Sent my brand new BH Bisley to Ruger today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dtrayers

Bearcat
It's the 5.5 stainless Williams model in .45 Colt. It only had 30 or so rounds through it. I had loaded up some average 250gr lead loads (~850fps) and some heavier 300gr XTP loads (~1000 fps), but nothing crazy. Was shooting it with some friends at a LGS/range. After 30 or so rounds, we suddenly got a click when I knew there were two more rounds in the cylinder. We thought we had a bad round or primer, but there was no firing pin strike when I looked at them.

So I unloaded it to find that the cylinder lock was stuck in the down position (like when you open the gate). It wouldn't come up with the gate closed, so it allowed the cylinder to spin freely clockwise (like when reloading).

I had the gunsmith at the shop check it out and after fiddling with it the lock suddenly was working again. But it was very rough and scratchy when you pressed it with your finger, and the loading gate was really hard to move (compared to before). Something inside is obviously not right, and since it is new I called Ruger rather than opening it up myself or having the gunsmith do it. It's probably is something simple like an out-of-alignment or broken spring, but due to work travel, I'm not going to be able to shoot it again for a few weeks anyway, so why not send it off?

I also noticed that it was shooting left for all of us, even when I adjusted the rear sight to the right. The gunsmith and I measured the front sight and found it is ~0.030" to the right, so I added that to the list. I forgot and should have asked them to check the cylinder throat and bore dimensions too.

So I called Ruger this morning and they promptly sent me a shipping label.

I know they'll make it right... I'm just bummed the range time was cut short! I love that gun!

Fanner50

Bearcat
Read my "Major Problem" post a dozen or so down. I'm beginning to wonder about Ruger quality control. I hope not to have to send my back, but it will take another range trip to find out. Bummer for you. I know just how you feel.

I bought a Williams 45 LC Blackhawk last year. It was a little gritty, but the tolerances are all good and it's surprisingly accurate. I'm thinking of having a gunsmith smooth out the trigger some. But otherwise I'm very happy with mine. Sorry you had this trouble. Like you say, it might be something minor.

dtrayers

Bearcat
I also think it's minor, and it's probably something I could fix. But being that it's brand new, and I won't be able to use it for a few weeks because of work, it wasn't a big deal to send it in. Hopefully they turn it around in a few weeks.

I did have the gunsmith give me his opinion of the trigger, and he said it is very good. Surprised the gun has relatively few rounds through it. It felt well broken in. There is a tiny bit of creep, but it's really smooth with a nice break. He said he wouldn't be able to do much more with it other than lower the pull weight, and it's already at 3.75 lbs. He commented that latch issues aside, the trigger department was having a good day when they built my gun.

dtrayers

Bearcat
Update: got the revolver back from Ruger while on a business trip last week. They received it on a Tuesday, shipped back the following Tuesday by 2-day Fedex. They replaced the loading gate spring, aligned the barrel and checked the cylinder throats and barrel (in spec). They obviously fired it because it came back slightly dirty. I took it to the range today for a brief session so I could just chrono some loads. Only put 10 rounds through it, but it worked flawlessly. I'll shoot it some more next week, but I very happy with it so far and Ruger's customer service.