Redhawk in .45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IraIII

Bearcat
Just got a new to me Redhawk in .45 colt, 5 1/2" barrel. This is good for the Ruger only loads correct? Anyone have suggestions on bullet weights that they find these like? I don't see many Redhawks in .45 colt mostly .44 Magnum, I think this will do everything I need to do. I think I am really going to like this.

Enigma

Hunter
That gun will handle stupid-heavy .45 Colt loads, pushng the envelope even for 'Ruger Only' loads! Don't take that as an endorsement for not exercising common sense, but rest assured that is one strong, durable revolver!

Thel

Blackhawk
Here are some links to some articles on handloading:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/heavyweight_bullets.htm

Also, look at Buffalo Bore's website for some idea of upper end ammo.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My .45 Colt RH has a 7 1/2" barrel and is a great shooter. Cylindersmith reamed the throats several years back. Reaming the throats cut group size in half. I have two .454's so have no need to hotrod mine.
Enjoy !!!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
That's a great revolver. Nice purchase. I'd love to have one to complement my RH .44 mag. I especially like the 5" barrel.

IraIII

Bearcat
No, it will not accept .45acp in moonclips as the cylinder is not machined to accept them. It was made in 2005, so it is not one of the dual caliber revolvers. Chuck 100 yd were your cylinder throats undersize enough to require reaming, that is exactly the opposite problem that the early S&W's had where the throats were oversize.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
IraIII said:
No, it will not accept .45acp in moonclips as the cylinder is not machined to accept them. It was made in 2005, so it is not one of the dual caliber revolvers. Chuck 100 yd were your cylinder throats undersize enough to require reaming, that is exactly the opposite problem that the early S&W's had where the throats were oversize.

I never accuratly measured the throats in mine. I just could not push a .452" bullet through so I sent it off for reaming. Cylindersmith did a great job,reasonable and
Quick turnaround. To bad he retired but it prompted me to buy my own reamer set and do my own after that. I am a retired machinist so it is a simple operation.
I don't do it for others,so don't ask.I have a couple dozen .45's . Some needed reaming ,some don't.

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
That's all it takes. Check with a 0.451" jacketed bullet, and if they're "no-go" get them reamed.

The normal reamer used is a 0.4525" size which works just fine for the 0.452" lead bullets.

I've had several done, and IT WORKS!

:)

Don Lovel

Hunter
Shooting heavy 45 Colt guns with a 5 1/2" Redhawk? Sure, wear a padded palm glove, get a damn solid grip on it and try not to end up needing stitches in your forehead or your wrist xrayed. Use some common sense and you will be fine.
I am interested how that T grip works, I would have loved to have tried one on the 5 1/2 41 mag I used to have.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Good advice Don. I wear leather motorcycle gloves with a padded palm. A rear peep sight would look good on that. I'm spreading the word on these sights.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
You'll like this one Ira. It looks exactly like mine, grips, adapter, and barrel length. Yes you can shoot mild to WILD in the Redhawk, but I've found that the RCBS 270SAA (280 grains) at about 1050 fps to hit like Thor's hammer and is quite pleasant to shoot with the factory grip. If I occasionally go heavier, which is rare anymore, I have a set of Butler Creek rubbers that I put on the gun. No glove needed!

Dan