Stainless different in NM Vaquero vs Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I cleaned both my 357 New Model Vaquero and Colt 45 blackhawk today. Both stainless, but the 357 just seemed almost like a completely different metal. I bought it new around 10 years ago and the Blackhawk was bought new last year. The NMV was very, very smooth compared to the Blackhawk which felt rough, like 600 sandpaper. Different color also. The NMV was almost white in color. While the Blackhawk was a much darker stainless. (Darker being relative, it is still light colored naturally.)

Are they made of the same material?

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I believe the Vaquero is polished while the BH is not. If you have the time and elbow grease, with some good polish, you can make the BH shine as well.

Oh! You're right. I didn't think of this as years ago I took the shine off with a scotch brite pad. I didn't like the high polish glare and wanted a more matte finish. But I'm sure the factory polishing would have made it smoother.

Thanks...

Armybrat

Buckeye
New Model Blackhawks have satin stainless finishes according to the catalog.

New Vaqueros are advertised as having glossy stainless finishes. Mine looks almost like it's nickeled.

44e35ad54bb5d7eb11d8b5e8049b5fcfb85c901.JPG

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Highly unlikely that stainless steel differs between fixed sight and adjustable sight Ruger single actions. The first question should be Why? Try to wrap your skull around the nightmare, from foundry to machining. There is no reason.

As suggested, differences in finish----polish, brush, bead blast, etc.----produce variations in appearance. The way light reflects from a surface can affect chromatic appearance. Highly polished stainless may look warmer than the same material brushed or bead blasted.

There is a color difference between stainless and nickel plate. Stainless looks COOL, nickel looks WARM. The nickel may show a minute gold or yellow effect.

The difference in stainless is optical not material.
David Bradshaw