber walls and locking notches are the same thickness. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Redhawk only loads are the product of people not measuring the critical dimensions relevant to the true strength of the platform. From an engineering perspective, the Redhawk cylinder is not stronger than the Blackhawk and should not be treated as such.