Which LCR caliber did you choose and WHY?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which LCR Caliber do you prefer?

• LCRx 38+ with Hammer

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • 9mm

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • 22 Magnum

Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • SOMETHING ELSE

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 38 Special

Votes: 25 27.8%

• Total voters

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I look on these revolvers as concealed carry weapons. I want something with reasonable power but it must also be controllable. My favorites are the LCRx models and I have a .38 in both barrel lengths. I often carry the short barreled model. I like the ability to cock the hammer.

I also have a .38 LCR and a .22. Both of these have laser grips and I sometimes carry the .38.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a pair.
One,, we bought to help with our WOT clinics. The other one,,, I won at a ROCS event.
I like both. One is 38 Spl, & the other one is a 9mm.

I'm down to 3. I've got a 357mag, 38 special, and 22 LR. My wife has the 38 special. At times I carry the 357 mag but it has 38+P in it. I carry the Remington HTP (high terminal performance load) which is a 158 grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow point.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have LCRX and LCR357 and like them both, usually carry one or the other in coat pocket in cold weather as BUG. Usually carry .38 +P Critical Defense in both because of extreme muzzle blast with .357 rounds. The x model is slightly lighter, but not enough to notice and hammer on it has never been an issue.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
I'm down to 3. I've got a 357mag, 38 special, and 22 LR. My wife has the 38 special. At times I carry the 357 mag but it has 38+P in it. I carry the Remington HTP (high terminal performance load) which is a 158 grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow point.
I caught you said you were down to 3.

Did you have any of the other calibers along the way?

Now, with the "357" model, you can load up 357 or 38+P rounds, right?

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I own a pair.
One,, we bought to help with our WOT clinics. The other one,,, I won at a ROCS event.
I like both. One is 38 Spl, & the other one is a 9mm.
So, if you don't mind and have a moment, please talk to me about that 9mm. Is it a beast to shoot compared to the 38 or about the same? Does the 9mm come in an "X" version too?

sjs

Single-Sixer
.38 Special. With modern ammo I think it is effective. I reload mild loads for practice and can shoot it all day in comfort and find it a great range gun for fun. Practice is not painful. Then I add a cylinder of full loads and, while I don't want to shoot a lot of those, I can see that my practice with mild loads works because I am also accurate with the hotter rounds. I believe in carrying the biggest bullets you can shoot fast and accurately and with confidence. If that was a .22, and some day it may be, then I would carry a .22

rob-c

Single-Sixer
38+p for myself and wife,we installed the lcrx grips on them. we shoot tons of reloads and for self defense we use the old 158 grain FBI load .

USMCXD said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
I caught you said you were down to 3.

Did you have any of the other calibers along the way?

Now, with the "357" model, you can load up 357 or 38+P rounds, right?

Yes, you can use 357 or 38+P loads in the 357 mag. I haven't had other calibers just more of the same. I suspect the 38 special has been the home run of the group. Initially I was so surprised at what a nice gun and "good deal" they were. And how well thought out they were with an upgrade in trigger (when they came out I was carrying an S&W 642 which is a nice gun itself but has a lousy trigger, relatively speaking). Every time I found one that someone was selling at a good deal (usually only slightly used) I'd buy it. I'd turn around and sell them to people who had no gun at all but wanted one.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I marked 327 in the poll. 6 rounds on tap. I started with the 3" 38 LCRx and then got the 38 LCR. So I actually have 3 now. My 327 is my main carry gun and the 3" is my woods gun.