XR3 Rubber Grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crf450x

Bearcat
Does anybody make a rubber grip for xr3 frames? Hogue does not. I love the gun but the grip is just too small and uncomfortable. A rubber finger groove grip would make a world of difference.

G2

Hunter
I don't know of one.

The difference between XR3 vs XR3-RED with a rubber grip w/ finger grooves,,,,

I just don't see any difference,,,,

Therefore if you really want that grip just change out the grip frame too.

contender

Ruger Guru
Old Model or New Model XR-3? There is a slight difference in the location of the grip locator pin.
I do know that there aren't any rubber grips for the OM,,, but I'm not sure about the NM.
And as G2 has alluded to,, you can easily swap out grip frames to a newer XR3-RED type & the Hogues are available for those frames. The differences is in the shape of the backstrap area. The XR3-RED's have a flair,, while the XR3's are straight.
Another option is a set of custom grips to fit your hands.

crf450x

Bearcat
Thanks. I have the xr3 frame...not xr3-red. I have a feeling this will be cost prohibitive but where would I find a new grip frame at?

ADP3

Single-Sixer
crf450x,
Check Brownells or Midway USA. They both usually have them. You can get stainless or "in the white", which you'll have to have blued. They usually run around $110.

Best Regards,
ADP3

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
When the FT 44's first became available someone posted pics with Pachmayrs on his. (Dale53 maybe?) He used the grips marked for a Colt SAA and said they were not "perfect" but fit pretty well as I recall. There are several sets on eBay that are cheap enough to give it a try.

Dan

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, if you're going to ruin the fine handling qualities of a good single action sixgun by putting an oversized rubber grip on it, just trade it for a double action.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
IMHO, if you're going to ruin the fine handling qualities of a good single action sixgun by putting an oversized rubber grip on it, just trade it for a double action.

Ha! Well said, Craig, well said!

Bob Wright

crf450x

Bearcat
CraigC said:
I understand the purist way of thinking.
But I like my guns to feel good in my hands. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of rubber grips but they absolutely make the gun feel right to me.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't know this for sure but wouldn't a Hogue rubber grip for a Ruger single-action (Blackhawk) fit over the slightly smaller XR3 grip? Perhaps a little filler would take up any slop in the fit.

black029

Single-Sixer
Put a Super Blackhawk frame and stocks on it?
Doing anything to a single action grip other than putting elk, or ivory, or expensive walnut on it is SACRILEGE ;)

CraigC

Hawkeye
crf450x said:
CraigC said:
I understand the purist way of thinking.
But I like my guns to feel good in my hands. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of rubber grips but they absolutely make the gun feel right to me.
Has nothing to do with being a "purist" and everything to do with the way the gun handles. Rubber will abrade your hands and catch your clothing. It places the hand too low on the grip, putting the hammer out of reach. Not to mention that most rubber grips are the worst shape imaginable. Tuck that pinky under, the way God and Sam Colt intended.

Strong%2002b.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
I don't know this for sure but wouldn't a Hogue rubber grip for a Ruger single-action (Blackhawk) fit over the slightly smaller XR3 grip? Perhaps a little filler would take up any slop in the fit.
Problem there is that the XR3 isn't really what I'd call "slightly smaller". The only real difference is that the XR3-RED just added a little more room behind the triggerguard.

. . . and the backstrap on the XR3-RED has a slight flare towards the bottom. This is only real obvious when you try to swap standard Ruger grips one to the other. Also the locator pins aren't in quite the same location.

:)

CraigC

Hawkeye
I was only addressing the dimensional differences as they apply to the idea that the XR3 is "smaller". Because it really isn't.