info needed on Ruger Blackhawk45 ACP / 45 Long Colt converti

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Sorry, my phone messed this post up so much It seemed to double everything I said so I just deleted it Period just wondering when Ruger will start making their 45 ACP 45 Long Colt convertibles in a four and five eighths inch barrel again in Waiting since January. My dear tells me he can get them Blue 600 Stainless steel 700 when he can get them That is He said they should start making them soon but that was three months ago.Really just a 45 ACP which device in reality I was just trying to think of resale down the road if I wanted to sell it As for the convertible adding a little bit more money I have a 44 magnum that I love So that would have me covered on the top end. Thank you. Again sorry if this phone messes this up so bad you guys can't even read itGeorge

Full-size or Flattop? Blued or stainless?

Here's the full size in blue, shown in-stock.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70175/Ruger+0446+Blackhawk+Convertible+6RD+45LC45ACP+4.62%22

My understanding is that Lipseys is bringing out the Flattop convertible in both 5-1/2" and 4-5/8" in the next 30 to 90 days. If you want one I wouldn't hesitate, as usual this will be a limited run but the big deal is that they will be in stainless (my personal favorite) and I think there will be a run on them.

Lipseys is a particularly astute distributor as they bring the guns out in limited runs. What they do over time is educate people that they will not be available very long and people jump quicker and quicker. The good thing for them is their money is tied up for shorter times and they continue to educate people to do what they want...go out and buy these guns.

George

Blackhawk
As I understand they only come as Black Hawks But ya I would take one in SBH if they made it. Looking for a 4 5/8" barrel blue or stainless not sure yet. I have a few Rugers In SS in stainless and I like them but don't have any in blue. I could live with a .45apc only but think a convertible .45acp/.45LC would be wise choice for resale if I ever intended to sell it plus IMO it one of the most versatile calibers in a hand gun I can think of . I have two somewhat local dealers telling me they will call me when they can get them but been waiting 3 months now Not sure I can be 100% sure I will get a call before Ruge, Lipseys or Davidson's sells out before I get my call. I do have a shorty SBH 3 3/4" barrel in .44mag and love it.. I'm a 1911 fan and would love to have that cal. in a SA shooter as it makes it much easer to collect the brass for reloading. My choice of barrel length is from a Single Six convertible I have in SS with a 4 4/5" barrel. I think that it the right size for me do to balance feel and look. Thanks George

George said:
As I understand they only come as Black Hawks But ya I would take one in SBH if they made it. Looking for a 4 5/8" barrel blue or stainless not sure yet. I have a few Rugers In SS in stainless and I like them but don't have any in blue. I could live with a .45apc only but think a convertible .45acp/.45LC would be wise choice for resale if I ever intended to sell it plus IMO it one of the most versatile calibers in a hand gun I can think of . I have two somewhat local dealers telling me they will call me when they can get them but been waiting 3 months now Not sure I can be 100% sure I will get a call before Ruge, Lipseys or Davidson's sells out before I get my call. I do have a shorty SBH 3 3/4" barrel in .44mag and love it.. I'm a 1911 fan and would love to have that cal. in a SA shooter as it makes it much easer to collect the brass for reloading. My choice of barrel length is from a Single Six convertible I have in SS with a 4 4/5" barrel. I think that it the right size for me do to balance feel and look. Thanks George

We didn't say SBH. Not even part of this discussion til you brought it up.

We said full-size Blackhawk or Flattop Blackhawk? They make both in the 45 convertible.

Did you look at the link I provided for a full-size Blackhawk?

George

Blackhawk
WAYNO,
I like the look of the Blackhawk from your link. I take it it's a large frame gun? Is the Flattop Blackhawk a mid size frame gun? Do they both hold 6 rounds? Please explain the difference between the two.
other then how the top of the frame looks and is a little more meatier.. I'm somewhat new to Ruger single action guns.. Been into Hand guns mostly for over 40 years just to you a little more on me.. Had a single six convertible 22lr/22 mag. back in the early 1980's then sold it a few years later.. kicked myself ever since.. Been getting back into Ruger SA guns first new one was a few years back a .44 mag shorty Lipsey gun and also a Single Six Convertible with a 4 5/8s" barrel also a Lipsey. Please educate me! Thank You! George

George said:
WAYNO,
I like the look of the Blackhawk from your link. I take it it's a large frame gun? Is the Flattop Blackhawk a mid size frame gun? Do they both hold 6 rounds? Please explain the difference between the two.
George

Okay. Good questions. Blackhawk/Large Frame and Flattop/Medium Frame, although not how we describe them, for simplicity would roughly describe the differences. They are both 6-shooters. The differences in frame size is more easily felt in your hand than visualized or measured.

Originally, when the Blackhawk was released, it became known as a Flattop. Some years later, it was "improved", with what was described as a protected rear sight, and larger grip frame. The frame itself is slightly larger also. This Blackhawk size, what I roughly referred to above as a full-size Blackhawk, remains til today. But at the 50th Anniversary of the Blackhawk, Ruger released a model commemorating the original Flattop, and with the dimensions of the original Flattop. Many of us prefer this revolver size, and since then, Ruger has released many models of this "New Model" Flattop, including the 45 convertible. So, right now, you can buy a Blackhawk convertible, or when a distributor commissions a special run of Flattops, you can buy the Blackhawk Flattop convertible. This explanation is greatly simplified, without years and dates involved, and without the discussions of the Old Model to New Model safety mods, but stand by, and I will post some photos showing the differences. And since you also mentioned SBH (Super Blackhawk), that is a .44 or larger magnum revolver, and not part of this 45 convertible discussion.

Here's two photos of the Blackhawk Flattop vs Blackhawk...It's easy to see why one is a Flattop and one is not.

The bigger difference to me, is in frame geometry and frame size. The Flattop is the smaller of the two. Here's two different examples of a larger XR3-Red gripframe next to the smaller XR3 gripframe as found on the Flattop.

Flattop on the right.

Flattop on the left.

Back to your original question...Availability.

If you like the full size Blackhawk, then Bud's has them..If you prefer the smaller Flattop, looks like you've gotta wait for the next run. To me, it's a worthwhile wait.

WAYNO.

choirboy

Bearcat
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the blue large frame version (as shown in the Buds ad) is the only model that has an aluminum grip frame and is therefore lighter than the others.

George

Blackhawk
Thank you for posting all the great pictures and information wayno.I like the looks of the Blackhawk Better I think then the flat top Blackhawk Period but sure would like to have one of each in my hand Looking at your pictures to see how they felt. Sorry posting on this phone again It screws up more And any other device I've ever had When posting on the boards. Going to post another note when I get on my home computer. Was just trying to do a good thing for a local dealer to buy through him as I hate to FFL one through him after asking him if he could get me one. George

G. Freeman

Bearcat
George, Ruger also makes as stainless bisley convertible in 45 LC/acp. I have one and have enjoyed it tremendously.

https://themarksman.store/products/ruger-convertible-bisley-blackhawk-45-colt-45-acp

Here is one. I am not affiliated with this store. Just wanted to pass the info.

Oops...sorry. It was still available last week but I guess just sold.

George

Blackhawk
Wayno,My deal has a lipsey special Convertible Ruger Blackhawk It is a flat top with a four and five eighths inch barrel in stainless steel with pearl grips. The only gun I have in my house to compare to it is a new model Single six With a four and five eight inch barrel it is a 22 long rifle / 22 magnum convertible. How do you think the grip frame on my single six Will feel in comparison The Blackhawk flattop 45 that I'm looking at. Also the out the door price On The new flat top that I talked of Is 700 even. Asking price 719 .
gun is brand new. Sorry on my phone again and I know this post is going to be horrible It's my only choice At the moment use to post it. Again what do you think the grip frame will feel like in the comparison between the new Blackhawk flattop 45 ACP / 45 Long Colt Convertible for 5/8 inch barrel To the gun I have on hands Single six 22 / 22 magnum Convertible for a 5/8 inch barrel Standard grip frame Period I'm about two and a half hours from my dealer So I can't just run up there and check it out for myself Period in the middle of a blazing snow storm right now With about 15 inches on the ground and still falling. But if it's something I really want I could buy it over the phone. Your thoughts please. Thank you so much for all your help your photos and your time With this matter! George

Remember, the grip frame size on the full sized New Model Blackhawk and the New Model Single Six are the same. So, the grip frame on the Flattop feels smaller on the Flattop than the Single Six. That doesn't mean either is better than the other, but for me, the Flattop grip frame is definitely my preference.

I'll post another photo, comparing the Single Six on the left side, the Flattop in the middle, and a full size Blackhawk on the right. The visual difference, although visible, is not as drastic as the felt difference. The smaller grip on the Flattop just plain fits me the best.

Now, to accentuate the differences further, here's another photo... A different Flattop (center) wearing the original grips, which are thinner than on the above photo.

Don't let me talk you into anything. You've gotta decide your own preferences. :mrgreen:

George

Blackhawk
Wayno, Once again Thank you! I'm going to pull out my NM single six I got last year and I may even bring it up to the gun shop with me. I don't know.. I like the looks of the Blackhawk as far as the rear sight goes better just because I think I'm gust use to it as I never had a flat top... It may grow on me. My had size is large. Not a XXX large but large enough that I could not squeeze my hand into a medium. this will give you a better idea of my hand size. Also I am not recoil sensitive at all.. I'll send yo a url of the gun he has.... http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKNVB-44X
What do you think of the price $700 or $719 out the door. No tax in my state.. Also let me ask how hot can I load the .45LC charge if I decide to use .45LC? Can it be loaded as hot as one can load a Super Blackhawk? I would be using it for target shooting most of the time but may have it on my side for protection in the woods for black bear. But then again I have a NM SBH with a 3 3/4" barrel in .44 magnum that makes a nice woods gun for protection.. I guess I'm asking you to help me decide on the gun.. My idea for .45ACP S/A gun is before I got into Ruger single action guns I was a long time 1911 guy and I started reloading.. Me at age 60 in July I was thinking it would be so nice to pocket the brass and not have to hunt for it as I do now after a days shooting.. Feel free to ask me anything that may help you help me decide. Again thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me with this.. George

I bought my new Blackhawk convertible (Blue, 4 5/8", not a flat top) from Bud's back in 2014 and have been pretty happy with it.
The Ruger throat-lottery came up a bit on the small side with both cylinders, but a .4525" reamer from Brownells took care of that.
I am still experimenting with 45ACP loads with it. 45 Colt loads I use in my 7 1/2" Blackhawk are also quite accurate in it. Last year I was plinking at shotgun clays on a 50 yard berm - good times!

Sugar River

Buckeye
The gun in the link you posted is built on the mid size cylinder frame. Brian Pearce and others have opined that these are safe with tier 2 level loads, approx. 23,000 psi in either the Colt or ACP cylinder.
The large size Blackhawks are capable of handling tier 3 loads at roughly 30,000 psi. So, to answer your question, no, it cannot "be loaded as hot as one can load a Super Blackhawk".
However, I would not feel undergunned with the Flattop in Black Bear country.

George said:
Wayno, Once again Thank you! I'm going to pull out my NM single six I got last year and I may even bring it up to the gun shop with me. I don't know.. I like the looks of the Blackhawk as far as the rear sight goes better just because I think I'm gust use to it as I never had a flat top... It may grow on me. My had size is large. Not a XXX large but large enough that I could not squeeze my hand into a medium. this will give you a better idea of my hand size. Also I am not recoil sensitive at all.. I'll send yo a url of the gun he has.... http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKNVB-44X
What do you think of the price $700 or $719 out the door. No tax in my state.. Also let me ask how hot can I load the .45LC charge if I decide to use .45LC? Can it be loaded as hot as one can load a Super Blackhawk? I would be using it for target shooting most of the time but may have it on my side for protection in the woods for black bear. But then again I have a NM SBH with a 3 3/4" barrel in .44 magnum that makes a nice woods gun for protection.. I guess I'm asking you to help me decide on the gun.. My idea for .45ACP S/A gun is before I got into Ruger single action guns I was a long time 1911 guy and I started reloading.. Me at age 60 in July I was thinking it would be so nice to pocket the brass and not have to hunt for it as I do now after a days shooting.. Feel free to ask me anything that may help you help me decide. Again thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me with this.. George

I cannot decide for you the best choice. But I can suggest some things to think about.

Since you have large hands, the full-size Blackhawk might be the best choice. And the full-size Blackhawk will handle the high-potency Ruger-only loads.

The flattop model is a much more trim grip, which might be too small for you. You could buy after market over-size grips to make the grip fatter, or even a wrap around grip to stretch the distance from the rear of the grip to the trigger. And although the Flattop will not handle the extreme Ruger-only loads, it will still handle loads hotter than the old Colt loads. 20,000 PSI is the suggested maximum pressure for the Flattop, which is still substantially higher than factory loadings designed for the old Colt revolvers. Don't forget, the original .45 Colt loads are known horse killers, so they are no slouch.

So...You've got to handle both models. Then decide. From the information you've shared, I think you'd be happier with the full size Blackhawk.

WAYNO.

George

Blackhawk
Wayno, And everyone else interested. I finely got to the dealer that had the New Lipseys Blackhawk flat top in .45acp/.45LC simulated ivory grips in stainless with a 4 5/8's" barrel. Well My dealer handed it to me and as soon as I felt it and checked it out I knew it felt good darn good! even with my big hands.
I liked the weightless feel of this med. sized frame gun! Lock up was good, cylinder gap looked tight, almost zero shake, trigger felt crisp and clean.There was a little paint finish not quite right on the left side of the front sight and a slight rub mark on the left side of the hammer where it enters the frame..

Not a big deal I see the issue and can clean the frame so it won't Rub "interfere" with the hammer. Well it did follow me home! $700 out the door. I don't know if that is a good price or not as they list for $859 on the Lipseys web page. How did I do? I'm not going to be able to shoot it for a while so if anyone can tell me the preference of the .45 flat top's as far as .45acp or .45LC cartridges that would be great.. I know they are all going to be a little different but I picked this gun up for .45acp more then .45 colt as I have a short barreled .44 mag that would be my gap filler.

I reload .45acp and .44 magnum now and don't think I'll see a need for reloading .45 colt's at this point unless the gun shoot .45acp horribly. Only issue with the hole deal is that the gent that was helping the dealer checked the box to make sure everything was in it including the spent case envelop it was but when I got home it was not in the box.. I seen it myself so I know it was there in the store somehow it must have got out of the box.. I called the dealer but store left a massage as it was closed so I hope to get a call Tuesday when the store opens that they found it! If they can't how much will that hurt the resale value if I ever decide to sell it? Thank you all! and a BIG THANKS TO WAYNO!!! Taking the time to explain everything to me and posting all the great pictures! George
P.S. Happy Easter to all!!

George said:
Wayno, And everyone else interested. I finely got to the dealer that had the New Lipseys Blackhawk flat top in .45acp/.45LC simulated ivory grips in stainless with a 4 5/8's" barrel. Well My dealer handed it to me and as soon as I felt it and checked it out I knew it felt good darn good! even with my big hands.
I liked the weightless feel of this med. sized frame gun! Lock up was good, cylinder gap looked tight, almost zero shake, trigger felt crisp and clean.There was a little paint finish not quite right on the left side of the front sight and a slight rub mark on the left side of the hammer where it enters the frame..

Not a big deal I see the issue and can clean the frame so it won't Rub "interfere" with the hammer. Well it did follow me home! $700 out the door. I don't know if that is a good price or not as they list for $859 on the Lipseys web page. How did I do? I'm not going to be able to shoot it for a while so if anyone can tell me the preference of the .45 flat top's as far as .45acp or .45LC cartridges that would be great.. I know they are all going to be a little different but I picked this gun up for .45acp more then .45 colt as I have a short barreled .44 mag that would be my gap filler.

I reload .45acp and .44 magnum now and don't think I'll see a need for reloading .45 colt's at this point unless the gun shoot .45acp horribly. Only issue with the hole deal is that the gent that was helping the dealer checked the box to make sure everything was in it including the spent case envelop it was but when I got home it was not in the box.. I seen it myself so I know it was there in the store somehow it must have got out of the box.. I called the dealer but store left a massage as it was closed so I hope to get a call Tuesday when the store opens that they found it! If they can't how much will that hurt the resale value if I ever decide to sell it? Thank you all! and a BIG THANKS TO WAYNO!!! Taking the time to explain everything to me and posting all the great pictures! George
P.S. Happy Easter to all!!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you've found what pleases you. We continue to talk about hand sizes in relation to the two grip frame sizes. My fingers are not long, but they are very meaty. So much so that I have to curl my little finger below the grip. So, in spite of what might seem like a small grip to my meaty hands, I still absolutely prefer the smaller gripframe size.

The spent case envelope? I've not received one in new revolvers for quite some time, so I'm surprised that yours came with one, albeit misplaced.

Enjoy that great revolver!

If you ever find yourself out West, look us up.

And Happy Easter to You!

WAYNO.